Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie Cutter

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 18, 2011

Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie CutterHi everyone!  I hope you’ve all had a great weekend and hopefully your Monday is going well too :)  I don’t know about anyone else, but Monday just seems to explode with things to do.  My feed reader gets packed full of things to read over night and there are blog posts to be written after being put off over the weekend(so sorry!).  And of course the house is a disaster.  Somehow little kids in a kiddie pool in the backyard with freshly mowed grass equals a messy house.  Who knew, right?

Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie CutterSo I actually made these last week.  And unfortunately the week before our coffee table was broken by a certain toddler.  And while it’s still usable, it’s probably not the safest to keep in the house.  So the table I usually take pictures on was gone so for this shoot I decided to use my sons toy box, which just happens to be a perfect oceany backdrop :)  In any case, my husband made us a new table and I can’t wait to stain it and get it inside to use it Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie Cutter

Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie CutterAnyways, enough chattering about nothing!  You’ll notice the edges of my crackers aren’t very pretty but that’s just due to the whole grains, the bran doesn’t cut through and leaves edges that aren’t perfectly smooth.  You can always go around after cutting them to smooth out the edges, but it’s not necessary.  You can also go around with toothpick and make little eyes and mouths on them, but again, totally optional.

If you’ve ever wanted to make fishy shaped crackers, you know that the cookie cutter is crazy expensive if you can find one that looks like a goldfish.  So when I found this tutorial at Miss Anthropist’s Kitchen  I couldn’t wait to try it:)

Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie Cutter

Here’s a basic tutorial.  Start by taking an empty pop can and cutting a strip out from around it using scissors, no wider than 3/4″.  Be careful with the edges as they can be very sharp.  Depending on the size of the can and how big you want your fish you may not need the entire section of can, but you can always shorten your piece later.  I also recommend cutting up the entire can into little strips as some will break.  And if you’re anything like me you’ll enjoy making all different shapes and sizes of fishies Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie Cutter

In picture number one, the space between the two folds will determine the size of the fishy’s body, and in this case his body was really small.  In picture number 2 the length between the first folds and the second folds determine how long the fishes tail will be.

And picture number three, I used tape to hold mine together, but if yours are big enough you can also use staples, but I chose to make most of mine fairly small.  Yes I said most.  I made a ton.  You can also draw out what you want your fish to look like and fold your piece of can accordingly.  Also, be careful not to fold and refold one spot too many times as the metal will break very easily.

Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie Cutter

Now that you know how to make a goldfish cutter, you can really make any crackers you like into little goldfishes.  I made these crackers from Smitten Kitchen using all whole wheat flour and adding a pinch of garlic powder and paprika.  They are so buttery and rich.  I recommend this recipe for sure, although it’s not usually what we like to have for every day snacking, more of a special treat.

Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie Cutter

These crackers we have in the house most of the time though because we love them so much.  I’ve made them with original recipe using spelt and those are great too, but usually I have more whole wheat flour than spelt so I tend to make them this way more often.

Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie Cutter

Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie Cutter
Sorry, I couldn’t help myself Homemade Goldfish Crackers and DIY Goldfish Cookie Cutter

1 Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm

These crackers are so cute!

2 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh July 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm

This is too cute!!
DO you think my one year old could handle these..are they soft or crunchy?
Either way, I’ll eat them! :)

3 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm

I think she probably could. They are crunchy but not too hard. I love munching on them too :D

4 kankana July 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm

The crackers looks lovely and I remember seeing the DIY project in her blog and it’s really a cool way to make cutter.

5 Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets July 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I loved that tutorial/post too! I’m glad you decided to try it as well — they look so cute and super yummy!

6 Ryan July 18, 2011 at 6:55 pm

These are adorable! Goldfish crackers are so good (and addictive), I bet the homemade version is even better! Your tutorial and photos are great and I like the blue table as backdrop for the fish. :) So cute!

