Simple Broccoli Stir Fry

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on April 13, 2011

Simple Broccoli Stir Fry

I know I’ve mentioned how small our town is.  To put it in perspective, we have one Chinese restaurant.  We have another restaurant that offers some ethnic options, but it’s not nearly as good and just recently we acquired a Thai restaurant.  Very exciting stuff, haha.  We very rarely order Chinese food let alone order out.  We ordered it maybe twice in the last three years apart from eating it at someone else house a few times.  It’s a nice treat sometimes but we always feel sick to our stomachs after.  There’s way too much salt and sugar and unhealthy fats.

So to avoid wanting to order out I make stir fry’s quite often(although I’m sure my husband dreads the words “stir fry” coming out of my mouth because it usually never involves meat.)  To me, this tastes way better than take out.  And honestly, it takes very little time.  I chop all the veggies in the morning or early afternoon and then cover them and keep them in the fridge till dinner time.  This is so handy.  If you work all day it’s frustrating to have to chop veggies for 20 minutes before getting to cook when all you want to do is eat.  And if you have little kids, dinner time is usually when they start getting cranky and making dinner takes way more time than it should.  Good thing the veggies don’t mind being chopped up ahead of time.  The night before when you have a few minutes after everyone’s gone to bed, or before work in the morning, or whenever you have a few minutes.  Then the rest is fast and easy.

Simple Broccoli Stir Fry

Simple Broccoli Stir FrySimple Broccoli Stir Fry

1 Trudy ~ Veggie num num April 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Yum! This dish looks so healthy & super tasty! My husband dreads the words stir-fry too, as in the past I was guilty of throwing in every veggie known to man eek! Still haven’t lived that down. Will try this, love that you used the broccoli stems too, they’re so tasty!

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 14, 2011 at 11:25 am

Haha, yes I overcomplicated things too. Now they’re much better with just a few ingredients. Love broccoli stems! I can’t help myself and eat a lot of them raw before they get in the pan. I can’t believe some people don’t eat them, haha.

3 Heather CJ Atkins April 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm

I love soba noodles! Can’t wait to try this.. thanks!

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 14, 2011 at 11:26 am

Us too! I know I’ve scared a couple people with the color of them before though, haha. So tasty though :) I hope you enjoy it if you do try it!

5 ThE DiVa DiSh April 14, 2011 at 12:04 am

Broccoli in stir fry is the best! :) Looks great! Beautiful Pics!

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 14, 2011 at 11:26 am

Yes! I go back and forth, roasting broccoli or putting it in a stir fry. So good! Thank you!! :D

7 Marin Casaceli April 14, 2011 at 1:52 am

I think this is one of the most indispensable information for me. And i’m glad reading your write-up. But wanna remark on some normal things, The internet site style is ideal, the articles is for real great

8 Medifast Coupon April 14, 2011 at 10:40 am

How yummy! We have to drive 45 minutes for Chinese – so we don’t – and I have learned to whip up a not to bad alternative in Chinese cuisine over the years. I look forward to trying your broccoli stir fry this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

9 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 14, 2011 at 11:28 am

It’s kind of nice being a distance away from certain places, especially restaurants. Homemade is always better anyways :D I really hope you enjoy it!

10 Lauren Hayes April 14, 2011 at 11:45 am

This looks so yummy! I love most things with soba noodles :)

11 free sms April 15, 2011 at 3:55 pm

It is a great pleasure to tell you that I love your work. You are doing a great job. Keep the spirit high.And yes i have digg your site fooddoodles.wordpress.com .

12 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Thank you!

13 Rufus' Food and Spirit Guide April 20, 2011 at 6:16 am

This looks great. Nothing eases the pain of small town food offerings like the ability to cook!

14 Tiany May 4, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Are soba noodles healthy?

15 Heidi @ Food Doodles May 4, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Yes. They’re made with part buckwheat flour which is very good for you :)

16 Tiany May 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Thank you! I’ll give this recipe a try.

17 kat January 12, 2014 at 11:43 am

Hello!
Just a reminder for those who can’t have gluten, that soy sauce has gluten in it so replace soy sauce with tamari. It is fermented as soy sauce it but without gluten added.

This recipe is delicious!