by Heidi @ Food Doodles on August 9, 2012

Just as an update to my post earlier in the week… I’m so glad I’m not alone – thanks for all your comments!  That alone made me feel better.  I feel 110% better now :)  I’m naturally very easygoing so when I do get stressed out I know something needs fixing.  Funny that something as simple as cleaning out my reader of all the blogs I don’t really enjoy can make everything feel better Strawberry Coconut Ice Cream Sandwiches(with Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cookies)

Along the same lines, I have to say I’m feeling more creative than I have in weeks.  I don’t know how else to describe the feeling, except like a surge of creative electricity.  On that note, I canned 5 quarts of pickles today.  And 10 quarts earlier in the week.  I’m not sure how that relates but I’m thinking it’s more of an excuse as to why there’s no product of my new found creativity yet.  In any case, I’m so excited to change things up around here, hopefully with some new backdrops for my pictures this weekend if I can get a little bit of work done without 3 kiddos hanging off me and hopefully a little bit of shopping done tomorrow :)  Yay!

So moving on… I loved these ice cream sandwiches!  The ice cream on it’s own is good too(although not without the strawberries.  Some notes on that along with the recipe)  But all together, these are so delicious.  A vanilla bean coconut ice cream with strawberries stirred into it and sweetened with fruity and delicious honey sandwiched in between two chocolate  graham cracker type cookies.  Yum!

Just a note.. I highly recommend using a cookie cutter for the cookies because you can use the same cookie cutter for the ice cream and have it fit almost perfectly inside the cookies.  Also, your cookies will all be the same size.  Obviously, I did not use a cookie cutter, I used a knife.  And I had plenty of rectangular cookies with 4 sides of all different lengths to show for it.  It worked.  It was delicious.  But it may not have been very pretty…

1 Eat Good 4 Life August 9, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Wow this really looks wonderful. Everything made from scratch, which I love!! I yet to make some ice cream made of coconut milk. I am sure it tastes fantastic. I also like the huge strawberry chunks :-) Very cool little ice cream sandwiches!!
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..DIY Whole grain graham crackers

2 Amy @ Gastronome Tart August 10, 2012 at 8:24 am

Ha ha! I literally just had this conversation with myself… why am I following certain blogs I don’t enjoy? After all it truly is about the food right? Anyhow, I love this recipe! Great for summer and perfect for the kiddos.

3 Carissa August 10, 2012 at 10:08 am

These look so good!!!! Thanks for the info on making the ice cream w/o an ice cream maker. I’m hoping to get the KitchenAid attachment for my birthday, but summer will be over by then & I’ve been wanting to try a coconut milk ice cream.
Carissa recently posted..Zucchini & Eggplant Lasagna

4 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction August 10, 2012 at 11:56 am

I love strawberries and coconut together and in an ice cream sandwich?! That’s pretty close to perfection in my book!
Jessica@AKitchenAddiction recently posted..Barbecue Chicken and Jalapeno Pizza

5 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm

These are so cute! I’ve never tried making coconut milk ice cream, but it’s been on my to-do list. :)

My reader is completely out of control. I feel guilty deleting blogs off of it, even if I don’t enjoy them. (Note that I feel guilty about just about everything, so this is not to say that you SHOULD feel guilty.) Good for you for doing it!
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What I Ate This Week | We all need a mug brownie sometimes.

6 Heather August 11, 2012 at 6:12 pm

These are adorable and perfect for a hot summers afternoon – I am so glad you are feeling super energized!
Heather recently posted..farmers market tacos

7 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 13, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Oh my word. These are amazing! Love that you made your own cookies and ice cream. And it’s great that you added the note about strawberries being necessary. Can’t wait to see your new backdrops. :)
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..White Chocolate Raspberry Coconut Truffles

8 Tor December 13, 2012 at 12:28 pm

These look incredible! I’ve never really paid attention to ice cream sandwiches, but I love your take on them. I actually have all of the ingredients for the coconut ice cream (albeit maple instead of honey) in my house, can’t wait to try it!
Tor recently posted..Star-spangled Lebkuchen!

9 Sarah August 25, 2013 at 11:16 am

Quite creative. Just by looking at the ingredients, I can tell they will be so much better than the store-bought sandwiches. It looks like you got the perfect texture for the crust too. I’ll have to try it out. Thanks!
Sarah recently posted..The 5 Best Homemade Ice Cream Makers