Coconut Granola and a Creamy Grape Breakfast Bowl

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 16, 2011

I used to absolutely love granola and granola bars.  Anything crunchy and sweet with oats.  In fact I still really like those kinds of things, but I’ve come to the realization that granola is more of a topping than a whole-bowl-full kind of food because a tiny bowl with just granola wont cut it for me.  What helps is making it yourself.  Then you know exactly what’s in it and you can control just how much sugar and oil is in it.  I still have yet to create a granola with those awesome clusters though(but I do have a few things to try, and plenty of flavor ideas to keep me going :))

Fortunately, granola is super easy to make, throw everything together and bake until it’s golden.  This granola didn’t turn out too crunchy, just slightly.  I’m sure if you cook it longer than I did it will get a little crispier, but it’s also fairly low in fat and sugar so don’t expect it to be just like store bought.  I find I like this way better than I remember store bought granola being and as a plus, this is way cheaper too.

1 Raquel @ Erecipe June 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Love this breakfast, very light and nutritious

2 Jess@Healthy Exposures June 16, 2011 at 6:25 pm

the granola looks wonderful. i love how many flavor combinations you can come up with when making it from scratch, though i do love the love grown foods kind i recently tried! i also prefer it for topping things, though 🙂

3 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh June 16, 2011 at 11:41 pm

Ok…I would seriously love love love to have you cook every meal for me! Everything you make is so yummy looking! coconut granola just speaks to my heart!!

4 Rosa June 17, 2011 at 5:36 am

A wonderful breafast dish. That granola must be very addictive.

Cheers,

Rosa

5 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 17, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I am also one who thinks of granola as more of a topper than the focus of breakfast. I love the grape dish! I always forget how good grapes are with yogurt! And I can imagine this coconut granola taking it over the top!

Can you believe I’ve never made my own granola? I mean, I’ve tried a couple (like literally two) of recipes, but I’ve always been a bit intimidated to try my own experiments!

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 17, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I was always intimidated too. So I just jumped in and made so many mistakes. I made one once with shredded coconut and cooked at at too high of a temperature and all the little coconut bits burned 🙁 And then I tried one with pureed fruit instead of the oil. I’m sure it could be good, but my experiment was totally not! Oops, haha. I hate wasting ingredients 🙁 But I love experimenting now that I’ve jumped in!

7 sally June 23, 2011 at 8:32 am

Looks like what I just ate for breakfast! I love granola too! I’ll have to give your recipe a try soon.

8 Hanna August 26, 2013 at 7:00 am

Another great recipe! I’m going to try one of your breakfast bars next!

{ 1 trackback }