Vegan Tangy Baked Beans

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on March 5, 2011

tangybakedbeans

These beans may not be the prettiest things, but they are super tasty.  If you want a boring, bland recipe this is not it.  These do take some time and if you choose to use dry beans you’ll need to soak them overnight, but they are well worth the wait, and the leftovers are even better.  I believe the original recipe had apples in it, but that didn’t sound very good to me so I’ve left them out.  If it sounds good to you try adding 2 medium sized apples in.  I find adding a little splash of liquid smoke is all it takes to get my husband to try things like this.  Give it a try, you might like it. I have these pictured with some cheesy toast, but in reality we enjoyed them so much more with plain cornbread.  I’ll post that recipe soon as well.

1 Eftychia March 6, 2011 at 12:26 pm

I like beans and these look very tasty!

2 IHeartVegetables March 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I love beans and I love spicy recipes. These look like they’d be really good! I’d probably add a splash or two of hot sauce 😉

3 fooddoodles March 6, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Mmm, yes that would be awesome! Even adding a tiny pinch of cayenne in with the other spices would be really yummy 🙂

4 Katerina March 6, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Yum! I love adding miso to make vegetarian baked beans, it is a real depth of flavour.

5 fooddoodles March 7, 2011 at 7:42 am

I’ve never tried that before. I’ll have to next time I make it 🙂

6 Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living March 7, 2011 at 5:55 am

I came over via Finding Vegan, and realized that I have the cookbook this recipe is from! I have to do a better job of browsing through the plethora of cookbooks I have ;). Mollie Katzen is wonderful, and these baked beans look delicious.

7 fooddoodles March 7, 2011 at 7:43 am

Yes, I love so many of her recipes 🙂

8 Charissa March 7, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’m trying to get more beans into my diet…such a great vegan source of protein! Recipe looks wonderful!

9 Kendall March 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Just found your blog from your comment on How Sweet, and I think I’m gonna love having this in my feed reader! Great stuff 🙂

10 Noreen February 17, 2014 at 7:15 am

I made these over the weekend and was surprised by how easy and delicious they were. Outside of the heat and serve variety, I had never made baked beans before but I’ve always loved them. I also saw it as a good opportunity to try the blackstrap molasses I’ve been hearing so much about. Thanks again for another great recipe that I can add to my rotation!

{ 1 trackback }