Detox Friendly, Vegan, Gluten-free, and Sugar Free Macaroons

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on April 14, 2011

macaroons

I mentioned sweets are my thing right?  I really can’t resist.  Every once in a while I cut all sweets out, except natural things like fruit, and a bit of raw local honey in my tea.  I of course allow myself the occasional indulgence, but I’ve realized that it’s not the occasional treat on the weekend that does any damage, it’s the sweet snacks every day or the not-so-good habits I fall into.  Eventually after cutting out all sweets I let my guard down and slowly allow sweet habits to start again.  These cookies however, are a nice sweet treat that has an amazing ingredients list.  I find if I can keep my blood sugar in control, I can resist anything and these cookies are perfect for that.  While the original recipe on Oh She Glows and Healthy Hoggin’ looked amazingly good too, I don’t like adding that much sweetener to anything pretending to be healthy – even if it is as good for you as maple syrup is. That’s why I love this recipe.  No added sweeteners(unless you dip them in chocolate, like me.  I couldn’t help myself with the last few cookies that were left and I definitely recommend it).  No flour.  No added fat.  No nuts, no gluten(if you make sure all your ingredients are gluten-free), and no guilt.  All natural and totally delicious.  The texture almost reminded me of shortbread.  Almost buttery and not too sweet and almost sandy because of the coconut.  I’m not sure what it was, but these are fantastic.  I’m sure the original recipe is even better, but for now I’ll stick to these ones… and just dip them in chocolate as an indulgence 😀

1 Lauren April 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’m so glad you liked them, Heidi!! =) Dipping them in melted chocolate is genius! I wish I had one to munch on right now..

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 7:56 am

Thank you so much for sharing!! I love these things 😀

3 Lauren Hayes April 14, 2011 at 3:44 pm

These look so yummy! I love how simple the recipe is too 🙂

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 7:57 am

Yes, they’re so simple and the food processor does all the work. They’re fantastic 😀

5 Lisa April 14, 2011 at 5:53 pm

These look amazing! Thanks for sharing — the simple recipes with ingredients I love are always winners in my book 🙂

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 7:57 am

Me too! The simple recipes always seem the best.

7 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama April 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm

These look amazing! Love the ingredient list. I’m totally making these this weekend. Thanks!

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 7:58 am

Awesome! I hope you love them as much as we do 😀

9 unbelloaperitivo April 15, 2011 at 11:23 am

These sound delicious! I love that they don’t have added sugar. I bet they’d taste great subbing almond butter for the coconut (although then they wouldn’t be marcaroons).

10 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Yum! I’m better that would be a really tasty option too. That opens up so many different possibilities. I’ll have to do some more experimenting 😀

11 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking April 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Heidi, these look so delicious! I would never know they’re gluten and sugar free, and vegan, too! Wowza, what a treat. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a great weekend!

12 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Thank you! I hope you have a fantastic weekend too!

13 SpicieFoodie April 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I wouldn’t be able to resist these yummy bites. Also agree with you about over sweetness, I use so little when I bake. Going to bookmark your recipe to try sometime, thanks. Have a great weekend.

14 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Yes, I really like the natural flavors in this. In things that are too sweet, all you taste is the sweetness I find. It’s a nice change. I hope you have a wonderful weekend too!

15 Jess@HealthyExposures April 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm

These look amazing!! I am the same as you, though…I hate when otherwise healthy recipes contain a ton of sugar! I think sugar is the first thing I try to minimize as much as possible. Even though I like sweets in the traditional sense of the word, my tastebuds are definitely very sensitive to extreme sweetness and even halving sugar in most recipes can be too much! I’d rather have something not sweet and just spread some jam on it, much like you did with the chocolate for these macaroons :]

16 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Yes me too! Amazing how your taste buds can change because I used to love really sweet things. Now they’re gross. That just means I have to make my goodies at home how I like them 😀

17 Tiffany April 15, 2011 at 8:02 pm

A batch just came out of my oven; the cookies not only smell wonderful but taste just as good. 🙂 I’m sure they’re even better when dipped in chocolate (the step I omitted, but only because I’m currently avoiding refined sugars). Thanks for sharing the recipe.

18 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Awesome! I’m so glad you like them! That’s the wonderful thing about these – they taste great with and without the chocolate 😀 Thank you so much for your comment!

19 Raj @ flipcookbook April 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Oh these look so delicious. Thanks for sharing both your recipes at this week’s Sugar Free Sunday. I’m gluten free – so this recipe is definitely a keeper for me! 🙂

20 Mandiee April 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I need to make these NOW. I have been looking for a gluten-free sugar-free vegan macaroon recipe for ages. Thank you for coming up with such a wholesome treat!

21 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 22, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Awesome! I hope you love them as much as we did!

22 Andrea September 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Heidi, what is a good sub for the oats? These look so yummy but I’m not supposed to have any oats in my diet….

23 nicol May 26, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Coconut= desicated coconut? I wanna try this recipe but i don’ t have the whole fruit…

24 Erin October 15, 2013 at 12:40 am

I really really want to make these but I’m not sure what you mean by “coconut”. Is it desiccated, shredded or fresh coconut? If it’s fresh, does it need to be prepped at all prior to measuring out a cup of it?

I hope to hear from you, these look awesome and I can’t wait to try them 🙂

25 Heidi @ Food Doodles October 18, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Sorry this took so long to get back to you! It’s best if you use an unsweetened shredded coconut(not desiccated or fresh) and you don’t need to do anything to it before measuring it out and using it! I hope you enjoy these!

{ 1 trackback }