Our Green Smoothie Formula

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on May 4, 2012

Our Green Smoothie Formula

I’m not afraid to admit that a lot of my meals for the last week and a half have been liquid – in the form of green smoothies!  As much as I didn’t want to post another smoothie recipe, I think I’ll probably be posting some more in the near future.  But I have realized that most of our smoothies follow the same formula so I decided to post that today, instead of a specific “recipe”.  Of course there is no right or wrong way to make a smoothie and I’m sure this “formula” is nothing new, I still wanted to share it.  If I can inspire one person to try a green smoothie, it’ll be worth it Our Green Smoothie Formula

Our Green Smoothie Formula

I have to say, I would be lost without green smoothies.  They are, without a doubt, my favorite meal or snack.  Who doesn’t love a good fruit smoothie?  Plus, it’s way better than sitting down to a bowlful of greens.  Not to mention, anyone with a newborn knows it’s not likely that you’ll have time to prep and chop veggies for a big salad(not to mention time to sit down and enjoy it!) any time soon, where a smoothie is almost a completely 1 handed meal.  Awesome!

Our Green Smoothie Formula

Plus, something with spinach in it that my kids go crazy for?  Yes please!  It may not be equal to a big bowlful of greens but it really is better than nothing.

For this one we used our home canned peaches which is why it turned out to be such a pretty color.  The color isn’t always as pretty as this though, sometimes they’re brown or even almost black depending on the type of fruit we add.  If your kids think the color is gross you might want to invest in a cup that wont let them see what’s inside.  Of course that probably only works for little kids, but still… As long as you can get them to take one taste – they’ll love it!

Our Green Smoothie Formula

I will mention that if you’ve never tried a green smoothie before – blend, blend and blend some more!  I’m pretty sure everyone likes a smooth smoothie.  Spinach chunks = ew!  So keep blending.  I do NOT have a fancy blender, I make all my smoothies in a plain old magic bullet and it works perfectly(if I don’t stuff it too full – which I usually do anyways and it’s survived so far – hah!)  For the record, the makers of Magic Bullet have no idea who I am, I just love my little blender.

Our Green Smoothie Formula

Our Green Smoothie Formula

I want to hear from you!  How do you enjoy your smoothies?  Do you add greens?  Do you use a basic formula for your smoothies(if so, what is it!), or do you usually wing it?

1 Eat Good 4 Life May 4, 2012 at 5:28 pm

It is just like the one I make for me and the kids. We love it…and as a matter of fact I am making one tonight. I always have fresh spinach on hand for this only reason, to make this nutritious smoothies at least 2-3 times per week!! It is the most convenient and easiest way to get some good food in!
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Mixed berry and almond breakfast oatmeal

2 curlsz May 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm

sometimes i like to juice veges especially kale then add them to the blender with banana and protein powder – Casein if I’m doing meal replacement – Whey if it’s after a workout – and then I LOVE PB2 instead of peanut butter as it’s way easier to mix and less calories – it’s a staple

3 Juanita May 4, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Your Smoothie is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!!! and I love that the peaches helped with the wonderful color…..is the taste any better….even though you say most smoothie recipes are for the most part pretty regular….would you be able to share EXACTLY what ingredients you used in yours…I would love to make it….and do you think it would be ok to use frozen peaches or should I go for fresh
Thanks’ and before I forget….lovin your Blog ;0)

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles May 5, 2012 at 9:32 am

Thank you Juanita! I used almond milk in my smoothie(the one in the background has whole dairy milk, which is how I make it for my kids, and it’s a bit lighter in color. I used peaches I canned last summer, but either fresh or frozen will be fine. If you use frozen you may need a little more milk since it will be thicker. I use 2 handfuls of spinach for mine and leave the honey out, but you can add some if you like it sweeter :)

5 Courtney May 4, 2012 at 8:50 pm

If I’m in a rush I usually just stick to 2 cups of baby spinach, 1-2 bananas (chopped and frozen beforehand), a teaspoon of chia seeds and 1/2 cup of water or soy milk. I’ve just started juicing though and I’m going crazy! If it’s a fruit of vegetable then it goes in! So tasty.

