Blue Plum Crisp

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on October 21, 2011

Blue Plum CrispThese are one of my favorite fall fruits and often a misunderstood one.  These are blue plums.  I’ve also heard of them being called Italian blue plums or prune plums.  We usually dry some, and technically make prunes, but these are nothing like any prunes I’ve ever had before so we usually just refer to them as dried plums.  They’re addictive and delicious, just like the fresh fruit.

I’ve seen many people online saying that they’re no good for eating, that they’re far too sour, but that is not the case when they’re ready.  When these are ready there should be no sign of red, or maybe just a tiny little bit of red barely visible through their blue color, if you like them slightly sour.  They should be firm to the touch.  If they’re soft and wrinkly I’m afraid I consider those too far gone(unless you want to dry them or make fruit leather out of them), but they’ll be super sweet at that point if you do try them.

Blue Plum CrispI’ve found many things to do with them, but since the season is pretty much over for our area I think I’ll just have time for this one recipe.  Although I do also freeze them so I’m sure I’ll be making plum recipes out of season too.  This is one of our favorite recipes for using up these plums, and if you have a tree(or a friend or neighbor with a tree) you’ll know that this recipe wont even make a dent in your plum supply, but it’s a yummy way to use a few up.

Blue Plum Crisp

Blue Plum Crisp

1 surlykitchen October 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm

i love plums. this looks and sounds divine
surlykitchen recently posted..Fall Harvest Soup

2 Michaela October 22, 2011 at 6:41 am

I love those plums! They are nearly everywhere in Germany, lucky me, haha!
If I don´t have enough plums, I add some apples.
Michaela recently posted..Giveaway

3 Heidi @ Food Doodles October 27, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Haha, I definitely consider that lucky :D I was thinking of trying apples in this, because the plums have such a strong flavor. I’ll have to try it now :)

4 Michaela October 27, 2011 at 5:36 pm

oh yes, try it, I am sure you will love it :)
Michaela recently posted..Zucchini- und Auberginen-Röllchen.

5 sally October 23, 2011 at 9:05 am

I love crisps of all kinds and wish I had some of those yummy looking plums to make this recipes.
sally recently posted..Calabacitas Enchiladas

6 Editorial Team @ Healthy Aperture October 23, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Makes you want to dig right in. We love that this is made with whole wheat!

7 Rawkinmom October 24, 2011 at 6:47 am

I have never had these but the look super amazing!!! I love fruit crisps so I am sure this one would be super yummy!!
Rawkinmom recently posted..Veggie Soup = Perfect Fall Meal

8 Liz @ Southern Charm October 24, 2011 at 10:46 am

Wow! This looks amazing!!! I love plums and just have to make this stat!

9 Carissa October 25, 2011 at 10:49 am

My parents have a tree in their yard with these. We’ve always called them Italian plums. During plum season, Dad would pick them by the bucketful! He always eats so many that we didn’t need to do much baking with them!
Carissa recently posted..Garden in the Fall

10 em October 26, 2011 at 4:54 am

Looks like a great use of blue plums. I don’t think I’ve ever baked with these before.

And congrats on expecting your 3rd little one!
em recently posted..apple addiction

11 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} October 26, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I’ve never seen these plums. I love a good fruit crisp though so I’m sure I’d love this. I tried to leave you a comment on the last post, by the way, twice, but the comment page wouldn’t load. Anyway, I wanted to say congrats again! I’m so happy and excited for you. :-) And I’m very happy you’re back with more great recipes.
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..Potato cauliflower bake

12 Heidi @ Food Doodles October 27, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Oh no, I wonder what’s wrong with it. I’ll take a look and see if maybe I did something to it :/ Thanks for letting me know! And thank you!!
Oh, and I know exactly what you mean, fruit crisps have to be my favorite no matter what fruit is in it :D

13 Pure2raw twins October 26, 2011 at 7:59 pm

yum – love plums, though the funny thing it is that I don’t eat them that much! that crisp looks incredible!

14 Sara November 12, 2011 at 5:47 pm

I was lucky enough to find lots of these a few months ago (enough to generate two blog posts in fact). They certainly have enough names, I hadn’t heard “blue plums” before so that’s a new one for me–sounds nicer than prune plums and less odd than quetsch. Wanted to let you know I got your badge for tasteologie and noted on my links page. Thanks! Also glad to have found your blog, am enjoying poking around here.
Sara recently posted..The Cocktail Column- Casa Mezcal