Spelt Chocolate Zucchini Bread

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on August 20, 2012

Spelt Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Welcome to Zucchini Week on Food Doodles!  I decided to forgo my regular weekend post for an entire week filled with zucchini – I hope you wont mind.  My garden is spitting out zucchini like you wouldn’t believe so I’ve been cooking or baking with zucchini almost every day lately and so this week is dedicated to my zucchini creations.  I have some super delicious recipes coming up this week so stay tuned.

Spelt Chocolate Zucchini Bread

First up, one of my favorite things to do with zucchini – chocolate zucchini bread!  This bread is moist and dense but still light and of course delicious.  It’s not too sweet so feel free to add a little more sugar.  Be aware that sucanat has a drying effect so if you add much more you may need to add a splash of milk.

I got some really cute ceramic loaf pans that yielded a little bit of a strange shaped loaf(or maybe it was my paper lining skills that were lacking), but regardless it was still delicious.  I wanted to eat this for breakfasts so I didn’t add in any chocolate chips, but if you wanted to 3/4 of a cup would be awesome.

Spelt Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Spelt Chocolate Zucchini Bread

1 september August 20, 2012 at 3:34 pm

This is nice, am going to make this for my girls…THANKS!

2 Eat Good 4 Life August 20, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Another zucchini recipe….now I know I need to get to this, or better yet, try your version :-) I am getting some zucchinis next week and see how they go!! Excited…..
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Almond and apricot cake

3 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 20, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I was surprised I didn’t get any zucchinis in my CSA box last week. I hope they aren’t done for the year! This bread looks fantastic…I would definitely add the chocolate chips. :-)
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..Avocado pineapple salsa

4 Cara August 20, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I totally love baking with spelt flour – such a great alternative to wheat. This bread sounds delish!
Cara recently posted..Got Chickpeas?

5 Stephanie August 20, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I’ve been toying with the idea of making some zucchini bread but I was going bath and forth between regular and chocolate. After seeing this post I’m definitely thinking chocolate.
Stephanie recently posted..Peach Blueberry Cobbler Ice Cream (and a Thank You)

6 Joanne August 21, 2012 at 6:24 am

I KNOW that my paper lining skills are lacking so I always end up with really weird shaped brownies and such :) I love the sound of this zucchini loaf! Spelt flour is one of my favorites for baking.
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Carrot Cake Ice Cream

7 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 21, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Love all the dark brown in these pictures. And yeah, zucchini week! Why not? :) As long as you’re making delicious stuff like this, I’m sure it’ll be grand! I always read how people with zucchini plants have so much of the stuff so I google imaged it. Ahahaha. It looks so ridiculous! How funny. I can’t wait to have a house so I can have neat plants like that.

I love that this uses whole spelt! Looks like a great recipe. And I’m no good with parchment paper. I just lay it on top of the pan and then letter the batter push it down. If that makes sense.
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Grain Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Greek Yogurt Honey Chocolate Ganache

8 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Zucchini week–I love it! But it makes me a little bit sad that all my summer squash plants died. Sniffle. This sounds like a great twist on traditional zucchini bread. I need to try spelt flour!
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..Farmers Market Haul + Photography With My Tamron Macro Lens

9 Heather August 22, 2012 at 9:22 am

Mmmm the addition of chocolate chips to this would be amazing!
Heather recently posted..tabbouleh & one lovely blog award

10 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking August 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I love baking with zucchini, this is such a beautiful bread.
I really have to bake more often with spelt.
Roxana | Roxana’s Home Baking recently posted..Funfetti yogurt cupcakes with Buttercream frosting

11 Mitzi December 1, 2012 at 8:22 pm

This looks amazing!!!!
How would I replace the butter in this recipe while keeping the taste (as close as possible) as well as texture? Oil? More yogurt? Margarine?

Thanks!

12 Catherine August 25, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I just put this in the oven – used coconut oil instead of butter and used agave syrop instead of sugar. I increased the flour to 2 cups. Crossing my fingers….

13 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 26, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Let me know how it worked out! :)

14 Jennifer August 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I just made this with my four little ones and we love it! Wow! Ground the spelt fresh and used a few semi sweet chocolate chips for extra sweetness since we followed the sucanant measurement exactly. This is like a loaf of chocolate cake… I LOVE IT!

15 Alexandria December 10, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I just made this with my son. The taste is wonderful. It’s very moist. We added chocolate chips but kept the rest of the recipe the same. I will make this again. As with anything I bake with spelt flour, I find that it falls apart easily.