6 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} May 5, 2012 at 5:45 am

Yay for green smoothies! My formula is similar to yours. I used to add yogurt, but since going dairy-free I leave it out. I hope you are feeling well and getting some rest. :-)
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..Mini caramelized banana coconut cream acorn squash pies – 32 ways! {guest post}

7 em May 6, 2012 at 11:16 am

i have a green smoothie for breakfast most every day; i love how quick they are to prepare and that i can get in a serving of veggies and fruit at breakfast.
em recently posted..it’s may already…

8 Stephanie May 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I love smoothies for either breakfast or in the evening when I have a ton of work to do and no time for dinner.

My green smoothie is pretty similar to yours, only with 1/2 cup of orange juice and 1/2 cup of skim milk and only 1/2 a frozen banana. Then I throw in whatever else looks good and a ton of greens.

I also love grinding 1/4 cup of oats into a powder and then making a smoothie with a banana, the oat powder, skim milk, and a tbsp of peanutbutter. yum
Stephanie recently posted..Homemade Butter in the Food Processor

9 Katherine @ Green Thickies May 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for this great basic formula. My website, http://www.greenthickies.com is specifically for smoothies with extra staying power (oats and seeds) to fill you up longer. As I have just had a baby too I completely know what you mean about having no time and that’s exactly why I invented Green Thickies. They keep me going much longer than your average green smoothie and I don’t have time for more than one drink per meal.
Thanks for a basic recipe for green smoothies. I usually double mine to maximise my time too.
Katherine @ Green Thickies recently posted..Healthy Apple Pie Smoothie: Dessert Thickie

10 Michelle May 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I pretty much do the same thing! But more often than not I just stick with banana, spinach and almond milk. I need to try adding mango!

Michelle recently posted..Cooking Without a Recipe: Sunday Dinner

11 Candice Weber May 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I always add frozen greens (kale, spinach, swiss chard, etc.) that are no longer good for salads. It’s a great way to avoid throwing food away!

12 Joanne May 8, 2012 at 7:49 am

I rarely make smoothies because my blender is off-the-charts AWFUL. but youv’e convinced me that I need to just suck it up and get a new one…because this looks too delicious and refreshing not to!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Chocolate Raspberry Tart

13 Nora @ natural noshing May 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Woohooo for green smoothies! I love them, and I love your formula :) my employees are always freaked out by my green smoothies haha so I tell them I’m drinking a mint shake :)
Nora @ natural noshing recently posted..Pizza-Flavored Tempeh Chips

14 Erin @ Texanerin Baking May 11, 2012 at 5:18 am

I’m on a smoothie binge but still don’t have fresh spinach available in my area so I’m sticking to the fruit ones. And why wouldn’t you want to post another smoothie recipe?! Keep posting them. They look great. :)

I’d love it if we had frozen peaches available. I would go crazy. Peaches all day, every day. You can get them for like two weeks in the summer and the rest of the year, it’s canned peaches. Canned peaches that seriously have something like 50 grams of sugar per halve. It’s crazy. Oh, why don’t I freeze my own? And how sad that I just now thought of this. Anyway, you have a nice weekend Heidi! :)
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Grain-free Almond Lemon Blueberry Muffins

15 Pixie May 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

I don’t know what I’d do anymore without my green smoothies!! They are amazing. My favorites ones have baby spinach, a couple of stalks of curly red kale (break off the larger parts of stem), frozen mango, frozen pineapple, a sprinkle of stevia, and Silk vanilla coconut milk. Man, I could eat one at every meal! I add some ground chia seed, too, for health reasons. It thickens it up, too.
Pixie recently posted..Mounds Bars…er…Bark?

16 Amie' November 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I like to make my green smoothie by adding spinach, parsley, broccoli, and a green apple, flax seed, and enough water to cover. This is obviously not sweet and you must love greens to enjoy it. Needless to say, my children and husband won’t drink it. I make their’s with mango, strawberries, peaches, almond milk, flax seed and spinach. They love it.

17 sara lee August 2, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Thanks for the great ideas! I use also frozen grapes, ice cubes and berries which help to pulverise the whole blend. Even frozen cherry tomatoes help to crush up the ingredients.

18 healthy smoothie recipes August 27, 2013 at 7:28 am

I always make strawberry and banana smoothies, very boring, this has given me so many more ideas – thanks x
healthy smoothie recipes recently posted..Healthy Peach Smoothie Recipe

19 Tracey Black March 20, 2014 at 11:12 pm

This looks delicious! I make my own coconut milk so this would be perfect. I sometimes use kale or chard instead of spinach, and it’s just as delicious.
Tracey Black recently posted..How to Make Coconut Milk – 2 Different Ways