Caesar Salad with Lemon Roasted Chickpeas

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 10, 2011

Well, salad season is in full force.  I don’t know about you, but for a lot of meals, heavy, cooked foods just don’t sound good to me when it’s hot outside(and inside for that matter).  I actually have another salad dressing to share with you in a few days but for now, this one is very refreshing and light.  This dressing is usually always in our fridge, it’s a favorite of everyone’s in the house.  My husband takes a small jar of this dressing and some chopped lettuce to work and my son even asks for this Caesar salad for snacks, so it must be good right?  The original dressing recipe calls for an egg yolk from an egg that’s been coddled so you can add that if you want to keep it traditional and you can also top it with Parmesan if you’d like to but on a regular basis we just like to keep it simple.

In my salad I used the chickpeas as a protein source and used quite a few.  You can just use them in place of something like croutons though, using just a few, as roasting them makes them slightly crunchy.  If you’d rather have completely crunchy chickpeas I recommend baking them for about 50-55 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, and maybe more frequently at the end to prevent burning.  Or you can up the temperature to 425 degrees and reduce the baking time to about 40-45 minutes, although you’ll have to watch them much closer to prevent burning.  I haven’t made crunchy chickpeas with this particular recipe, but I have used other recipes with the first method and it works well.

1 Crustabakes July 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm

This looks so healthy and green! i love the colours!

2 Jess@Healthy Exposures July 10, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I’m with you – cool salads are the way to go this time of year! It’s practically all I crave. (…aside from waffles and eggs, lol) Caesar is definitely at the top of my favorites list when it comes to salads, too! This dressing looks great. Can’t see what else you have in store, too. I tore apart all my cookbooks this afternoon looking for a dressing that “called” to me. (…or maybe I just had practically none of the right ingredients for the majority of them…? lol)

3 Raquel @ Erecipe July 10, 2011 at 9:59 pm

salad is one of the best, specially when I am on the diet.

4 Angie@Angiesrecipes July 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Caesar salad with roasted chickpeas…I simply adore the idea. It looks light, delightful and delish as well.

5 kankana July 10, 2011 at 11:52 pm

This is such a fantastic salad with such simple ingredients. Caesar salad is actually one of my fav because of the crunchy texture.

6 Paula @ Spoons 'n' Spades July 11, 2011 at 12:43 am

Mmm, I love the sound of the roasted chickpeas. I love a healthy salad too 🙂

Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog and comment.

7 Maris(In Good Taste) July 11, 2011 at 2:24 am

My mom just asked me for a good recipe for roasting chickpeas and I now have one for her!

8 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum July 11, 2011 at 5:53 am

I have not made my own Caesar dressing before… I’m inspired to give this a try! Plus anything with chickpeas always gets my attention. 🙂

9 Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen July 11, 2011 at 7:09 am

I love roasted chick peas! I need to give this salad recipe a try…I bet it tastes amazing! 🙂

10 Rawkinmom July 11, 2011 at 11:44 am

yum! That salad looks great!! I love crunchy romaine lettuce!!

11 Aubrey July 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Yum, this looks like a great summer salad! I just love adding chickpeas to everything, especially with lemon.

12 stephanie November 12, 2012 at 1:29 pm

great site, love the ideas and your inspiration.