Vegetarian Burrito Pie

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 20, 2011

I have to admit I’ve been having a hard time getting into the kitchen to cook for the blog for the last week.  Everything else has just gotten in the way.  I have pages and pages of notes scribbled in my notebook for recipes to share with you so I’m hoping to get to work on those right away.  I love the idea of having a bunch of posts saved up and ready to go when I don’t have time to make something, but it never works out that way for me so on days that I don’t post I really haven’t had time.  Maybe in the future I’ll get a little more organized because I really do have so many recipes and so many ideas to share with you 😀

Now I realize this pie just looks like a blob.  Really not very attractive. But I promise it tastes so good.  The original recipe uses a pound of ground beef instead of all the veggies I added so feel free to use that instead(or maybe half a pound of ground beef and half the vegetables?)  Either way, this meal is good and it also freezes well as long as you make sure not to add too much water to the sauce.  You can assemble it in a tin pie plate and then cover with tin foil and freeze it for up to 3 months.  When you’re ready to eat it you can take it out and thaw it(and add 10-20 minutes to the baking time as it will be cold from the fridge) or just put it straight into the oven from the freezer(although it will take much longer to heat through, and you might want to cover the top so it doesn’t burn before the center is hot).

1 Jess@Healthy Exposures June 20, 2011 at 6:32 pm

i haven’t been doing much cooking lately, either…my blog is getting neglected, it feels like! i too love having posts “ready to go,” though. especially this time of year, so i can be out and about late and not even need to think about blogging!
this pie looks so good. love all the beans and veggies vs. beef!

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 21, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Same! I do all my blogging stuff in the time that my kids nap or late in the evening, but when it’s sunny and hot out I’d much rather be outside. I’m definitely trying to get used to blogging the summer 😀
Thank you!

3 Ashley @ The Drunk Squash June 20, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Ah I know what you mean about not having juice to cook and blog, sometimes it just isn’t there for me.
This burrito pie, however, looks great! It reminds me of this pseudo-enchilada bake that my mom makes. I love deconstructed dishes!

4 Maris(In Good Taste) June 21, 2011 at 2:24 am

It looks very delicious to me! Love the cheesiness!

5 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 21, 2011 at 4:22 am

I have a weakness for cheesy mexican casseroles and this looks fantastic!

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Mmm, me too! So easy and so yummy 😀 Thank you!

7 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 21, 2011 at 7:25 am

Many of my favorite meals are really ugly, so no worries there. This looks fantastic.

I am with you on wishing I could get ahead and have a multitude of posts ready for when life gets busy. Someday!

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I’m finding that a lot of the things I really like are ugly too, haha. Funny how they always taste the best 😀

9 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh June 21, 2011 at 8:57 am

THIS is the perfect meal for my family!! My husband would go gaga over this! He loves anything mexican, and cheesy 🙂

10 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Awesome 😀 Same with mine. Although my hubby did say it was better with meat. Next time he can have his own all to himself because there’s no way I’m making this for myself without all those veggies 😀

11 Abby June 21, 2011 at 9:07 am

This looks so good! My husband and I love all Mexican food–this might become a frequent meal!

12 Clare June 22, 2011 at 5:16 am

Heidi I have just found your blog, and it’s got some great ideas. Love this one, might well put it on the to do list.

13 Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living June 22, 2011 at 11:49 am

I have been craving Mexican food lately, and this burrito pie would totally hit the spot!

14 Memoria June 24, 2011 at 3:57 pm

My mother and I made this dish yesterday with fewer tortillas (they’re 110 cals each!), puréed black beans, and just cheese on the top layer. It was delicious! Thanks for a great recipe. 🙂

15 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 26, 2011 at 8:29 am

Thank you so much for the feedback! I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

16 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm

This sounds delicious Heidi! I love all the veggies…AND it’s got spinach! Not a lot of Mexican casseroles can boast a nutritional profile like this! And I’m totally of the mindset…the cheesier, the better! 🙂

17 niner from wechooseorganic.com July 12, 2011 at 2:44 am

Ohmy this looks delicious, I really have to try this out. Loooove mexican food.

thanks so much for commenting on my website 🙂

many blessings,
niner

18 Freddy April 14, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I made this pie and have passed it along to several people including co workers. It reheats for lunch perfectily. Only variation I did was I had some chickpeas that I chopped up and added to the mix. Delicious! This will become a regular around my house.