In My Kitchen This Week – 2

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on August 5, 2012

In My Kitchen This Week   2

This Week In The Food Doodles Kitchen!

Yay, the second “this week” post.  I’m loving these :)  Some things I tried this week include blueberry chia seed jam, a pesto tortilla pizza, instant blueberry froyo, toasted coconut butter and I’ve been making lots of toasted tomato sandwiches so I decided to share those too.

I’m finding that these posts are quite long though, feel free to let me know if you’d like me the shorten them.  Either shorten them in your reader, or shorten the actual post.  Maybe I could do them more frequently so that they’re shorter?  Let me know what you think!

Without further ado…

In My Kitchen This Week   2

First off, I made this coconut butter using Cookie and Kate’s method.  I’ve made regular coconut butter before but never thought to toast the coconut first!  I think I toasted my coconut a little more than she did, but it was still awesome.  It’s as delicious as it looks.

In My Kitchen This Week   2

Check out the method here:  Toasted Coconut Butter.

In My Kitchen This Week   2

Next, I finally made a chia seed jam!  I’ve been meaning to try it for ages.  I occasionally make jam but none of us in the house are really jam eaters.  I much prefer tasting the fruit rather than the sugar anyways.  I prefer fresh fruit any day.  This was an awesome use for some frozen blueberries I had and can’t wait to try some different ideas.  Watch for my own version later this week.

In My Kitchen This Week   2

I used Angela’s Blueberry Vanilla Chia Seed Jam recipe.  It was perfect.  Of course, I used 4 tbsp maple syrup :)  And I used white chia seeds which is probably why you can see them so well.  It really doesn’t matter what kind you use though.

In My Kitchen This Week   2

I was sneaking bites out of the fridge until it was all gone.  Yum!

In My Kitchen This Week   2

On the subject of blueberries, how about some instant, 3 ingredient, soft serve blueberry froyo?  How awesome does that sound?

In My Kitchen This Week   2

I didn’t really follow this recipe, but I used Miryam’s idea to make instant froyo!  The original recipe is here: 5 Minute Mixed Berry and Dark Chocolate Frozen Yogurt

In My Kitchen This Week   2

I used about 3 cups of  frozen blueberries to 1 1/2 C full fat plain yogurt(she used Greek yogurt which would be even more awesome) and maple syrup to taste. I think I probably used 3-4 tbsp.  Throw it all in a food processor and process until perfect!

I put the extras in a rocket popsicle mould that my son went crazy for In My Kitchen This Week   2

In My Kitchen This Week   2

This week I also made an amazing tortilla pizza using Kate’s method for Perfect Tortilla Pizza‘s.  I spread a thin layer of pesto over my tortilla, some thinly sliced zucchini and mushrooms and just enough mozzarella cheese and baked to perfection.

In My Kitchen This Week   2

Look, you can even see how bubbly and crisp the “crust” gets.  SO yummy!  I’ve always been a fan of pita pizzas but I think I like these more now.  Just a warning though, don’t put too many watery veggies on your tortilla pizza or it gets soggy.  This one was perfect though – I can’t wait to try more.

In My Kitchen This Week   2

Lastly, my newest sandwich obsession, a Toasted Tomato and Basil Sandwich.  Super simple, but so good in the summer when tomatoes are fresh, perfectly ripened and in so many different varieties.  Choose your favorite, I’m sure any kind will be delicious here.

In My Kitchen This Week   2

Also, fresh basil!  I can’t say how much I love basil.  I’m even hoarding seeds to plant in a pot for the winter.  I will have fresh basil this winter!  I hope…

In My Kitchen This Week   2

How pretty is everything?  Fresh homemade bread toasted, fresh basil, a delicious tomato(that would have been better from my own garden, but I just couldn’t wait).  I’ll just let the rest of the pictures speak for themselves In My Kitchen This Week   2

In My Kitchen This Week   2

Hope you’re having a fantastic weekend!  What did you make in your kitchen last week?  Have you discovered any new awesome recipes?

