Chili Bean Mash

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 5, 2011

Chili Bean MashSince starting my blog, I’ve been really bad at organizing all my recipes.  Before I started storing recipes here I had a large binder and a notebook.  We don’t have a printer so every recipe I wanted to try I would write down in my notebook and I still do this.  Then after I tried it and liked it, and wrote all my own little notes and substitutions I would write it down again in my binder to keep.  Yes, that’s a lot of writing.  But I figure my hand writing probably could use the practice since everything is typed these days, not to mention we don’t have room(that is a good distance away from the children) to keep a printer anyways.  That being said, I know most normal people have printers so I’ve added a print feature to my page.  I’ll be going back and doing that to each recipe in the near future so it will be much easier to print.

Chili Bean MashWe just recently tried the Curried Chickpea Mash from (Never Home) Maker and really enjoyed it.  It was even good over rice in a bowl with some roasted veggies on the side.  So I decided to try to make a variation.  I love the texture of the beans that are mostly(but not completely) mashed.  I made this with some really quick whole wheat tortillas.  I’ll be back tomorrow with a quick recipe for small batch flour tortillas because if you’re anything like me you don’t want to be rolling out a dozen tortillas when you only need a few.  Although if you served it with store bought tortillas and a can of beans, this would be a super fast meal.  You can also serve these in a bowl with rice and veggie or even in a gluten free tortilla for a gluten-free option.  You could also serve this with cheese and sour cream if that’s how you enjoy your chili.  I served this mash rolled up in a tortilla with a generous serving of lettuce in between.

Chili Bean Mash

Chili Bean MashChili Bean Mash

1 Kat @ Cupcake Kat June 5, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I used to keep a notebook where I copied done recipes, now I save everything on my computer in One Note. This chili looks mouth watering

2 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 6, 2011 at 7:12 am

Yay for the print feature! :-)

3 Carissa June 6, 2011 at 9:48 am

I tried your Brown Rice Pudding and I love it! As well as the Pea Pesto. I can’t stop eating it by the spoonful. :-)

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 6, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Awesome! I’m so glad you enjoyed them!

5 Anna June 7, 2011 at 4:44 am

This sounds like something I’d love; saving this recipe to try!

6 Charissa June 7, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Yay! Vegan bean thingy that looks amaaaaazing….I’m always giddy when I find a vegan recipe that needs to be highlighted in my life! Bookmarking this on my site!

7 Becca June 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm

This is wonderful! I didn’t have any celery or tomato paste, and being a student, I’m too broke and lazy to go buy some. So I made the recipe without celery. Instead of tomato paste and water I used picante sauce. It turned out great! Thanks so much for this recipe!

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Yummy! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!!

9 jess white June 9, 2011 at 6:08 am

ahh, this looks so delicious, definitely making this soon! i cant believe it’s meat-free, it has made me a very happy veggie!

10 Bonny June 20, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Hey Heidi, have you considered a wireless printer? You can have it plugged in upstairs, and no wires needed from the computer… Just and idea!

I made this again tonight, and made some substitutions to the recipe, and it does taste just like sloppy joes! I’ve typed out my substitutions below so that if anyone is looking for ideas they can use it… and Heidi, you can def try some if you want to, or post about it or w/e.
____________________________________________________________
Sloppy Joes (adapted from Chili Bean Mash)

1 TBSP oil
1 med onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 red bell peppers (or whatever color you have), finely chopped
3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
1 TBSP chili powder
2 TSP cumin
2 TSP oregano
1/2 TBSP red pepper flakes
1 TSP dry mustard
1 TBSP worchestshire sauce
1 TBSP brown sugar (packed)
1+1/2 TBSP Vinegar
1/2 cup ketcup
1 cup tomato paste
1+1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cans red kidney beans, or about 4 cups dry

Use same cooking instructions as the original recipe. It took me about 1/2 hour to make this.

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 21, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Oooh thank you! I’ll have to try this next time :D