Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on April 19, 2011

I really think the problem with most healthy cookies is the lack of oil.  I love some “muffin top” type cookies that are soft and fluffy and like muffins and I’ve successfully made some of those that are really good with very minimal added fat.  Unfortunately, your average cookie needs something more.  And with these cookies, it’s not too much.  You don’t feel weighed down after eating a couple of these like you do with traditional cookies.  It’s only a few tablespoons(plus the peanut butter) for a big batch of cookies.  A pretty fair amount for some super yummy cookies, I think :)  You could even substitute some dried fruit for the chocolate chips if you really wanted to.  And the original recipe had no added maple syrup so I’m sure you could leave it out(and add another tbsp of oil) and they would still be fantastic Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk CookiesSo I went a little crazy with the picture taking for these.  Seriously?  I brought out a coconut and a banana(and hid that picture at the bottom, haha).  I’m not sure what I was thinking(who thinks a brown hairy coconut looks attractive anyways?) but the picture was clear so I added it.  Oh well.  I had no idea cookies were so photogenic, but these ones were for sure.  And not just photogenic.  So yummy!  My husband doesn’t like banana baked into anything, but excluding him, everyone in the house absolutely loved them.  And by everyone I mean myself and the two kids.  They didn’t last long enough to share with anyone else Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk CookiesVegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk CookiesVegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama April 19, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I absolutely love cookies that are sweetened with bananas. My very first “healthy cookie” I made was this type and I’ve been addicted ever since. I’ll bet the chocolate chips make these really delicious.

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 20, 2011 at 9:16 am

Me too! Although it was a different recipe. So yummy :)

3 Jess@HealthyExposures April 19, 2011 at 5:37 pm

These look amazing! We were definitely on the same wave-length today :P
I agree completely on the healthy cookies thought. I’m totally fine with muffin tops baked on a cookie sheet…I’m not totally fine with calling them cookies! lol. Besides, some coconut oil is not going to hurt you. It might even help you, and definitely makes a better cookie ;)

4 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 20, 2011 at 9:15 am

Yeah we were, haha. Awesome!
Same, muffin tops are muffin tops. Good, but not my kind of cookie. I’m finding coconut oil does make really good cookies :D

5 sheila @ Elements April 19, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I’m totally drooling right now!!! I’ve bookmarked this and will definitely make some this week!! I don’t have enough bananas, but I’ll be able to make half a batch at least, and since I’ve given up processed sugar for Lent, I’ll use agave nectar instead of maple syrup.

I can’t wait to make them! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! I love that I can eat cookies and it still be healthy for me. :)

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 20, 2011 at 9:13 am

Actually that’s what I did with these cookies originally – made half a batch. It worked great :) I really hope you enjoy them!

7 Ashley April 19, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Hey, new reader here! I just had to comment on these amazing looking cookies. I’m big on trying to find healthier solutions for the sweets I just cannot live without, and these look like a they’d work perfectly! Mmmm and bananas.. so good in cookies!

8 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 20, 2011 at 9:11 am

Welcome! Thanks so much for the comment :) I love finding healthier recipes or ideas for sweet things too :) I cannot live without sweets either, but it’s so much nicer to have naturally sweet things.

9 Lauren Hayes April 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm

These look very yum!

10 Ryan @ Aloha Appetite April 20, 2011 at 2:22 am

:O I love just the title of these cookies. They look perfect!

11 ThE DiVa DiSh April 20, 2011 at 6:50 am

Such beautiful pictures of some YUMMY looking cookies :)

12 Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls April 20, 2011 at 8:36 am

Love that these are a healthy treat! They look sooo tasty!

Mary
Delightful Bitefuls

13 Jordan @ Kitchen Karate April 20, 2011 at 9:02 am

I’m so happy you tried them and were able to adapt them in to a vegan recipe. They look great! :)

14 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 20, 2011 at 9:09 am

Thank you for the original recipe, I know we’ll be making these again and again! Actually your recipe was vegan as long as chocolate chips without dairy in them are used :)

15 blog by tina April 20, 2011 at 11:02 am

I love it! I am always looking for delishus healthy cookies! I will have to make these for my lil monkies

16 Elizabeth April 20, 2011 at 11:25 am

Hey – these look FANTASTIC! I’m not, though, a fan of coconut in anything. Do you think they would work just leaving out the coconuts, or do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

17 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 20, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Thank you! You could probably just use more oats in place of the coconut :)

18 kate@ahealthypassion April 20, 2011 at 12:11 pm

bananas make the best cookies and I love that these are GF!

19 Kristina April 20, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Yum! These look amazing, I love coconut! Plus peanut butter and bananas, you can’t go wrong!

20 hazelcelt April 25, 2011 at 6:12 am

Dying to try these! They look divine!

21 Jess May 3, 2011 at 8:07 am

I have to tell you how I found your blog! Someone was on mine and saved a post to their pinterest site, which was found through another pinterest site, so I decided to looking through their saved foods, and found this pic of your cookies, which interested me….small world. anyway, can’t wait to try these. Happy blogging!

22 Monica May 4, 2011 at 4:47 am

Delicious! They look and also taste delicious! I love healthy food and this little ones are perfect for breakfast.

23 molly May 19, 2011 at 7:41 am

Hi! We made the cookies and they were delish (thanks!) but they didn’t hold together very well. I didn’t have coconut flakes on hand, and just left them out. I added some raisins also. Do you have any ideas for how they might hold together better? Now that I think about it maybe I should have added more oats in place of the coconut flakes…

24 Heidi @ Food Doodles May 19, 2011 at 11:13 am

Hmmm… Mine held together really well. I was actually surprised. I think making sure the wet to dry ratio is the same will make a difference when you try them next time so if you don’t have coconut, add more oats. I’m glad you liked them even if they didn’t hold together well.

25 Anna August 22, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Hi! I just found this recipe after searching for quite a while for a gluten free, vegan cookie recipe. I just made a batch and they are DELICIOUS. I used honey instead of maple syrup and they turned out great!

I saw that a few readers asked about how to get the dough to hold together better. Mine was a bit liquidy at first, but then I let the dough sit for about 10 minutes, allowing the oats to absorb some of the moisture, and it thickened right up!

26 Wertcha October 29, 2012 at 11:36 am

Hi, I just made them – and they are delicious!!! Thank you soooo much for this recipe! Greetings from the Czech Republic :)

27 Trisha May 16, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Hey! I just made these, and everyone loved them.
Except mine were not crispy at all and were “Muffin Top” like, like fat free cookies.
I had used frozen bananas, could this be the cause?

Tahnks so much!