Lightened Up Zucchini Alfredo

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on August 22, 2012

Whenever we went out to eat when I was a kid fettuccine alfredo was always the first thing I looked for on the menu.  I wasn’t very adventurous so it was usually a safe choice.  Needless to say I’m a little more adventurous now, not to mention that I don’t even want to think about how many calories are in a huge plate full of fettuccine alfredo..  I may not count calories but I try to always be aware of portion sizes.  Instead of having a tiny serving of traditional fettuccine alfredo, I’d much rather have a bowl full of this lightened up, and veggie filled version.

So I make a lighter version of the sauce using a roux and I try to mix in some veggies to cut down on the pasta.  I also use whole wheat pasta so that it’s a little more filling than regular pasta, but use whatever kind you like.  You could even sub a gluten free flour for the roux and use gluten free pasta if you need to 🙂

I’m sorry it’s not the most beautiful thing to photograph, but you’ll have to trust me, if you like alfredo sauce you will love this!  Don’t be afraid of the zucchini, it makes this dish light enough to eat a big bowl full and fill your pasta craving without  getting a tummy ache.  Plus, it’s amazingly noodle-like.

1 Eat Good 4 Life August 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Look at the creaminess of that sauce!! This pasta dish looks sensational and the strip of zucchini just awesome. Now after seeing two zucchini recipes in your blog back to back I need to take my booty to the supermarket and get some 🙂
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Almond and apricot cake

2 Joanne August 23, 2012 at 7:16 am

I ate a LOT of alfredo sauce when I was younger but not anymroe even though I still really love it! This lightened up version sounds amazing!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Summer Potatoes Stewed with Eggplant, Peppers and Olives

3 The Café Sucré Farine August 23, 2012 at 7:37 am

What a great idea to combine zucchini with pasta, love learning new ways to lighten up favorite recipes!
The Café Sucré Farine recently posted..Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea-Salted, Slow-Roasted Pecans

4 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction August 23, 2012 at 7:54 am

I love fettuccine alfredo but not the calories that go with it! I need to try this!
Jessica@AKitchenAddiction recently posted..Raspberry White Chocolate Pecan Breakfast Cake

5 Heather August 23, 2012 at 11:42 am

I love adding a ton of veggies to any meal- to me this just means I can eat more without feeling guilty 🙂

Love this lightened up version!
Heather recently posted..tabbouleh & one lovely blog award

6 Erin @ Texanerin Baking August 23, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Ooh! That picture before the recipe is my favorite pictures of yours. 🙂

And funny that you talk about adventurism in this post. I just called you adventurous a minute ago!

The pasta looks good! Love that it’s healthier.
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Honey Sweetened Strawberry Blueberry Jam (pectin free)

7 Carissa August 24, 2012 at 7:29 am

I love zucchini in everything, so this zucchini week is just making me crave it more. I love this idea of combining zucchini noodles w/ pasta noodles. Most recipes only use one or the other.
Carissa recently posted..August Garden Update

8 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies August 24, 2012 at 8:06 am

I need to make zucchini noodles someday! The closest I’ve come is using it instead of pasta in lasagna. I love alfredo and a lighter version of it is definitely something I could use. 😉
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What I Ate This Week + Maple Chipotle Squash Wedges Recipe

9 Laura January 6, 2013 at 4:55 am

Made this tonight. Great recipe. My husband was particularly impressed as he is a cheese and pasta lover. Served it with a big green salad. Will definitely be making this again. Thanks!

{ 1 trackback }