Wheat Berry Veggie Salad

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on April 9, 2011

Wheat Berry Veggie Salad

Usually I love pasta salads.  Obviously, they need to have a good dressing, but making one at home isn’t hard at all.  I try to choose a good whole grain pasta and lots of good veggies and fresh herbs, and then it suddenly dawned on me.  I have a cupboard full of wheat berries.  Probably about 30lbs I would guess.  Who can pass up 20lbs for $10 of local wheat?  Obviously not me. Anyways, I figured I should try them some other way other than grinding them for bread so I decided to cook them and use them in a salad.  They’re super chewy and good.  And talk about filling.  This salad isn’t very big but it will easily serve 2 for a meal or 4 as a side.  And the wheat berries are completely unrefined, and super good for you :)  You don’t have to worry about what ingredients are in your pasta.

Wheat Berry Veggie Salad

Wheat Berry Veggie Salad

Wheat Berry Veggie Salad

1 Rufus' Food and Spirit Guide April 9, 2011 at 10:58 am

That looks amazing!

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Thank you!

3 ThE DiVa DiSh April 9, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Oh my goodness…this looks amazing!
I have wheat berries, and I had NO clue what to do with them!! I think I know now :)

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Thank you! I hope you like it if you try it. Add any kind of veggies. My mind is still thinking of different combinations that would have been more exciting than what I chose for this one haha

5 Ellie @ Kitchen Wench April 10, 2011 at 12:39 am

I’ve never even heard of wheat berries before! I’m going to have to try and track some down :)

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Neither had I till I looked into grinding my own flour. They’re really yummy! You should be able to find some at a local health food store, if you can’t find them anywhere else.

7 thequirkykitchen April 10, 2011 at 1:48 am

That looks great! Very summery! :-)

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Thank you! I might be jumping the gun a little, but all I’ve been craving are summery foods!

9 The Teenage Taste April 10, 2011 at 5:41 am

I love a good pasta salad! This looks delicious. I love how you added thyme – I’ve been obsesssed wth thyme lately! I put it in everything! :-)

10 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Thank you! I’ve been obsessed with thyme too. It’s so good. I have a soup/pasta sauce recipe that uses thyme and it’s so good! I’ll have to post it soon, I’ve been craving it :D

11 marbaird April 10, 2011 at 10:15 am

Wow. I found your blog on Foodblogroll.com. I love it and can’twait to spend some time picking out great recipes.

12 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Welcome! Thanks for stopping by, I hope you find some recipes that interest you :D

13 simplynutritiouskate April 10, 2011 at 12:34 pm

This dish looks delish, I love wheatberries they are like little balls the texture is amazing.

14 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Kate! They are amazing. I love the chew :D

15 Michelle @ Find Your Balance April 10, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Ooh looks refreshing and hearty at the same time. Do you usually grind them for flour? I’ve never done that – do you have to dehydrate first or anything?

16 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Michelle!
I do grind them into flour. You can sprout the wheat before grinding it and that’s the only time you would need to dehydrate them. Otherwise they’re ready to throw in the grinder straight from storage. I haven’t tried sprouting them before grinding them for flour, but I’m definitely going to try it soon because I’m very curious about how that will change the taste and texture of bread made from the flour. Sprouting improves the digestibility of the grain, doesn’t it?

17 Alisa April 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm

wheat berries is something that I have to try soon,this looks really good.I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I’d love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this wheat berry widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for wheat berries,Thanks!

18 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into that tomorrow when I have more time :D

19 rachel April 10, 2011 at 3:38 pm

yum, that looks delicious. wheat berries are great for springtime salads :)

20 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Thanks Rachel! I’m in such a spring mood right now :D

21 Lori April 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm

My pantry is overflowing with grains as well. I always have to stock up when there is a deal. Included in the mix are plenty of wheat berries so I’m always looking for great recipes. This sounds delicious!

22 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Yes, it’s great to stock up when they’re a good deal, especially since whole(not ground) grain don’t lose nutrition over time, as far as I know.
Thank you, Lori!

23 Amber Shea @Almost Vegan April 10, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Your photos are awesome. I love wheat berries!

24 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 10, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Thank you so much! This was the first time I’ve tried them and I’m loving them too :) Can’t wait to try more recipes.

25 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine April 11, 2011 at 8:45 am

That salad looks amazing! Thank you for reminding me that I haven’t eaten wheatberries in a while… :)

26 Medifast Coupons April 11, 2011 at 10:26 am

Where did you get such a good buy on wheat berries, that is great.

27 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 11, 2011 at 11:06 am

They were grown locally and I bought them straight from the farmer. That must be why they were such a good deal.

28 Megan April 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

That looks so tasty!
I bought wheat berries from Whole Foods, just because I was curious what they were like. It’s been quite a while now, but I still haven’t found a use for them.
But I think I’ll make this tomorrow for dinner… and it’ll go perfectly with this wonderful weather we’re expecting!

29 Ashley April 11, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Looks interesting – I love the colors.

30 Wendy@CookingQuinoa April 25, 2011 at 3:18 pm

This looks so amazing! Although I cook quinoa almost daily, strangely I’ve never tried wheat berries! I can’t wait to give this a try – I need a little variety! The dressing looks like it would be good on anything. Thanks for the great recipe!

31 Sallee April 28, 2011 at 11:01 am

I just made my first wheatberry salad and it’s amazing! I chopped up black olives, cherry toms and mozzarella balls, tossed them in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar then tossed it all with the cooked wheatberries! Then I added some chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice and voila! Easy and yummy!

32 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 28, 2011 at 11:38 am

Yummy! That sounds really good. I love dressing with balsamic vinegar, I will have to try that next! And the cherry tomatoes and mozzarella sound delicious :)

33 Erin October 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Just came across this recipe and am going to try it today. I, too, never found a use for the wheat berries in my pantry. I may have been a little overzealous and I cooked them all. Do you know if you can freeze cooked wheat berries for later use?
Erin recently posted..Possibly Free Enfagrow and New Coupons