Cherry Almond Granola

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 13, 2011

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before, but we live in a place that produces a variety of different fruits and one of the major ones is cherries.  My parents even live on a cherry orchard so usually we get some cherries to freeze and dry and just to enjoy.  So all year long I have sweet dried cherries to do things with.  And I’ll admit, I still have a ton left and I’m looking all over for ideas.  Good thing I tend to over-dry things so it’s not like they’re going bad any time soon 😀

I know dried cherries can be expensive so if that’s a concern add whatever dried fruit you like that fits in your budget I’m sure just about anything will taste good in this granola 🙂

It seems like I’m back on a granola kick.  For a while there I was making meusli which I still enjoy, but honestly, who doesn’t think granola is better?  We’re especially enjoying this just as a dry snack for some reason but it’s great any way you like eating granola 🙂

And just so you know, chocolate chips make this granola even better.  I can’t think of a better combo than almonds cherries and chocolate.  I didn’t add an amount into the recipe because we’ve just been adding a few here and there instead of adding it to the whole batch.  I’ll leave it up to you to decide how many to add 😀

1 Jess@Healthy Exposures July 13, 2011 at 5:10 pm

I love granola as a snack, too – and basically on anything! Lucky you to have so many cherries. I love the things, though I am a bit “lazy” when it comes to pitting them 😛

2 Maris(In Good Taste) July 13, 2011 at 6:48 pm

The cherry orchard must be so beautiful You are very lucky! Homemade granola is an awesome snack!

3 Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie July 14, 2011 at 3:59 am

You are so lucky to have so many cherries! I LOVE them but rarely buy them since they are so expensive. I’ve never even had dried cherries :(.

4 bakerbynature July 14, 2011 at 5:20 am

I love making homemade granola, and that picture with the chocolate chip addition reminded me it’s time for breakfast!

5 Angie@Angiesrecipes July 14, 2011 at 5:31 am

Lucky you having cherries (fresh or dried) all year long! Homemade granola tastes way better than the store bought.

6 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum July 14, 2011 at 6:04 am

My sister just made us some cherry almond granola… I loved those cherries in it!

7 Sonia The Healthy Foodie July 14, 2011 at 7:39 am

Oh Lord! I want this for breakfast now! I am loving your recipe, and your pictures, especially the one directly above the recipe. Great composition! And that pitcher is so niiiiice! 😀

You are so lucky to have access to cherries in such large quantities. They would be one of my favorite fruits, it’s a tie between them and raspberries for 1st place. I’ve never tried them dried, however.

I think I know what my next food discovery will be! 😉

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

Thank you! I spent some time thinking through this one and I’m loving the end result. For a while there I was just on autopilot and not being creative enough. I’m glad you like the pitcher! I had forgotten I even had it until I went through my props(they’re all kind of scattered in my kitchen and not all in one place).

Cherries were one of my favorite fruits too, until I worked into a cherry sorting plant! After seeing cherries all day every day for a month I don’t like them as much. But I still enjoy them 😀 I’m enjoying raspberries more this year than before, I can’t get enough!

9 Samantha July 14, 2011 at 8:27 am

I’m munching on some cherries right now! As soon as cherry season hits you better believe I have a ton! I need to get on the freezing and drying fruit wagon ASAP, I missed out on freezing strawberries already! I wish I knew someone on a cherry orchard! lucky!

10 Carissa July 14, 2011 at 8:34 am

I’m obsessed with collecting granola recipes and yet I rarely ever make it. This is going to be my inspiration to make another batch!

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

Me too! I have so many granola recipes saved I’ll never get through them all. I thought I was the only one. I hope you enjoy this granola!

12 kristin July 14, 2011 at 9:45 am

We just bought and planted a little cherry tree. I’m really excited to try them when we actually get some (which will probably be next year). I could buy them from the grocery store, but they’re never very good. I bet fresh (and dried) cherries are amazing! You’re lucky to have such an abundance of them.

13 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 14, 2011 at 10:56 am

Exciting! And the blossoms are so pretty, you’ll get to enjoy those too 😀

14 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 14, 2011 at 11:23 am

Oh my gosh. I wish I lived in a place with fresh cherries everywhere! We live 5 hours or so away from Summerland BC, the place with the BEST fresh cherries in the world. Your granola looks amazing.

15 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 14, 2011 at 11:57 am

Nice! I think we’re about 4 or 5 hours from Summerland too, but we’re south east of it. It is nice not to have to travel for cherries(and a lot of other things that grow around here), but it’s hard to beat the Okanagan for fruit 🙂

16 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Oh that’s awesome! Where abouts are you? Guessing BC. It’s totally fair to say that anywhere in BC has some of the best produce. We’re in Alberta. Not too much fresh fruit out here 🙁

17 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Aw 🙁 I’ve lived in BC my whole life but I know we’re super fortunate to have what we do around here. We live in Creston, about an hour south west of Cranbrook.

18 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 14, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I LOVE Creston (and Cranbrook) my family and I used to go there a lot for summer vacations. You’re so lucky! I bet it’s so hot there right now.

19 Pure2raw Twins July 14, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Granola sounds delicious. I just love coconut sugar in baked goods. I love the texture and flavor it provides my gluten free baking 🙂

20 Maryanna July 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I have dried cherries in my pantry… I really want to make this now. I’ve never even heard of coconut sugar before, but I’m intrigued and want to try it.

21 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 14, 2011 at 10:04 pm

That’s awesome 😀 Actually funny you should say that, all afternoon and evening it’s been cold and dark and it only got up to like 20 degrees today. Awful!