Whole Wheat Spinach “Monster” Pasta

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 30, 2011

Whole Wheat Spinach Monster Pasta

I was so excited a couple weeks ago because I finally bought myself a pasta roller.  They actually aren’t that big of a deal, I got mine(which seems to be fairly good quality) for about $30.  It is already money well spent now that I don’t have to consider homemade pasta as a special treat, I can make it fairly quickly whenever instead of using boxed pasta.  And considering how much healthier it is, using freshly ground wheat and farm fresh eggs, not to mention it’s much cheaper than buying it.  My first experiment was to make 100% freshly ground whole wheat, and while it worked, it still needs a little experimentation.  This experiment worked very well though and it was so yummy!  I can’t wait to make this one again.

I know I was talking about my pasta maker but it really isn’t very difficult to make this by hand either.  The rolling out will take some time and muscle, but it’s well worth it for a special treat.  I know it can be rather disappointing when you’ve rolled it all and cut it to find you don’t have much pasta, but don’t be too disappointed as the pasta will grow in the boiling water, and plus with whole wheat flour and eggs it doesn’t take much of this pasta to fill a person up Whole Wheat Spinach Monster Pasta

Whole Wheat Spinach Monster Pasta

There are so many different ways to dress pasta and unfortunately I’m not that creative.  Of course one of my favorites is just a basic marinara sauce but I’m thinking of and already have a few new ideas for flavored pastas(not to mention fun pasta shapes) and pasta dishes that I can’t wait to try out in the future.  For this dish I just tossed the pasta with a little olive oil(or butter would be great) and mixed in some fresh herbs and dried tomatoes and then topped it with parmesan.

Whole Wheat Spinach Monster Pasta

Just talking about kids for a moment here (if you noticed the title of the post :D) I’ve found, at least with my son, that naming foods differently can help immensely with how picky he is.  In general my son isn’t picky at all, but sometimes all it takes is changing the name of a dish to get him to try it when he’s not too excited about giving something a first try.  Monster smoothies are also a favorite around here.

Whole Wheat Spinach Monster Pasta

Whole Wheat Spinach Monster Pasta

What’s your favorite shape of pasta?  Have you ever made your own pasta?  If you have kids, do you have any funny names for dishes to get them to try it?

1 Maris (In Good Taste) June 30, 2011 at 6:27 pm

This looks so good and makes me want to buy a pasta maker too!

2 Maria @ Scandifoodie June 30, 2011 at 7:13 pm

There is something so immensely satisfying in making your own pasta! What a gorgeously wholesome dish!

3 Jeanette June 30, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Heidi, your pasta looks so fresh and healthy – love that you name your food to make it more fun to eat!

4 nancy@skinnykitchen.com June 30, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Wow…I’m very impressed that you made your own healthy whole wheat spinach pasta. Looks delish!

5 Marina {Yummy Mummy} June 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Oh my family and I would LOVE this. I adore spinach pasta and have a kitchenaid pasta attachment just waiting for me to make this :)

6 Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 1, 2011 at 4:16 am

Love the color you get from the spinach in the pasta! Yum

7 Michaela July 1, 2011 at 6:11 am

That looks delicious! Funny, how kids are attracted to food with silly names ;) It works magic!
I have made pasta before (Jamie Oliver has got a great tutorial on youtube) and it took me like 5 minutes, even though I do not own a pasta machine.

8 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum July 1, 2011 at 6:18 am

My favorite shape of pasta is definitely shells or penne. But I love adding spinach to my pasta just like this recipe does! YUM!

9 niner from wechooseorganic.com July 1, 2011 at 7:07 am

This looks just deeelicious!!
Wish youa great Friday :-)

niner from wechooseorganic.com

10 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 1, 2011 at 11:55 am

You inspire me, Heidi! I’m going to have to be on the lookout for a pasta maker.

11 Olga @ MangoTomato July 3, 2011 at 9:30 am

the color of the pasta is so pretty! I actually have a manual pasta rolling machine: should probably take it out and give it a spin soon ;)

it’s hard to choose a favorite shape: it just depends on what I’m cooking.

12 Beth July 6, 2011 at 7:45 am

I’ve never made my own pasta at home before (only in culinary school), I love the idea of adding spinach!

13 Angela July 8, 2011 at 12:59 pm

this recipe looks awesome! i just did a post about how tasty spinach can be and included one of your photos! the pictured gives you credit in the caption and links right to this page. thanks for sharing! here’s the link to the blog post – http://reluctantwwfoodie.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/spinach-can-be-tasty/

14 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 8, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Thank you for the link – I’ll go take a look :)

15 Kate October 12, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Green pasta looks simply amazing! A few months ago I made red homemade pasta using beetroot. Anyway, thanks for sharing this recipe, Heidi!
Kate recently posted..Yummy Homemade Pasta