Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on March 14, 2013

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

So this was what I was holding out on you for 2 days now.  I am so sorry I held these babies back because they are amazing.  Of course I couldn’t help but dress them up a little…

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

And then a little more….

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

Eek!  How good does that look? Let me just tell you, this was amazing.  But a little too sweet(at least for myself) to have on a regular basis though.

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

But, just straight out of the pan, these were perfect.  I cut them into large servings for the pictures but these are best a little smaller, at least in my opinion.  So instead of 9 servings, probably 12.  I don’t even know because I’ve been cutting little pieces out of the pan every time I walk by.  If that isn’t a sign of greatness I don’t know what is Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

Do you want to know why I’m so excited about these though?  I have never made any kind of brownie or blondie or cookie bar 100% whole wheat that meets my “requirements”.  Of course maybe I just haven’t experimented enough… But these are just about perfect.  They’re not quite as chewy around the edges as I would like, but they’re gooey with a crisp top and I couldn’t be more happy with the ingredients too.

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

I have to say the date chocolate and hazelnut combo is awesome too.  Toasty hazelnuts are obviously awesome with chocolate but adding dates to these blondies was the best idea yet.  If they aren’t gooey enough already, occasionally you’ll come across an exceptionally gooey part that tastes rather caramelly and that is the beauty of adding some super soft dates to these.  And to counter the caramelly dates I sprinkled these with a little salt when they came out of the oven.  Yum!

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

I may have not been able to control myself with the pictures.  I’m sorry… But I’m not Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

Enjoy!

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie BarsWhole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie BarsWhole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie BarsWhole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Yield: 9-12
Ingredients
  • ½ C coconut oil, melted
  • ¾ C maple syrup
  • ¼ C palm sugar(or sucanat or brown sugar)
  • 2 flax eggs(2 tbsp ground flax mixed with 6 tbsp water and let sit 5 minutes)
  • 1¼ C white whole wheat flour(or whole wheat pastry flour, any soft wheat flour)
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp fine sea salt, plus more for sprinkling the top with if desired
  • 1 C roughly chopped hazelnuts
  • ½ C chocolate chips
  • ½ C soft Medjool dates, pits removed, roughly chopped and tossed with 1 tbsp flour to keep them from sticking
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 pan by lining it with paper and lightly greasing the paper. Set aside.
  2. In a bowl, stir together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, brown sugar and flax egg.
  3. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
  4. Stir in the nuts, chocolate and dates. Once combined pour into the prepared baking pan, spread evenly and place in the oven.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 27-30 minutes until golden, being careful not to over bake.
  6. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and leave to cool completely before cutting.

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

Whole Wheat and Vegan Hazelnut, Chocolate Chip and Date Cookie Bars

1 kim@hungryhealthygirl March 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm

These look awesome and I love the ingredient list! Pinning!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Grocery Store Run (Part One)

2 Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies March 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Wow!!!! I need to make these now!!!
Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies recently posted..Mummy’s Tamatay Ka Kana {Indian Spiced Tomato Rice}

3 chinmayie @ love food eat March 15, 2013 at 1:09 am

That looks gorgeous! I am making them soon!
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Red Earth, Kabini

4 Mary Jo March 15, 2013 at 8:37 am

Would love to try these….never heard of “flax eggs”…would I just use 2 regular eggs instead??

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles March 21, 2013 at 4:39 pm

I really don’t know if eggs would work in these, I haven’t tried it yet and they might end up more cakey than dense and gooey like these. If you do try it let me know! If you want to use flax eggs they’re easy to make, just grind up 1 tbsp of flax until as fine as possible and mix it with 3 tbsp warm water and let it sit for 3-4 minutes until it gets thick to make 1 “egg”.

6 Holiday Baker Man March 15, 2013 at 3:59 pm

All warm ‘n gooey… ,mmmmm
Holiday Baker Man recently posted..Blueberry Crumb Cake

7 Ari @ Ari's Menu March 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I don’t blame you for going picture crazy! These look sooooo delicious, and soft, and gooey! YUM!!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Chipotle Black Bean Burgers {vegan + gluten-free}

8 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 16, 2013 at 3:22 am

Oh WOW! As if the title wasn’t enough…hazelnuts, dates, chocolates? Then you go and top them with ice cream AND chocolate syrup?! If my computer fizzes out because of all the drool, I’m sending you a bill! :P

I Love the caramel-y flavor of warm dates! Sheer brilliance to pop them into this recipe!
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Springy Dippin’

9 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan March 21, 2013 at 9:17 am

I really don’t blame you for going picture crazy, these look soooo good!

10 Alison March 22, 2013 at 5:42 am

These look awesome! What a great idea. I need a healthy alternative to the traditional ooey gooey brownie, and these look like it!

11 Heather March 22, 2013 at 10:06 am

Oh man these do look dangerous- I love a crispy outside too, I would totally sneak little bits and pieces as i was in and out of the kitchen, nicely done!
Heather recently posted..crispy matsutake spring rolls

12 Mike @ Webakecookies.com March 27, 2013 at 9:45 am

OMG! These look sooo good. I want to bake a batch tonight! They seem like they are very rich, I may have to cut mine a little smaller. We are definitely going to give these a try. Thanks for sharing!
Mike @ Webakecookies.com recently posted..Rolo Stuffed Sugar Cookies

13 Erin @ Texanerin Baking March 30, 2013 at 8:28 am

You’re back! And you’ve been back for a while. Whoops.

Love these brownies! And 100% whole wheat gooey brownies do exist. They’re the only kind I like / make. :)

I think I might make these and leave out the dates and nuts. Perhaps add more chocolate. You know, making them less healthy. :) They look amazing!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Whole Wheat Espresso Chocolate Chip Scones