Honey Pumpkin Pudding

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on November 12, 2013

Honey Pumpkin Pudding

Well, here I finally am with a new recipe.  I hope you’ll forgive me, I’m still stuck on pumpkin.  What’s new though is that I’m realizing at this point and time that I am just not a regular blogger.  As much as I want blogging to be my job and something I do regularly, I can’t dedicate full time hours, or even part time hours to it right now.  And I’m finally OK with that, and I hope you will be too.  One day I’ll be a much more regular blogger, maybe even a full time blogger, but not right now.  So for now I’ll be posting when I can and when I have something special to share with you.  And let me tell you, this pudding is super special!

Honey Pumpkin Pudding

Let me start off my saying I had no idea that pumpkin pudding was a thing.  I had no idea it existed before the idea popped into my head over a month ago.  So I looked it up and there it was!  And so I set out making my own completely from scratch version and here it is.  I know if you’re striving for a whole foods diet cornstarch probably isn’t on your list of good ingredients, but I do use it in my kitchen for a few things, and this is one of them.  If you’re worried about using cornstarch but want to give this recipe a try, consider buying organic corn starch.

Honey Pumpkin Pudding

As for this pudding, it’s thick and creamy and absolutely delicious, if you’re a fan of pumpkin pie I just know you’ll love it.

Honey Pumpkin Pudding

I actually used this pudding as a filling for something else, so I’ll hopefully be back later in the week to share that delicious idea :)  And pretty soon I’ll be moving from pumpkin onto apples.  I really can’t get enough apples lately.  My dehydrator is going constantly, full of apples.  Soon I’ll be making and canning applesauce, drying more(and more and more) apples since we eat them as fast as I can make them, and who knows what else :)  For now enjoy this delicious pumpkin pudding!

Honey Pumpkin Pudding

Honey Pumpkin Pudding

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Author:
Yield: 5-6 individual servings
Ingredients
  • 1¾C pumpkin puree
  • ½ C honey
  • 2 large eggs
  • ¼ C cornstarch
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1½ C whole milk(+ ¼ C extra if desired)
  • pinch sea salt
Instructions
  1. In a saucepan combine the pumpkin puree with the honey over medium low heat and whisk until the honey has melted enough and the two are completely combined.
  2. Make sure the mixture is not too hot and add in the eggs. Mix the cornstarch with a small amount of milk until there are no lumps then add the cornstarch mixture along with the spice, the rest of the milk and a pinch of salt to the pot.
  3. Whisk together and cook over medium heat just until thickened and just starting to boil. When thick, remove from the heat and pour the pudding into individual ramekins. Pudding will thicken more as it cools.
  4. Let cool slightly before covering with plastic wrap and refrigerating until ready to serve.
  5. To serve top with a sprinkle more pumpkin pie spice if desired and a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
Notes
While the whole milk makes this pudding extra delicious, I’m sure you could sub your favorite unsweetened non-dairy milk for this if need be.

Honey Pumpkin Pudding

1 Janette@culinaryginger November 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving dessert.

2 Charlotte Moore November 13, 2013 at 3:54 am

I don’t see how you all with small children blog more than once or twice a week. When you make bread, can/freeze veggies, preserve fruits, etc, that is a full time job.

You have to do what you have to do for yourself and your family.

This pumpkin pudding looks very good. My oldest grandson would love it.

3 Julia November 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I’m going to make this pudding with coconut milk. I love the creaminess. Thanks for sharing your specials recipes with us!

As a mom of four, I totally understand the need to prioritize family. It’s good that your focus is in the right place. For everything there is a season.
Julia recently posted..Chai Cholkladbollar {Chocolate Oat Balls}

4 Erin @ Texanerin Baking November 19, 2013 at 8:26 am

I’ve said it a ton of times but I don’t understand how people with kids and jobs are blogging more than I am! (and I’m not referring to you here ;)) I just don’t get it. I sit at the computer doing blog stuff 12 hours a day and get out two posts a week. Anyway, I’m happy you’re putting your family first! :)

I’d love to make this as part of a no-bake pie. Do you think it’s firm enough? Maybe I’ll find out when you post your next recipe!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Dulce de Leche Apple Streusel Bars (100% whole grain)

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 19, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Thank you Erin :) I just really want to be able to do more. It’s hard to put it on the back burner, but maybe when all my little ones are in school I’ll be able to do a little more :)

I thought of that too! I think that would be soooo delicious, with a homemade graham cracker crust! But I think it would need to be a little thicker. Maybe an extra egg or a little bit more cornstarch(another egg might be too eggy, I’m not sure). I will be trying that at some point, but no, my next recipe is something else :)

6 Rose | The Clean Dish November 24, 2013 at 6:23 pm

What a great recipe!! I must try this.
Do you think I could substitute cornstarch with arrowroot?
That’s what I usually do but I don’t want to take chances with this pudding.

7 Chris J January 6, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Thank you! I had some leftover pumpkin and found your recipe. Delicious! I think I’ll try it with molasses next time and see how the flavor changes.

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

Yum! Let me know how it turns out :)

9 Heide M. March 17, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe.