Small Batch Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 6, 2011

Small Batch Whole Wheat Flour TortillasI make flour tortillas constantly.  Now that I’ve been making them for so long, I can’t even think about buying store bought tortillas.  To be honest, they kind of gross me out :(  Which is sad considering how convenient they are.  But making your tortillas at home really is worth it.  Usually I make double this recipe if we’re having them for dinner and leftovers, but some days we just need a few, one for lunch, 2 for kids snacks later, etc.  Then I make this recipe.  No leftovers to go stale and gross.  These are best served fresh but they do last a day or two if they’re in a sealed bag.

Besides the obvious things to have tortillas for, burritos, breakfast burritos, veggie wraps, quesadillas, etc, we like to spread them with peanut butter(or any other nut butter) and then wrap up with a banana in the center.  We also spread it with nut butter and then sprinkle it with coconut, or any other nuts or dried fruit before rolling up or folding it over.  We especially love spreading peanut butter over one, grating a small apple on top and then sprinkling with cinnamon and a small handful of raisins and rolling it up.  There are so many things to do with tortillas, how do you enjoy them?

Small Batch Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas

1 Kat @ Cupcake Kat June 6, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I’ve only made my own tortillas once and found it really difficult. I didn’t make them whole wheat though and I love tortillas so I should do it again
Kat @ Cupcake Kat recently posted..Gluten Free Date Squares with Lime and Cinnamon

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I found them really difficult at first too. They can be incredibly frustrating. I promise they get easier as you practice though! Keep trying :D If you have any specific questions leave me a comment or email me and I can try to help :D

3 Manoj Oak September 14, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Hi, Heidi,

Its great you are doing and eating fresh tortilla from whole wheat flour, if you are eating fresh every day, then please omit the baking powder as it will produce gas in your stomach, if you want to increase nutritional quality of your tortilla, then you can use fresh milk instead of water and make a dough and do the tortillas. You can also add spices powder such as garlic paste, onion paste, coriander leaves, pepper powder or you can also add green leafy vegetables in dough and do the colourfull and also different taste tortillas.
Its great you r doing and eating fresh, because the market tortillas contains so many preservatives and more chemicals.
with best regards
Manoj

4 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm

You make your own tortillas? You are now my food hero, Heidi. Seriously.
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..4 Years Ago Today

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 6, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Awesome! <3
This comment totally made my day :D

6 Maris(In Good Taste) June 7, 2011 at 2:36 am

I like that they are soft and whole wheat
Maris(In Good Taste) recently posted..Easy Entertaining- Red Lentil Hummus

7 kristy June 7, 2011 at 5:56 am

I’m loving your homemade tortillas! They look terrific. Bookmarked it. Thanks for sharing. Hope you’re having a lovely day.
Blessings, Kristy
kristy recently posted..Simple Asam Curry Fish

8 Jess@Healthy Exposures June 7, 2011 at 5:58 am

these tortillas look awesome! nice and soft. i’ve actually been thinking about tortillas/wraps lately, too!
Jess@Healthy Exposures recently posted..Without a Doubt…

9 Lauren (PB&G) June 7, 2011 at 9:39 am

Between these and the corn tortillas you made, I want to eat NOTHING but tortillas! I can’t wait to get back into the swing of things and try these recipes out!
Lauren (PB&G) recently posted..Get Your Beta-Carotene Here!

10 Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go June 7, 2011 at 10:53 am

Thank you for this! I’ve needed a recipe for vegan WW tortillas for SO long! :D
Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go recently posted..What I Miss Monday

11 Kathleen Robertson June 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I’ve been making my own tortillas for years. I first learned how when we lived in India, they are called chapattis in India, and you are right, they are difficult at first but they are worth mastering because there is no way I would ever eat one from a package. My recipe its slightly different, I may try yours next time.

12 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 8, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Mmm, yes I love making chapattis too. I didn’t realize that the dough is basically the exact same as tortillas until you mentioned it! Although sometimes I add yogurt to chapattis :) So yummy! And really worth mastering. It’s incredible the difference between homemade and store bought.

13 emily June 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I definitely want to try a batch of these this weekend. I’ve been meaning to for a while because it’s kind of embarrassing how many tortillas I eat during the week. I am not a huge bread fan, so my carbs come mainly via tortilla. :)
emily recently posted..nutritional yeast and B12

14 sally June 7, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I’ve bookmarked this recipe! I can’t wait to make my own homemade tortillas!

15 Rawkinmom June 8, 2011 at 10:46 am

HI! Just found your blog through Rawxy’s blog comments!!
I have never made my own homemade tortillas before but I def. want to try this!!! They look so yummy!!!
I just read your ABOUT section and it was like reading about myself!! LOL A lot of what you said I can totally relate to!!!
Rawkinmom recently posted..Pure Bars Review and Giveaway!!

16 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

That’s awesome! Thank you so much for stopping by :D

17 Bakerbynature June 8, 2011 at 1:51 pm

This is so practical, and I bet 29 times tastier then those store bought ones!

18 Erin @ what the fork June 10, 2011 at 12:30 pm

These look delicious, and we have tacos on the menu this week guess I don’t have to make a run to the store!
Erin @ what the fork recently posted..My New Bench

19 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 10, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Thank you! I hope they go well for you, they can be quite frustrating at first but definitely worth it :)

20 Apron Appeal June 14, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I scrolled down through this post very slowly because I was really hoping this would be a tried and true 100% whole wheat tortilla…I was a little disappointed but not too much…I’ve at least got a launching pad!

21 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 14, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Sorry! I’m still working on one that’s 100% whole wheat. I’d love to have a recipe like that too. This is what I use for now just because I know it works :)

22 Sasha June 27, 2011 at 8:07 pm

These tortillas were amazing! I actually just used all whole wheat flour because that’s what we had around the house and what we usually use, and they were actually super easy to roll out. After reading the post I was sort of expecting a challenge, but they rolled out so easy! They turned out a little stiffer than a normal tortilla, but just really delicious! Thank you for the recipe! :)

23 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 27, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback! I’m so excited to hear that you had success with all whole wheat. I’ll have to give them another try with all whole wheat because when I tried they were far too difficult to roll out. Maybe I just made a mistake with that particular batch. Thank you again! :D

24 Amie August 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I made these for the first time tonight and didn’t have a problem; but I altered the recipe a bit… I was out of AP flour, so I used bread flour. This seemed to make a dough that held together pretty well, and wasn’t sticky. To roll them out, because I don’t have a rolling pin ( give me a break; I’m a grad student!), I sprayed oil on two pieces of wax paper, sprinkled flour on the bottom one, squished the tortilla dough onto it, sprinkled more flour on top, and put the other oiled wax paper piece on top. Then I squished it mostly with the bottom of a saucepan, and then used my fingers to squish it out more to a little less than 1/8″ thick. I then was able to peel the wax paper off and pull the tortilla off of the remaining wax paper. The gluten was well enough developed that I could then stretch it out a little bit to get it thinner. I didn’t have problems with them sticking as long as I only used the wax paper once or twice, and the tortillas were still nice and soft.

25 Chiara June 13, 2013 at 8:46 am

Done! yesterday for supper!
great recipe, thank you