Crispy Garlic Oven Fries

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 5, 2011

DSC_0018

For a long time I thought the only way to get decent fries was to deep fry them.  And since I don’t remember ever deep frying anything and don’t particularly plan to start I figured we had to go out to get decent fries for a treat.  But no, not really.  In fact now that I haven’t had fries except for homemade in quite a while I find I don’t really want anything except the fries that come out of my own oven.  They’re crunchy but soft, I can change how I spice them to however I want, and they taste like potatoes.  Yay!

Since today is a fairly quick post and lately I haven’t been able to think of any new and exciting topics to talk about I thought I’d post a couple pretty pictures.  We have a not so nice rose bush/tree in our yard.  I’m not sure whether it’s a tree or bush, but I lean towards tree because of it’s shape.  Anyways, when my husband was tearing the entire yard apart I made him save this poor little tree only to find out that most of it is dead, or died along the way.  In any case, the flours that are on it are gorgeous and smell amazing.  I’ll be sad to lose it when we have to rip it out again, so I’m hoping it recovers.

I took these a couple weeks ago and now they’re starting to fade, but we enjoyed them while they lasted, and brought quite a few into the house while we could 🙂

I served these along side my Falafel Burgers, but they taste amazing beside any burger or even on their own with ketchup.  They also make an amazing poutine 😀

1 Nikki July 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I just made these – perfection! I’ve tried making oven fries before – these directions really worked for perfectly crispy on the outside, soft on the inside fries! Yummy! Thanks!

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Wow, thank you so much for the feedback already! I’m so glad you enjoyed them 😀

3 Felicia July 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Love! I can’t resist a french fry!!

4 Dinks July 5, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Yum – I love thick cut fries with the skin on. Next time I find some decent potatoes I am making these, maybe with some sweet potato fries mixed in too.

5 megi July 5, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Looks delicious. I definitely prefer homemade, oven baked fries to deep fried ones, I’ll try adding spices next time, I love how good your fries look with paprika. I usually either make them plain or with garlic and rosemary. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

6 Betsy July 5, 2011 at 8:48 pm

This is my first visit to your site and I the non deep fried fries certainly caught my attention. I am a sweet potato fries fan but just like you, I wouldn’t deep fry anything in my house (well apartment).

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to reading your future and past posts (to catch up).

/Mami

7 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I actually love sweet potato fries too! They are delicious, but I love these for their crunchiness that I can never get with sweet potato fries. Thank you so much for dropping by 😀

8 Cookie and Kate July 5, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Those look amazing! It’s too hot to turn on my oven for long, but I’ll definitely roast some fries when fall comes around. 🙂

9 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I know exactly what you mean! I’m cooking in my house today. I can’t wait to make more of these when it cools down because to make more right now would be crazy!

10 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum July 5, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Yum! I love thick potato fries like this. I can never get them quite crunchy enough, though… did these turn out at least semi- crunchy?

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 2:44 pm

They did actually! I was quite surprised because usually they don’t. I’m sure the key must be baking them good and long.

12 Marsha @ The Harried Cook July 6, 2011 at 1:01 am

Yummy! Homemade oven fries are the best… and yours look awesome, especially with all that garlic & onion powder! I bet it smelled heavenly! Thanks for sharing 🙂

13 shaheen July 6, 2011 at 5:25 am

I enjoy eating my fires, but smothered in garlic powder takes it to another level – yum – drooling – I will certainly have to make these.

14 Carissa July 6, 2011 at 6:46 am

Those seasonings sound delicious! We started making our own fries in the oven awhile back and now the ones in restaurants just don’t measure up at all! You’re right – home baked ones actually taste like potatoes. It makes all the difference!

15 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Absolutely! I’m so glad you know exactly what I mean 😀 Thanks for dropping by!

16 The Teenage Taste July 6, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love that you “healthified” the typical burger and fries. It looks delicious!

17 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh July 6, 2011 at 9:19 am

Beautiful flowers!! And I love that they are pink 🙂
And yum for oven fries! I have tons of potatoes, so this recipe is calling my name!

18 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I knew you would! 😀

19 Charissa July 6, 2011 at 10:44 am

Your rose pictures are just gorgeous! They could go on a calender! We have yellow roses by our lawn and they are so pretty…gotta say, how can a girl not like roses?

The fries look really amazing!

20 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Aw thank you! those took a few tries as they were above my head so most of my pictures were focused on the tree instead of the flowers, haha. I’m glad I got some!
Thank you!

21 Jessica July 6, 2011 at 11:06 am

These look great! I love anything including garlic and potatoes! 😀

22 Tiff July 6, 2011 at 11:31 am

I love oven fries. I agree that “fries” don’t have to be fried to be good. However, they do still need oil. Drat! ha

23 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Haha, I agree, too bad!

24 Tessa July 6, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Love oven fries!! My boyfriend is obsessed with garlic fries so I think I’ll have to make these for him 🙂

25 Pure2raw twins July 6, 2011 at 12:42 pm

love making homemade fries 😉 yours look great, love the addition of garlic, I need to start eating more garlic

26 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Mmm, we can’t get enough garlic in this house 😀 Thank you so much for your comments! <3

27 Cooking Gallery July 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I usually make oven fries at home and only eat deep-fried fries when eating out. Adding garlic sounds like a wonderful idea and I like your falafel burger too, looks delish…!!

28 Maris (In Good Taste) July 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I was hoping to see this today after seeing their picture yesterday! Awesome! They look amazing