Vegetarian Bean Borscht

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on December 28, 2011

Is anyone else having a hard time getting motivated?  I’ve actually been abnormally motivated around the house, organizing, cleaning and simplifying things, but not so much in experimenting in the kitchen.  I’d like to blame my lack of motivation in the kitchen and on the blog on the more relaxed time of year, the lack of decent lighting for taking food pictures, or the internet problems that have been coming and going for the last week, but I know that too much sugar and not enough good stuff has left me feeling blah(not to mention sick), so I’m slowly working back to my normal self.  That being said, I actually made this soup a while ago and now I’m pulling leftovers out of the freezer.  I love sticking to the recipes I know, and being able to dig meals out of my freezer, but I am getting more and more motivated to get back in the kitchen with some new healthy recipes.

As much as I enjoy this soup, I’m a little nervous about sharing this recipe – at least under this name.  It’s actually inspired by this recipe passed onto me by my sister in law.  I liked the general idea so I made my own version and at the end I realized, despite the lack of meat and the addition of beans this is unusually like the borscht I’m used to.  That being said, borscht is on my side of the family and my husbands side and strangely enough despite the many variations in borscht recipes the two must be very similar because they taste almost the exact same.  So I’m a little nervous to call this borscht with it’s obvious differences, but that’s really what it reminds me of and if you give it a try you’ll see different can be delicious too 🙂

1 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} December 28, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I’ve never had borscht of any kind. It makes a really pretty soup, though!
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..Luke’s birth story: part 1

2 Pure2raw twins December 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I seem to go through moment where I am really motivated to days when I am struggling for that motivation 😉
love this version of borscht!! looks great!

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 28, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I wouldn’t know a “real” borscht if I saw one, so this still looks perfectly fine (and delicious) to me! I don’t cook with beets often enough at home even though I love them.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Raw cherry chocolate hazelnut balls

4 li December 28, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I’ve been trying to eat healthy meals this week in between feast-filled weekends. This soup looks great, and I love that the kidney beans and beets are similar colors!
li recently posted..Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

5 lisaiscooking December 28, 2011 at 8:54 pm

lisaiscooking recently posted..Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

6 Heather December 29, 2011 at 7:01 am

Borscht for some reason is one soup that I have always been afraid to make – I have never seen a version like this – I am loving it! I am embarking on a 21 day cleanse (much like you I have enjoyed far too many sugary sweets) a version of this soup will definitely be in my rotation – thanks for sharing such a unique recipe 🙂
Heather recently posted..cranberry citrus bundt ~ cinnamon glaze

7 Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño December 29, 2011 at 8:27 am

This looks delicious and how pretty as a vegetarian dish. Very very well done, your blog is fantastic!

8 Julia December 31, 2011 at 9:58 am

My family always has borscht on Christmas Eve, it’s a Polish tradition and it’s always just liquid, I think that is typical borscht. We always drink it out of a cup and my dad even likes to dip his pierogi into the soup! But this looks really yummy and I think I would even enjoy some texture in it! Yum!

9 The Café Sucré Farine January 2, 2012 at 2:48 am

So pretty and sounds delish!
The Café Sucré Farine recently posted..Cashew Ginger Chicken Stir Fry & a Secret Method for Perfect Basmati Rice

10 Angie@Angie's Recipesa January 3, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’ve never tried borscht….this looks so pretty. Love the dark purple colour…so appetizing!
Angie@Angie’s Recipesa recently posted..Radicchio Salad with Chicken in Kiwi Vinaigrette