Next up on Cookie Week here on Food Doodles are some of my favorite cookies. I’m a sucker for chocolate cookies as it is, but chocolate and mint together is my absolute favorite. Especially if the cookies are thick and chewy and crisp around the edges. That’s gotta be my definition of the perfect cookie, what’s yours?
I could hardly believe how perfect these turned out. I’m pretty sure it had to do with the little bit of cornstarch I added to the dough. I saw how awesomely puffy Sally’s cookies were and decided to try a little cornstarch since whole wheat cookies tend to spread even more than cookies with white flour. I think it worked!
Even though I’m hoping to spend the rest of the week on cookies, I’m pretty much full of sweets. Anyone else done with holiday food before the holiday even gets here? I’m already craving lighter foods 🙂 If I see you next week it will be with something savory and light! Until then, I have so many more awesome cookies to share with you so I’m excited about that! Can’t wait 😀
For now, enjoy!
- ¾ C softened salted butter
- 1½ C sucanat or palm sugar(or brown sugar)
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 C white whole wheat flour(or whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 3 C mint chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the extracts and eggs and beat well.
- In a separate bowl mix the cocoa powder with the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and mix until combined.
- Scoop rounded tablespoonfuls 2" apart onto the prepared baking sheets. Place baking sheets in the fridge and chill 45 minutes - 1 hour until the dough is completely chilled.
- Place chilled dough in the oven and bake for 9-11 minutes or until the bottoms look slightly darker. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a baking sheet to cool completely.