Quinoa Stuffing Stuffed Squash

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on November 3, 2011

Quinoa Stuffing Stuffed SquashThis week my column was on Hubbard squash.  As much as I love squash, I had never tried hubbard.  Usually they’re too big(especially considering that besides the kids I’m the only one eating it) and to be honest I’m a little scared of them.  When I was asking about squash for my column, a lady at the market pointed me to these small squashes in different colors that are actually smaller hubbard squashes.  Awesome!  After giving them a try, they really are delicious, I’ll be buying them more frequently :)  Have you tried hubbard squash before?  What’s your favorite kind of winter squash?

If you’re serving this to kids it can be difficult for little ones to scoop out the squash but since the egg holds things together a little you can slice it into thick slices and then with a knife take off the peel, making it much easier for little ones to scoop and feed themselves.  For even younger ones you could slightly mash the squash and mix in the quinoa to make a full baby meal :D  If you don’t like the tartness of fresh cranberries(even though I find they do contrast with the sweet squash really well) you can substitute dried cranberries if you like them better.  Surprisingly, my almost 2 year old daughters favorite part was the fresh cranberries so you never know till you try it Quinoa Stuffing Stuffed Squash

Quinoa Stuffing Stuffed Squash

Quinoa Stuffing Stuffed Squash

1 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 3, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I loved stuffed squash and your filling looks really good. I love that your daughter enjoyed the fresh cranberries! :-)
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..Are you really eating whole grains?

2 Pure2raw twins November 3, 2011 at 5:35 pm

looks great! perfect for this time of year

3 surlykitchen November 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm

stuffed squash is one of my favorite meals. this looks super yummy

4 Editorial Team | Healthy Aperture November 3, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Perfect for the upcoming holidays

5 Michaela November 4, 2011 at 4:39 am

this looks absolutely delicious!
I have never tried that stuff (not yet :))!
Michaela recently posted..Happy.

6 Rawkinmom November 4, 2011 at 9:37 am

This is a perfect holiday dish!!!
Rawkinmom recently posted..Sometimes……

7 Sonia The Healthy Foodie November 4, 2011 at 1:33 pm

That looks YUM, Heidi! I don’t think I’ve ever even heard of hubbard squash, but I figure I could very well use my favorite: acorn! Also, I think I would sprinkle some goat cheese on mine. As for the cranberries, I love that you are using fresh. Fresh cranberries are just the best. My daughter and I just go gaga for them. We’ll sit down with a bag and wolf the whole thing down (if we lose control, that is…)

Love this recipe!
Sonia The Healthy Foodie recently posted..Creamy Cauliflower, Carrot and Brazil Nut Soup

8 Gosia November 5, 2011 at 3:57 pm

What a great combination – squash and quinoa – both my favourites. Gotta try! Right? I, too, get my squash fix of recent, roasting it and then doing almost anything with the pulp – cakes, tarts, soups, pasta, but I haven’t done the stuffing yet and it looks so, so yummy. Thanks for the recipe.
Gosia recently posted..Picky about My Yogurt

9 Winnie November 10, 2011 at 7:08 am

I love winter squash in all forms and stuffed with this yummy quinoa filling? Sounds fantastic.
Winnie recently posted..Fall Garden Greens with Apples and Walnuts

10 Amy @ Gastronome Tart November 11, 2011 at 8:29 am

I have tried Hubbard squash once and it was so huge! Delicious but hard to break it down. This recipe is perfect for it!
Amy @ Gastronome Tart recently posted..Station 2- Restaurant Review

11 Vianney Rodriguez November 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Great recipe. I love squah and your filling looks amazing!

12 Gosia November 18, 2011 at 9:34 pm

This is one of those mouth-watering recipes that you know you gotta make. I love squash, but never thought to combine it with quinoa. I bet it’s a perfect combination.
Now on another note, I’ve just realized you’re pregnant. What great news. Congratulations.
Take a good care of yourselves.
Gosia
Gosia recently posted..Cotton

13 gina November 27, 2011 at 7:23 am

i love squash…all kinds but i have to admit i’ve not heard of hubbard squash? they look like acorn squash. anyway, in my mind they have to be wonderful…they are squash! now adding your quinoa goodness to it, even more wonderful. i will be trying this sooner than later.

14 Kristy Kelley September 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Ahhh, this looks gluten free and extremely yummy! I will be trying this soon.

– Kristy @ Wine Logic