Seitan Pepperoni

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on April 4, 2011

Seitan Pepperoni

I’m actually on a streak of savory recipes here on Food Doodles.  This really surprises me even though it wont be for long.  When I first started this blog I thought I’d be stuck only posting sweet things.  That’s obviously what I love the most even though I’m trying to cut down on the amount of sugar we consume.  And usually I don’t like fake meats.  They’re kind of a pet peeve of mine, but this is an exception.

Seitan Pepperoni

There are so many real foods that are so much better for you and taste so good so I always wonder why people cutting out meat, immediately go for fake meats at the grocery store.  I can understand it’s a familiar thing, but open your mind.  You don’t need meat or a substitute to have a complete meal.  Like I said, this is an exception.   My meat loving husband loves this stuff.  I made half a recipe, and it lasted a day and a half.  While it was in the house my husband kept going to the fridge to steal slices, and couldn’t stay away from it even before I took pictures.  I had to be fast to get these pictures!  Even the kids loved it.  The texture is great, and it tastes fantastic.  We’ll be making it again for sure, but not as a replacement for meat, just because it’s good as it is.

Seitan Pepperoni

Seitan Pepperoni

Seitan Pepperoni

1 Jenn @ Peas & Crayons April 4, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Do you think it still would be yummy without the liquid smoke flavor? This looks SO GOOD!!!! I love the ingredients in it!

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 4, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I’m sure it would still taste good, but the liquid smoke adds a lot of the flavor. If you’re worried about artificial ingredients you can usually find liquid smoke that is just water and natural smoke. It doesn’t go bad for a long time in the fridge and it tastes amazing in vegetarian split pea soup :)

3 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama April 4, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I have only tried to make seitan once and it was absolutely horrible. It was one of the only times I haven’t eaten something I made for dinner. Maybe I did something wrong? Who knows.
You may have convinced me to give it another shot. I’m definitely intrigued!

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 4, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Oh no! What made it so awful? Was the taste off or was it the texture? I know cooking it too long can change the texture, maybe that was the problem.

5 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 4, 2011 at 7:59 pm

That looks wonderful! I have always wanted to make my own faux meat–even bought smoked paprika just for that purpose–now I have no excuse! I’ll have to give your recipe a try. Thanks! :)

6 elra April 4, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I never seen this here, not that I’m aware of. I know they carry seitan, but not pepperoi seitan. Sounds delicious!

7 Pam April 5, 2011 at 8:17 am

I have never thought to make my own pepperoni… great idea.

8 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking April 5, 2011 at 9:13 am

Wow, Heidi, this is such a creative recipe! I absolutely love it, and you did a great job. Thanks for sharing. You have a beautiful blog and I’m looking forward to exploring your recipes! :)

9 Charissa April 5, 2011 at 10:32 am

Wow, this is so awesome! I want to try this…I’m definitely bookmarking this on my Delicious!

10 SpicieFoodie April 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I have to say that the seitan pepperoni looks really good. I’ve been wanting to try it for the longest time just out of curiosity, generally I’m not a fan of “fake meats”. That is a good sign of how great it was since everyone in your house loved it. Thanks for sharing and I hope I can find the ingredients.

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Yes I was surprised how much everyone liked it. The texture is obviously different than meat but it’s chewy and really good once you get used to it :)

12 Rhiana April 6, 2011 at 11:06 am

I MUST try this. I hope my husband won’t notice it’s meatless though. :)

13 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm

He’ll probably notice. But hopefully he’ll like it anyways like mine :D

14 Zo Zhou April 21, 2011 at 4:44 am

Weee I just bought some wheat gluten for making my wholewheat breads tastier, and I just remembered this recipe. Can’t WAIT to try making my own seitan!

15 megan March 24, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I made this today and it never solidified… It ended up looking like a bunch of crumbles. :(