Cacao Cherry Banana Soft Serve

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on August 10, 2011

Again with another cold and refreshing treat.  In fact I think after this I’m going to go make more popsicles too.  But some different flavors of course 🙂

I thought since it’s been quite a while since I recieved my Swanson order that I mentioned here I should finally finish up my review now that I’ve had a chance to try everything.  As I mentioned before, I received a $25 gift certificate to try a few things of my choice.  I already mentioned that I received Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Brown Rice Flour and NOW Foods Xanthan Gum, but I also received NOW Foods Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Swanson Organic Certified Organic Raw Cacao Nibs, Vita Coco 100% Pure Coconut Water and Swanson Organic 100% Certified Organic Freeze-Dried Strawberry Slices all for just over $25 before shipping.

As I mentioned in the last post I’m very happy with the brown rice flour in baking and the xanthan gum in smoothies and healthy milkshakes.  The cacao nibs and the vita-coco I had been so curious to try from hearing about them and I enjoyed them just as much as I thought I would.  Anyone else find coconut water really filling?  And it’s so naturally sweet, I will get more again for sure, but probably not on a regular basis just because of the price.

I decided on the strawberry slices as a treat and we’ve all really enjoyed them, just don’t leave them in a baggie in a hot car they go soft and sticky and not very yummy.  Good thing there was only a couple left.  Lastly, I’ve tried brown rice syrup before, but this brand was quite different – much sweeter.  The brown rice syrup I tried before was much less sweet in comparison to honey but this was just as sweet as.  Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to consider when using brown rice syrup in a recipe, the sweetness may vary.

Out of everything, I have to say I love the cacao nibs the best.  Really, why haven’t I tried these sooner?  If you haven’t tried them, you really should.  On their own they’re like the chocolate version of eating a coffee bean and in ice cream they are so amazing.  I like them way better than chocolate chips because they don’t harden like cold chocolate chips, which I don’t particularly enjoy.  If you don’t have any cacao nibs feel free to sub chocolate chips in this recipe though 🙂

1 torviewtoronto August 10, 2011 at 5:06 pm

delicious combination lovely way to have banana

2 Richa August 10, 2011 at 7:52 pm

nice.. i love cacao nibs in everything .. and thats a good amount of stuff in 25 bucks. i was just thinking of trying one these online retailers and compare prices.. iherb, swanson..
Have a fun day!
-Richa

3 Stephanie August 10, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Those cacao nibs sound really good, I’m going to keep an eye out for them 🙂

4 Kathryn August 11, 2011 at 1:56 am

I love how you use such healthy ingredients to create something that looks so delicious!

5 Sonia The Healthy Foodie August 11, 2011 at 8:54 am

Aren’t cacao nibs amazing? One of my favorite discoveries of the year for sure, along with coconut flour! I love love love their crunchy texture and bittersweet taste. Your soft serve looks pretty tasty, I’d go for a bowl right about now! 😉

6 Clarkie @ Beloved Green August 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Just gorgeous!

7 Amy-Nutrition by Nature August 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Looks very yummy. I do like cacao nibs and use them to top off smoothies or pie, they are delicious.

8 Amy @ Gastronome Tart August 11, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Ha ha! Our mind must be in the same place with the frozen treats and bananas with chocolate! I have never tried xantham gum or the rice syrup before. So many new things to try! In terms of coconut water? I am literally obsessed. I wish it wasn’t so because it is a bit pricey, however one time when I was at the checkout with a countless supply of coconut water, the checkout lady told me to try Goya’s Coconut Water. She said it comes in a can and has some pulp in it, but it tastes great and is almost half the cost. I will have to try it next time. I will let you know how that pans out 🙂

9 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I actually think I’ve tried that! I used to be able to get it at my local grocery store but since then I can’t find it in town. I’m not sure if it’s the same brand, all I remember is that it comes in a blue can but I loved the little pulp pieces in the kind I’ve tried 😀 For half the price I hope you enjoy it as much as the pricier stuff!

10 Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 11, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Oooh cherry ripe ice cream!!! I regularly (every weekend) make a choc banana smoothie for Mr Chipconnoisseur in a very similar way to this. But love the addition of cherries to the mix. Might see if he likes your rendition :0

11 Pure2raw twins August 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Love cherries! The funny thing is I just recently started liking them! Now I love them in smoothies or puddings!!!

12 Eron August 11, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Mmmm — sounds luscious! I’ve never used xantham gum in smoothies or ice cream-y recipes, only in gluten-free baking. Thanks for the suggestion! And thank you for stopping by the hopeful kitchen : ) Eron

13 Ashley @ The Drunk Squash August 11, 2011 at 10:01 pm

This looks so decadent and delicious! I love these healthy(ish) dessert recipes that take advantage of the natural sweetness of fruits! I’ve never used xantham gum before… I’ll have to look that one up

14 Jo@Jocooks August 12, 2011 at 11:44 am

Oh I want some!!! It looks soo good! Where do you buy xantham gum from? Never used it before.

15 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I bought it from Swanson Health Products but you can probably find it in any health food store. It’s not necessary, but does make it creamier and thicker. It can also be expensive but you use very little at a time.

16 Nami | Just One Cookbook August 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm

What a nice and lovely creamy dessert! It’s a great summer treat for the kids, too. Hmm… but it looks like one bowl won’t be enough for me! =) Heheehee

17 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free August 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Just came across your site…love it! And I love banana ice cream-tastes like the real stuff! What a fabulous cherry, chocolate combo-must try! I have a freezer full of bananas to use 😀

18 chopinandmysaucepan August 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

This looks wonderfully nice and creamy! The only thing is that it’s still a little cold here in Sydney but I’m looking forward to this when spring arrives 🙂 🙂

19 Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness August 13, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Mmmmm, my list of banana soft serve flavors to try keeps growing and growing… not that I’m complaining 🙂

20 Marsha @ The Harried Cook August 17, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Gorgeous soft serve! Love it… It looks creamy & delicious, and I love the flavors… thanks for sharing 🙂
Marsha @ The Harried Cook recently posted..Apple, Rosemary & Olive Oil Cake