Raw Trail Mix Energy Cookies

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on April 2, 2012

Not that everyone couldn’t use a little more energy most days(besides my kids, of course!), I have to say I really needed these this last week.  With less than a week till my due date, I think I need to make another batch!

I honestly haven’t been purposely avoiding the blog and I apologize for the lack of posts.  It’s just that nesting has taken over and putting food in the freezer and keeping the house somewhat tidy has taken over everything else.  I can’t guarantee you’ll see much of me after baby gets here, but I do have a few posts waiting, almost ready to go, so I shouldn’t disappear for too long 🙂

I always kind of look at any recipe with “energy” in the title and think “hah, of course it’ll give me energy.  I’ll be energized for 10 minutes and then want to take a nap” which is what anything with too much sugar makes me do, especially lately.  But these really are little bites of energy, and not the type that makes you want to nap 10 minutes later.  One cookies isn’t exactly filling because I made them fairly small, but it’s satisfying and will keep you going for a while.

If you like raw fruit and nut treats, like Larabars or other homemade varieties, you’ll love these.  I realized why I haven’t been feeling like making my regular dried fruit/nut treats and it’s texture.  As much as I love them, I need some change, and all the seeds and different dried fruits in these are exactly what I was looking for.

For simplicities sake, you could press the whole mixture into a loaf pan(or maybe 2 for thinner bars) and then pop it out and slice into bars.  Just be sure to pack them really well and maybe line the pan with wax or parchment paper so it’s easy to pull out after it’s packed.

So I’ve been talking like these make an awesome granola bar type replacement.  Which they totally do, but I just thought I should clarify, that does not mean that these don’t make an awesome dessert.  They’re like the perfect sweetness, chewy, dense, almost fudgy.  So yes, they make an awesome dessert.

And for the record, there will be some in my hospital bag 😀

1 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 2, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Only 1 more week?!! How exciting! You’re very smart loading up that freezer. 🙂 These look like a great combo and I love that they have cocoa powder. I’ve been craving chocolate treats like crazy lately.
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..How dinner went down: March 25-31

2 Heather April 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Loving these!

…Lara Bars are the best – I can’t wait to try your take on mini lara’s 🙂
Heather recently posted..walnut bella "meatball" subs

3 Eat Good 4 Life April 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I was wondering where did you go 🙂 I actually did not know that you were pregnant wow. Good luck on your delivery. Your third? I take my hat to you, I have plenty with two. Sometimes I wish I was by myself 🙂 It is hard work!!

Anyhow, I love anything such as these cookies. The fact that they are no bake, super versatile and super healthy, well, what is not to like!! I just wish I had a more powerful food processor because when I make my bars I feel like as though my machine is going to blast into flames it gets so hot 🙂
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Out of this world Dark chocolate and peanut butter oatmeal

4 Nora @ natural noshing April 2, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Mmmmmmm these do look like energy bites! And they sound awesome too 🙂 I know what you mean ab energy bars, I’m the same way! No worries about the posts, you do your thing and take care of yourself and your family 🙂 we will be here!!! Wishing you an easy delivery, and hoping you can get some rest before the little one arrives, I’ll be thinking of you!!!
Nora @ natural noshing recently posted..Versatile Blogger Award

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 2, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I spent this whole post wondering (hoping) that these would be no bake and literally just said “yes!” out loud when I saw the recipe and that they were. Score 🙂
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Maple roasted vanilla almond cashew butter

6 Kathryn April 3, 2012 at 2:45 am

Enjoy your last week of pregnancy, I hope everything goes smoothly! I think it’s very sensible to stack your freezer with as much stuff as you can now while you have a moment to yourself!
Kathryn recently posted..march photo a day

7 Nicole, RD April 3, 2012 at 5:08 am

Less than a week! Eeeek! 🙂 That’s so exciting!!!

P.S. These look wooonderful! I am feeling energized already! 😉
Nicole, RD recently posted..Athenian Orzo

8 Amy @ Gastronome Tart April 3, 2012 at 10:57 am

You know how much I love on the go healthy snacks! This is perfect and they look delicious. Can’t wait to try these!
Amy @ Gastronome Tart recently posted..Citrus Brownies

9 Erin @ Texanerin Baking April 3, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I’ve been wondering about you lately, wondering if you had already had your baby but were just keeping quiet about it. 🙂 Good luck with the delivery!

These look fantastic and I love the ingredients in them. I’ve never heard of pepitas so I’ll go look those up now. They look nice and fudgy!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Grain Carrot Cake

10 Amy (Super Healthy Kids) April 4, 2012 at 6:21 am

Oh wow! These look amazing!! I’m sharing on Facebook right now! 🙂

11 Rawkinmom April 4, 2012 at 5:58 pm

These are so colorful!! You better make a HUGE batch because once baby is there that may all you eat!!! LOL I remember when we brought my daughter home….all I ate was grab and go snacks….I never had time for a realmeal!!!
Rawkinmom recently posted..Easter Pops!!!

12 Baking Serendipity April 4, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Love, love, love! The extra energy and raw ingredients are exactly perfect here. Bookmarking! And wishing you well in that last week!
Baking Serendipity recently posted..(Blueberry) Poptart Pancakes

13 Alison April 4, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Those look delicious – and a nice added bonus that they’re good for you too. 🙂

14 Joanne April 5, 2012 at 6:48 am

Larabars are my favorite go-to snack and I love the sound of this dessert version! Definitely a good idea to have these around for once the baby comes…they seem like the perfect healthy grab-and-go treat!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Pasta with Tomatoes, Pine Nuts and Raisins {eat.live.be.}

15 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes April 6, 2012 at 10:14 am

Those looks soo delicious!! I love these kinds of cookies!! I love the combination of chocolate and fruit that you used. 🙂 Great recipe!!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..No-Bake Mint Chocolate Tart