Spelt Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 6, 2011

Spelt Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

For quite a while, I haven’t been making cookies that I enjoy(how sad is that?!).  For a while now I’ve written them off as something only for special occasions and as a result I’ve only been making the cookies my husband likes that I don’t really care for.  Which is like, one kind.  Just recently I’ve come to the realization that making cookies with whole grains is a much better alternative.  There’s nothing wrong with a little butter(or coconut oil) and while these still do have a considerable amount of sugar, I find that the whole grains keep me from eating half the batch in one sitting.

I also find that I over complicate things.  These are good and good for you and good for a treat.  That’s all there is to it.

Spelt Oatmeal Raisin CookiesI’ve been experimenting with spelt lately and I love it :)  I can’t wait to try more recipes with it and hopefully I get some spelt from my grain csa later in the year.

A small note on this recipe, you can quite easily halve it and being a cookie I’m sure it freezes well too(although none of my batch made it that far) so if you’re like me and don’t want to be stuck with a ton of cookies you can make a smaller batch or just freeze some Spelt Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Spelt Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Spelt Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1 purabi naha July 6, 2011 at 10:53 pm

This looks really delicious…worth giving a try. You have a great blog and a great sense of photography. Do visit my blog for unique Asian (especially Indian) recipes! Happy blogging!!

2 Jess@Healthy Exposures July 7, 2011 at 5:29 am

These look great…I love when recipes call for brown sugar instead of regular, too. The taste is just so much more…complex? I don’t know. I just love brown sugar, haha. I can only imagine how yummy these are. And you’re right – there’s nothing wrong with a cookie or two. I used to overcomplicate things, too, trying to make recipes “better.” But honestly – what’s so bad about a cookie?! Just as long as they’re good ;)

3 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I agree, I love the complexity the brown sugar adds. The original recipe used some white sugar but I just like brown so much more(or even better, sucanat. I love that stuff so much, and I just tried palm sugar – yum!)

I think I’m coming out of a phase where I was trying to healthify everything to the point where it doesn’t taste good anymore. What’s the point? From now on I’m going to make my cookies just the way I want and enjoy them, and that’s it. :D

4 Maris (In Good Taste July 7, 2011 at 6:03 am

I always feel I am actually eating healthy when I have oatmeal raisin cookies. Oatmeal and raisins are both so healthy! These are going to the top of my to do list!

5 Sonia The Healthy Foodie July 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

OATMEAL COOKIES!!! OMG! I had totally forgotten about oatmeal cookies. Oh, how I love those! Bet they are absolutely wonderful with spelt flour. Must make them fairly dense. And they look pretty chewy too!

How many cookies do you get per batch? I get the feeling that I will be making those sometime soon. I can already taste them! :D

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I had forgotten how much I love oatmeal cookies! The spelt does make them fairly dense but I like my cookies that way anyways :D
The original recipe says it makes 2 1/2 dozen but I think I got slightly less than that. I found a half recipe was just about perfect for myself and the kids since they last at least a week if covered(not that they did last that long :D).

7 Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 July 7, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I’ve never cooked with spelt before, but you make it seem so easy. I’m bookmarking this!

8 kankana July 7, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I never tried spelt and have no idea how it will taste. But these cookies looks lovely and the crisp is amazing.

9 Nami @ Just One Cookbook July 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm

It’s only recent that I realized I love oatmeal cookies… I never realized how much I enjoy the texture and taste… I thought it’s too grainy before but now I’m very addicted to oatmeal cookies! This looks FABULOUS!!!!

10 Shirley@kokken69 July 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I have always been really curious about spelt- you’ve given me a good good reason to get some and try it out!

11 Marla July 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm

These cookies have so many wonderful, healthy ingredients. Love that spelt flour.

12 Vivienne July 8, 2011 at 12:50 am

wow heidi, your cookies turned out looking fantastic! :) the colour is great – i think i over baked mine a bit in the last batch!

same here – i find myself baking cookies that other ppl like more often than what i like (which is anything filled with grains and oats and other goodies!)

13 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen July 8, 2011 at 1:21 am

They so beautiful and golden, this is my husband’s favorite kind of cookie!

14 Simone July 8, 2011 at 6:33 am

I’ve never used spelt in anything or at least not as far as I can remember but these cookies look delicious AND healthy which has got to be a bonus, right? They look fantastic and I’m sure they would not make it to the freezer here either!

15 Baltic Maid July 8, 2011 at 11:47 am

These cookies look delicious… and made with spelt, that is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

16 Pure2raw Twins July 8, 2011 at 4:15 pm

YUM YUM it is has been forever since I have had oatmeal raisin cookies! Now I am craving some ;)

17 Alexa Ledger July 11, 2011 at 3:18 am

I had the same issue with making cookies that I was not happy with, so I too started to experiment with spelt flour. I made chocolate chip spelt cookies and they worked a treat…and I agree that they make it easier to stop after one (or two) cookies, more easily than plain flour. I find wholewheat flour also makes a great rustic cookie. I have yet to add oats to mine though but I feel a test coming on today…thanks for the inspiration. Keep the spelt recipes coming :)

18 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 12, 2011 at 9:22 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one! I love the flavor and texture spelt adds, if you like it I’m sure you’ll love some oats mixed in! Thank you for the encouragement! Our weather is supposed to be cooler for a few days so I’m excited to get back to baking :D

19 Jaclyn July 11, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Ooo, these look great. I’ve made the switch to mostly spelt in my day-to-day life but hadnt really thought much about cookies. Why? I have no idea. Guess cookies didnt hit the radar since I’ve been on the “healthy” bandwagon. Thats about to change! :) Thanks for posting a great recipe that is still healthy.

20 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 12, 2011 at 9:25 am

I’ve been on that same “healthy bandwagon”!! It’s been so nice to realize that I can treat myself with things like these though. Treats that are still good for you :D

21 Leah September 14, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hi! I just made these cookies with maple syrup instead of sugar and they ame out awesome! I have a feeling agave would also work in here. Thanks! I love spelt and the oats combine nicely with it!

22 Erica M December 2, 2012 at 10:37 am

Just made these and they are delicious! The kids won’t stop asking for more. Thank you a great recipe.

23 katie January 19, 2014 at 9:48 pm

I realize that this post is years old, but I just made these and can’t not comment. These cookies are amazing – chewy on the inside and just crunchy enough on the outside. I used 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 of sucanut, and subbed almond butter for a few tablespoons of the butter (or earth balance, which is what I had). Next time I might just use 1/2 cup total sugar – I think they’d still turn out great!
katie recently posted..Photo

24 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 31, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, even if this post is pretty old :) I’m so glad you enjoyed them! It’s been a long time since I made a batch, I really have to make them again, thank you for the reminder!