Who’s ready for some healthier treats already? I know it’s not even Christmas yet, but if you’re like me you’re looking for some light, fresh snacks and sweet treats. I’ve already had my fill of cookies(and eggnog!), but in case you haven’t please check out the roundup of cookie recipes I made last year. This year I’m afraid I didn’t do anything new. I made shortbread cookies, chocolate mint cookies, ginger cookies and of course some gingerbread men(and gingerbread moose, foxes, bears and other assorted “Canadian” animals) for decorating with the kids. Do check out the roundup if you’re still looking for cookies to make
Even if you’re still enjoying all the holiday goodies you’ll want to give this crumble a try! Remember when I made my first raw crisp in the summer? Well I was already planning on making this one then. And it’s been so worth the wait. It’s delicious and it wouldn’t make a bad breakfast, snack or even dessert! Even the kids enjoyed it, picking up apple slices like chips with as much of the topping as they could get. So yummy!
And you can customize it how you like. Don’t like pomegranate? Sub it out for some kind of berry, or even just leave it out completely. It’s all good
I’ll be back again later in the week to share and super quick hot drink with you. Until then, enjoy!
- 2 large Medjool dates, pit removed and roughly chopped into 3-4 pieces
- ¼ C pecans
- dash vanilla
- pinch sea salt
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg and cloves
- Two large apple, your favorite variety for eating
- Pomegranate arils from half a pomegranate
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice, if desired
- Place nuts in your food processor first and process until all the nuts are ground and no large pieces remain. Add in the dates, vanilla, salt and spices and process until completely combined and no large pieces of unprocessed date remain.
- Chop your favorite apples however you'd like, small chunks or thin slices work well. Toss with a small squeeze of lemon juice if desired(this will prevent the apples from browning right away and tastes really good on sweet apples) and arrange in two bowls or on plates, sprinkle with pomegranate arils and top with half the crumble mixture per bowl. Top with a couple whole pecans if desired and enjoy!