15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on October 16, 2012

15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

I couldn’t help but share one more summery dish even though my poor tomato plants are all done now.  I actually made this for dinner one night, not even thinking to take pictures.  It was way too dark by then anyways – I’m already missing the summer light!  But it turned out so delicious I had to make it again to share with you 15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

I made a ton of pesto to freeze this summer, but unfortunately I’m already thinking it wasn’t enough :(  I just love it too much!  Next year – way more pesto!  I’m guessing a store bought pesto would be fine, but you really can’t beat homemade when it comes to pesto.

I also keep already roasted garlic in the freezer to use whenever I feel the need… If you don’t have any already made, you could just add a clove or two of fresh garlic and saute for a minute before continuing with the recipe for some extra garlicyness… if you like that kind of thing 15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

This recipe also halves really easily.   It’s not quite as good reheated so I’d recommend scaling it back if you don’t want any left over.

15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

As much as I’m holding onto summer with these kinds of dishes I think it’s finally time to move onto fall.  It’s been so hot until recently that I’ve barely even thought of warm comforting fall dishes, but now that it’s cold…  Bring on the apples and pumpkin!

See you soon with some more fall inspired dishes 15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients
  • ½ tbsp olive oil
  • ½ head of roasted garlic
  • ⅓ – ½ C pesto
  • 1 C grated mozzarella
  • 1 375g box whole wheat penne cooked until al dente in well salted water
  • 2 pint sized containers cherry tomatoes, halved
Instructions
  1. Cook the pasta until al dente according to the directions on the box and drain when done. In a skillet, warm the oil and break up the roasted garlic. Add in the already cooked pasta, pesto and mozzarella and gently warm until the pesto is warm and the mozzarella is melted. Stir in the cherry tomatoes and serve immediately.
Notes
Inspired by Iowa Girl Eats.

15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

Enjoy!

15 Minute Meal: Caprese Pasta Skillet

1 Ari @ Ari's Menu October 16, 2012 at 5:18 pm

This looks AWESOME!! I love quick and easy dinners that don’t require very many ingredients :)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..NYC Marathon Training Week 17

2 Kathryn October 17, 2012 at 3:06 am

This is such a lovely quick evening meal. Gorgeous flavours!
Kathryn recently posted..sunflower seed rice crispy treats

3 Joanne October 17, 2012 at 7:18 am

Love the simplicity of this. Such a great weekday meal idea!
Joanne recently posted..Ginger Cosmopolitan Cocktail

4 Julia October 17, 2012 at 8:11 am

I made something like this recently and loved it!! It is such an easy, flavor packed meal. Great post!

5 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies October 17, 2012 at 10:18 am

My remaining tomatoes are all sitting on my countertop–I’m hoping they’ll ripen! And if they do, I might just have to make this. I love a good easy pasta meal.
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..Vegan Pumpkin Mug Brownie

6 neha October 17, 2012 at 10:30 am

This looks so good! And easy, which is a plus. I’m going to have to try to make this! Your food photography is just lovely and I’m following your blog now :)

I would love for you to swing by my blog and check it out! I do various kinds of photography and I just put up a post about a quick, 10-second, professional-looking cake decorating tip! Please follow if you’d like! I would really appreciate it and would love to hear from you!

neha
neha made

7 Faith October 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Looks wonderful and I have some pesto in my freezer — need to make this! :)
Faith recently posted..How to Make Butternut Squash Purée

8 Erin @ Texanerin Baking October 20, 2012 at 9:30 am

So pretty! I would happily eat this without the tomatoes. And yes, I think it’s time to move onto fall things. :) Bring on the pumpkin and apples!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Grain Apple Blondie Cake

9 Gourmandelle October 22, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Delicious! I’ll try it tomorrow :)
Gourmandelle recently posted..Simple Apricot Crisp

10 Gosia October 30, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Such a lovely dish… and you gotta admire the ingenuity of adding some roasted garlic. Thank you for the hint!
Gosia recently posted..Comment on Sweet Returns by Gosia Maj

11 Heather October 31, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I feel the same way about my tomato sauce as you do your pesto – I don’t think I made nearly enough and I doubled my batch from what i made last year! I had wanted to make pesto but never got around to it :(
Heather recently posted..chunky monkey muffins {gf}