1 september August 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

ooooh the jam and pizza look yummy…will make sum pizza for my girls…hmmm i love the length personally..i like a lot to read and look forward to seeing that u posted something new in my email…thanks for being so awesome and sharing…cuz u know what they say about sharing xD I am very much personally benefiting from most of what u post!

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 7, 2012 at 9:16 am

Thanks! :D

3 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I think you could easily divide this into two posts. Everything looks amazing! That coconut butter is way more liquidy than any I’ve ever made! Wow. And toasting it first is a great idea.

I want to make that frozen yogurt. And I have made the tortilla pizzas. Been making them forever but on a baking stone. I even got a cast iron skillet after that post, just to see if it’d be different. :)

I made these today and they were great! Going to post this week.

And I want some of your homemade bread!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Blueberry Maple Syrup Sauce

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 7, 2012 at 9:17 am

Now that you mention it, I have a pizza stone that I could be using too(I’ve just been using a cast iron skillet). Did you notice a difference?

5 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 21, 2012 at 1:23 pm

The one time I tried the skillet, I discovered that the bottom element wasn’t working so it never really got hot enough. And it’s been so warm lately that I don’t feel like turning on the oven for a tortilla. I’ll tell you the next time I try!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Grain Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Greek Yogurt Honey Chocolate Ganache

6 Kelley August 5, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Everything looks awesome! I am not familiar with chia seeds, so of course I need to go check those out now! I eat tomato sandwiches on regular untoasted sandwich bread (whole grain) all the time, and they are delicious…I’ve been trying to woo my basil into growing so I could try some on it because I thought it would be good, but not luck so far…glad to know it’s yummy, and I definitely bet it’s better on homemade bread, which I am getting ready to make right now! :)
Kelley recently posted..Easy DIY: Laundry Detergent

7 chinmayie @ love food eat August 6, 2012 at 12:47 am

That pizza looks perfect!
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Healthier Breakfast Hot Chocolate

8 Eat good 4 life August 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Ok, now I need to make everything from this post, except the frozen treat :-) thanks!! Much appreciated. I love how simple and fresh everything looks. Using chia seeds for the jam I think is genius!!

I actually agree with Erin. I think you can make this into two posts if you like, although it doesn’t bother me on the least to get a few recipes in just one post :-)
Eat good 4 life recently posted..Trail mix whole grain cookies

9 The Café Sucré Farine August 6, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Everything looks great, love the coconut butter – this is new to me, very fun! Love your sandwich too, I think I could eat these for breakfast lunch and dinner!
The Café Sucré Farine recently posted..Penne Pasta Salad w/ Fresh Mozzarella and Heirloom Tomatoes – A Taste of Summer and a Glimpse of Paradise

10 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Ooh, I can’t wait to see your chia seed jam recipe! I will definitely be making that. I love chia seeds–they remind me of jello, which I love but don’t eat. :) And everything else looks delicious too!
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..KitchenAid Hand Blender Review + Peach Melba Shake Recipe

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 7, 2012 at 9:12 am

I was actually really surprised with how it turned out. My version was a little thinner, so it probably wouldn’t remind you of jello… but this version was thicker and so good. I’ll be using chia seeds to make “jam” a lot more now :)

12 Joanne August 7, 2012 at 4:54 am

There’s so much deliciousness in this post! I can’t believe I’ve never thought to make my own coconut butter since it’s so expensive! Definitely trying that!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Tempeh Lo Mein with Bell Pepper, Edamame and Scallions

13 Genevieve August 7, 2012 at 11:47 am

Yum, I want to try everything in this post! I’ve tried making my own coconut butter once but it didn’t turn out that smooth and liquidy – it must have been because I didn’t use enough coconut. And I’m loving tomato and basil toasted sandwiches (usually open-faced) these last couple of weeks too! I can’t believe how good tomatoes can taste this time of year…for me, the only thing that makes them better is dipping the tomato slices in balsamic vinegar first…so good!
Genevieve recently posted..Blueberry-Jicama Kale Salad

14 Heather August 8, 2012 at 9:54 am

Oh wow that Chia seed jam looks amazing and coconut butter – where in the world have I been, ths is a first for me!
Heather recently posted..farmers market tacos