Cherry Brown Rice Pudding

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on March 14, 2012

Cherry Brown Rice Pudding

This was one of those posts that I was just going to forget about.  The pictures aren’t that exciting, in fact I think they’re kind of bland.  But at the same time, I’m a huge fan of brown rice pudding and this was definitely delicious and not bland at all.  I said it last time I made brown rice pudding but I’ll say it again.  If you don’t like rice pudding made with regular white rice, don’t give up on this!  I’m not really a fan of regular rice pudding, but made with brown rice it’s one of my favorite desserts.

Cherry Brown Rice Pudding

You can stick with raisins like I did the first time I posted about brown rice pudding, or you can add different dried fruits – or even some fresh fruits are yummy, like apples – or you could even leave it plain.  There are so many variations!

Brown rice is one of those things I usually have in the fridge, and if not I have extras stored in the freezer for when I need them at a moments notice.  Next time you make brown rice make sure to make a big pot Cherry Brown Rice Pudding

Cherry Brown Rice Pudding

I ended up topping my rice pudding with some cherries that I had in the freezer that I cooked with a little honey and cornstarch.  Fresh cherries would be amazing in the summer, but I prefer this as a wintertime dessert because it’s so filling, creamy and comforting.  Not to mention I think it’s even more delicious served warm, but cold isn’t bad either Cherry Brown Rice Pudding

Cherry Brown Rice Pudding

Cherry Brown Rice Pudding

Check back on Friday for a giveaway!

1 Erin @ Texanerin Baking March 14, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I’ve never had rice pudding before and I just had brown rice for the first time recently. It never loses its crunch. So does that make this pudding crunchy? I’m happy you didn’t ditch this post, I would have never considered making rice pudding. :)
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Healthy Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles March 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I wouldn’t call it crunchy, but it definitely keeps it’s chewy texture.

3 Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} March 14, 2012 at 6:07 pm

What a fantastic and healthy dessert!! I think my girls would totally eat this up! Great Recipes Heidi!
Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} recently posted..Baked Blueberry Oatmeal

4 Eat Good 4 Life March 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Wow, I haven’t had rice pudding in for ever and I haven’t actually though about making it with brown rice. This would be a great alternative as a sweet treat for my kids and I am thinking that even with raisins and some flax seed meal wouldn’t be bad :-)
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Home made Irish cream

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles March 15, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Yes! You could health it up some more, for sure! I love the flax seed meal idea! That would help make it nice and thick too.

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm

This is the second rice pudding recipe I’ve seen today. Couple with the fact that I’ve already had this hankering for it for the past couple of weeks and now I’m straight up craving it. I never make rice pudding at home but absolutely love it and it doesn’t get better than brown rice + cherries!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Wine, fondue and friends

7 Kathryn March 15, 2012 at 3:53 am

I’ve never made rice pudding with brown rice before but it sounds absolutely delicious!
Kathryn recently posted..lemon and white chocolate cupcakes

8 Joanne March 15, 2012 at 6:09 am

I really need to just start cooking up large pots of rice and grains on the weekends…so that I can have rice pudding all week long! This sounds so delicious and perfectly spiced!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Golden Thai Curry with Green Beans {eat.live.be.}

9 Rawkinmom March 15, 2012 at 6:53 am

I have never tasted any rice pudding before…..but yours sounds delish!
Rawkinmom recently posted..Coconut Blueberry Granola

10 mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry March 15, 2012 at 7:06 am

Hey Heidi! Cherries are one of my all time favorite fruits so I’m really glad you didn’t “forget” about this post and decided to share it with us! I have never made brown rice pudding but I’m willing to try it out – especially as a healthier dessert option for my hubs and son. Yum!!!
mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry recently posted..Roasted Baby Eggplant

11 Nicole, RD March 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

LOL! I love the photos! I can’t believe you think they’re bland!

An as for the pudding – yum! I ADORE cherries. LOVE them more than most any other fruit…can’t wait to try this!
Nicole, RD recently posted..Foil Baked Basil Pesto Salmon

12 Baking Serendipity March 15, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I love brown rice…and I love cherries…but I’ve never made a rice pudding before. Must try!
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Baileys® Brownie Cheesecake Truffles

13 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes March 15, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Mmm, this sounds delicious. I’ve never made even regular rice pudding, but it sounds so dull compared to this! The flavor combination rocks!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Juicy Fruit Bouquets

14 Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 16, 2012 at 4:58 am

I love the sound of this recipe… Great combination of flavors… I adore cherries… This sounds perfect! And I think it looks like chocolate rice pudding :) That would add to the appeal for my little girl :)
Marsha @ The Harried Cook recently posted..Moist Chocolate Cupcakes w/ Whipped Ganache Frosting

15 Sonia The Healthy Foodie March 16, 2012 at 7:45 am

Oh no! Not that rice pudding again! Heidi, you are killing me. This has to be THE BEST rice pudding in the whole world, and whenever I see it or think about it, I get a major craving for it. And now, I can’t even have it…

This cherry version looks incredibly delicious. And apples? OMG! Why did you have to go say this? Now I want some so bad.

And you are so right. I never liked rice pudding, until I tried your brown rice version. You made a new fan, that’s for sure!

Not sure whether I should thank you or curse you for it! ;)

Of course, you know I’m kidding. I’ll forever be thankful to you for this amazing addition to my cooking repertoire! :)
Sonia The Healthy Foodie recently posted..Poached Egg over Creamy Polenta [with Oyster Mushrooms, Blue Cheese and Pistachios]

16 Stephanie March 16, 2012 at 12:17 pm

This looks so delicious! I actually love the flavor of brown rice so I bet that I’d like it in a pudding
Stephanie recently posted..Snickerdoodle Cookie Sandwiches & The Globe and Mail

17 Terra March 16, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I love the idea of brown rice pudding, that sounds sooooo good! I love the nutty flavors of brown rice, I can only imagine the brown rice with cherries was fantastic! Take care, Terra
Terra recently posted..Quinoa Banana Nut Quick Bread Bars

18 Heather March 19, 2012 at 7:24 am

I have to say I have never had rice pudding before- I think it is because of the name….much like Bread Pudding, which I avoided forever and am know in love with it- I am thinking this is definitely worth a try, love the cherries on top!

19 Alana March 29, 2012 at 1:35 am

Yum! I’ve only ever tried rice pudding the plain ol’ way, what a lovely spin you’ve given this dish!