Cheesy Tomato Soup

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on September 6, 2012

Cheesy Tomato Soup

I’ve just started to notice something.  Maybe it’s weird, I’ve just never noticed it before, but my pregnancy cravings have continued on now that I’m nursing.  I never noticed that before, but this time they certainly are.  They aren’t like pregnancy cravings where I need something immediately, but I’m still enjoying cheese way more than I did before.

Tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwich is still one of my favorite “rainy day treats” from when I was a kid.  Of course when I saw the idea to add cheese directly into tomato soup I had to try it Cheesy Tomato Soup

Cheesy Tomato Soup

I used my own tomato soup recipe, and this time used fresh tomatoes out of my garden(yay!) and added cheddar cheese.  Really, all I can say is yum!  And do not skip the cheese on top.  The slight cheddar flavor in the soup is great but the little bits of melted cheese are the best!  I’m thinking there will be a lot more of this soup while my tomato plants are still producing Cheesy Tomato Soup

Cheesy Tomato Soup

Tomatoes were the subject of my most recent column in our local paper.  They are so amazing!  Really, every time I do research on common local fruits and vegetables I am so amazed.  Not that I ever get bored with tomatoes, but learning about their incredible nutrition and health benefits makes me want to run out to my garden and pick one right now or get to the market to buy some soon Cheesy Tomato Soup

Cheesy Tomato Soup

Cheesy Tomato Soup

1 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Grilled cheese and tomato soup is one of my very favorite things! I can’t wait to try this soup…and dunk a huge hunk of bread in it for the full grilled cheese affect ;)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Cascal Natural Soft Drink Review + Giveaway

2 Andrea September 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Hi Heidi, the picture of you and your baby girl is beautiful. I just want to Thank you for sharing your recipe’s. I always enjoy them. ……Andrea P.S. Motherhood is awesome and a fleeting moment in life. My baby is 29 and my oldest is 44. It seems like yesterday I was sitting in front of a camera with my little girl on my lap. she’s the one that’s 44. Enjoy your self with your children, it’s a wonderful life…..

3 Heidi @ Food Doodles September 8, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Thank you very much Andrea! Your comment means so much to me :)

4 Kathryn September 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm

My boyfriend things I’m crazy because I always add cheese to my creamy tomato soup. I love it so I’m very glad to learn that I’m not alone!
Kathryn recently posted..end of summer crumble

5 Heather September 7, 2012 at 8:32 am

Tomato Soup is definitely one of my rainy day treats alongside a grilled cheeze! I love the idea of making this cheesy….I have a boatload of tomatoes from the garden but am craving fallish foods – I think this fits the bill!
Heather recently posted..roasted winter squash & arugula salad – toasted curry croutons

6 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies September 7, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Yay for garden tomatoes! Everything tastes better when you make it with tomatoes from the garden. :) I love that you added cheese right in the soup–cut out the middleman!
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What I Ate This Week | The Week I Discovered Paper Bag Popcorn

7 Michelle @ Find Your Balance September 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm

ooh this looks great! If I get another wallop of tomatoes in my CSA this week I’m making it!
Michelle @ Find Your Balance recently posted..To juice or not to juice? That’s my question.

8 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 14, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Ugh, I am SO jealous that a. you have a garden and b. you still have an ample supply of tomatoes! I have to get mine from the local farmer’s market (which was closed last week so now I’m having withdraws) but the pickings on the tomatoes has been dwindling down over the last few weeks. And heirlooms are nowhere to be found! :(

Cheese and tomatoes are truly a match made in foodie heaven! Love the addition of the yogurt…never thought of that!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Did You Know…?

9 Good Food Good Friends October 8, 2012 at 5:16 am

Tomato soup and grilled cheese are a staple in my house, especially during the girls’ soccer and volleyball season, which seems to be all the time now. I will be trying this recipe real soon!
Good Food Good Friends recently posted..Spicy Key West Chicken Kabobs