Dilly Cucumber Salad

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on April 18, 2011

cucumbersalad

I took the kids for a walk today.  I don’t know if I mentioned it but we live at the bottom of a hill and the entire town is uphill from us.  So we walked for about 45 minutes and then turned around and came home.  We did the same thing yesterday and we were itching to get out of the house again today.  But if you’re jealous because we must have had nice weather to go for such a long walk…  No.  We actually put it off and put it off all morning because it snowed last night.  Not much, but it did.  And even on our walk it snowed a little bit on us.  Good thing we were walking fast enough to stay warm.  I think my son is going to be a runner – he has to run to keep up with me but rarely complains.  Ahh, that’s what getting some exercise should be like.

I have to admit, I have a problem.  I buy herbs and use a little bit(or none at all) and then slowly watch them deteriorate in the fridge.  Who doesn’t love having fresh herbs on hand all the time?  But I have to say I’d much rather grow them because then I can forget about them for 2 weeks and they’re still yummy.  I love dill.  It is so good.  In bread, on potato salad, even on a green salad.  But somehow I still have a problem using it up.  Around the holidays my husbands Opa came to visit and made a really simple cucumber salad that my little sister in law and I couldn’t stop munching on, even after dinner, until it was all gone.  This was my attempt to recreate it, and though it wasn’t as good, it still makes for a nice salad(that will be amazing in warmer weather) and it’s super quick.

1 Lisa April 18, 2011 at 3:33 pm

This looks great—I love dill and cukes 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Mmm me too. I could snack on cucumbers all the time 🙂 Thank you!

3 Lauren Hayes April 18, 2011 at 4:20 pm

That salad look so good! It looks so light and refreshing! I do the same thing with herbs by the way. I have wasted so many! At least I know I’m not the only one 🙂

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 18, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Thank you! I can’t wait to make this when it’s hot out 😀
Glad to know I’m not the only one too!

5 Sam [Low Carbon Diet] April 18, 2011 at 4:31 pm

The way you cut the zucchini is gorgeous. I am so dependent on (and thankful for) my mandoline!

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 18, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Thank you Sam! I actually don’t have a mandoline. I reeeaaaally need one 😀 I’m betting this would actually taste good with zucchini too, but maybe in smaller pieces. I’m going to try that when my zucchinis start growing 😀

7 Sam [Low Carbon Diet] April 18, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Oops! Meant cukes not zucs 😉

8 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama April 18, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I have the same problem with herbs! I saw and “herb saver” thingie at the grocery store and was tempted to buy it, but did not. This looks so light and refreshing! Will have to try it soon.

9 Cindy April 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Love love love this kind of salad. And you’ve taken it to the next level with the ribbons. I’m totally going to do that this summer. Yum!

10 emily April 19, 2011 at 2:47 am

this salad reminds me that spring is coming. 🙂
we had snow yesterday, too. i was pretty sad, but it melted later, thank goodness.

11 megi April 19, 2011 at 4:48 am

I love dill and cucumbers and this salad looks perfect, I love the long noodle shape of the cucumbers, I can only imagine how refreshing it is!

12 ThE DiVa DiSh April 19, 2011 at 7:35 am

OMG I currently have dill in my fridge! Excuse me while I go make this 🙂

13 Faith April 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving that sweet comment! I’m in love with your blog and I know I’ll be back often. What a great salad, cucumber and dill is a match made in heaven!

14 Faith April 19, 2011 at 9:42 am

I do the same thing with fresh herbs, but they’re just so much more flavorful than dried ones! Dill is one of my favorites though, and this cold salad looks like just the kind of refreshing thing I’m going to be craving when the weather gets super hot this summer!

15 Lele April 19, 2011 at 10:03 am

Yaaaaaay I have fresh dill and cucumbers in my fridge and it is lunchtime!

16 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Yay! I hope you like it!

17 Lauren April 19, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I have a hard time using up fresh herbs, too. I love to have them around but they seem to go bad faster than I can use them. I have a recipe that I’m itching to try for cilantro peanut pesto the next time I buy cilantro!

I also wanted to let you know I’ve nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. =) I’m so anxious to try some of your recipes!

18 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Mmm that sounds good 🙂

Wow thank you!! My first award 😀

19 Jennifer April 19, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Right before I discovered your post, I had just finished eating a bunch of cucumber. I was thinking it would be nice to add some flavour to it! This looks perfect. I will make this the next time I have cucumber. 🙂

20 Meghna April 20, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Wow looks very summery and refreshing… how did slice it so thin???

21 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Thank you! I actually used a vegetable peeler. But you can use a mandoline or the slicer attachment on a food processor.

22 Anne O April 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I stumbled upon this post on tastespotting.com and bookmarked it for dinner tonight. Delicious! Though cutting with my vegetable peeler didn’t yield anything nearly this beautiful :-/ Oh well, tasty and in our stomachs either way!

23 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 26, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m so glad you liked it! I think my peeler must be especially sharp. Either way, thank you so much for the feedback!

24 Lizzie April 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Last night, The Honey brought home the biggest cucumber in the history of western civilization and now I know where some of it is going to end up. Thanks for the inspiration! Gorgeous and it’s 80 degrees in LA today too!!

25 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 27, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Awesome 😀 Enjoy!

26 Paula Fitz-William May 16, 2013 at 3:50 pm

OMG, this is the recipe! Loved this! Will be my go-to recipe for cucumbers. I made a few minor changes though! We don’t have wine vinegar so I used rice vinegar, just 1 tbsp rather than 2. Didn’t quite add the full 1/2 tsp of Himalayan sea salt. Went with the honey option and actually had to use a regular cucumber (peeled it since not organic). Sliced in thin rounds with a mandoline. Wow, fantastic recipe! Had to keep myself from eating the whole bowl. Even my 1 month old was willing to eat it if I also let her feed bites to me in turn! I bet the dressing would taste nice over sliced cherry tomatoes, too. Thanks for a great recipe!

27 Paula Fitz-William May 16, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Ha, ha, oops, my 14 month old, not my one month old!

{ 1 trackback }