7 Pure2raw twins July 18, 2011 at 8:11 pm

too cute! they look great. Goldfish has been on our list to make, one day

8 Rawkinmom July 18, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I saw a cracker post awhile back and forgot about it until I saw yours!! I need to start making my own crackers!! LOve the idea of making my own fish cut out!!! :)

9 kristy July 18, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Oooo… such a great idea and thanks so much for sharing it as well. Blessed you!
Regards, Kristy

10 Maris (In Good Taste July 19, 2011 at 5:18 am

These are amazing. Very helpful tutorial

11 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 19, 2011 at 6:29 am

I can’t tell you for how long I’ve wanted to make homemade goldfish crackers. I’ve been held back because I couldn’t find a fish-shaped cookie cuter. Now I have a way to make my own! Thank you so much, Heidi. :-)

12 Angie@Angiesrecipes July 19, 2011 at 8:02 am

Ain’t they just lovely!

13 Sonia The Healthy Foodie July 19, 2011 at 9:50 am

Too cute!!! I love the last picture with the big fish going after the little guy. Poor thing, I hope he’s a fast swimmer!

Sorry to hear your trusty “photo shoot” table got busted. I hope we get to see the new table your hubby made for you! Home made furniture is just so cool! :D

14 Melissa @ Dash of East July 19, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Oh, these are adorable! So perfect for kids! My 3 year old nephew loves goldfish crackers, I will have to pass this recipe on to my sis-in-law!

And that last photo – awesome! Love it.

15 Dewi July 19, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Heidi, you are truly creative person. Love that cute homemade fish mold/cutter. I am sure the children will be happy to help in the kitchen, making their own gold fish.

16 Joyti July 19, 2011 at 3:43 pm

That’s such a great idea – the goldfish cutter that is. So cute too. And homemade crackers – yum!

17 Charissa July 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Haha, that’s awesome! I’m just loving this! I’ve been wanting to make my own goldfish crackers for a long time!

18 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum July 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm

How fun! I love that they are goldfish, too! :)

19 Ashley @ The Drunk Squash July 19, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I am bookmarking these!! So adorable, and I cannot resist recipes with nutritional yeast!
Also I’m loving the goldfish cutter tutorial :)

20 bakerbynature July 19, 2011 at 5:42 pm

You are too cute! Seriously I love this idea; I so much prefer to make chip like snacks myself.

21 Meesh July 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Awe, that last picture was so cute :)
Your blog is awesome, and I loved this post!!!

22 Lisa July 19, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I love the idea of making goldfish crackers! Joe loves goldfish, and whenever he buys them (usually when they’re on sale), he talks about how he really doesn’t want to be eating them…but there’s just something about them! I wonder if he’d go for these :)

Thanks for sharing!

23 Maria @ Scandifoodie July 20, 2011 at 1:33 am

They look so adorable!

24 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes July 20, 2011 at 7:42 am

My kids are crazy about Goldfish crackers. How fun to make them at home and even better that they’re whole wheat.

25 Paula @ Spoons 'n' Spades July 20, 2011 at 7:43 am

What a great idea to make your own template! These look wonderful, bet they taste great too :-)

26 Carissa July 20, 2011 at 8:21 am

Yum yum! I’m impressed with your patience! Cut out cookies/crackers are always last on my list because I get fed up with cutting half way through.

27 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Usually I don’t have that kind of patience either! But they are just too fun. Plus, they work great cut into square or whatever shape is easiest for when you just can’t cut another fish out, like I did :D

28 Amy @ Gastronome Tart July 20, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I have a serious addiction to Goldfish. I have been known to eat the whole bag which is why I don’t buy them that often :) However, I have never had homemade Goldfish. Will be bookmarking this one for sure!

29 bhavani/ameanderingmango July 21, 2011 at 3:49 am

Oh how sweet! My nephews absolutely love goldfish crackers – will definitely have to make these for them next time I see them. Thanks!

30 Stacy July 25, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Could I substitute whole wheat pastry flour with the same results?

31 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Yes! I’ve made them before with pastry flour and it works perfectly :)

32 Chantale February 5, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I can not wait to try this, I really miss having crackers. Now I can make my own. But need to change the whole wheat to white flour. I have IBS and whole wheat is a no-no in my diet. Thank you for the recipie.

33 Alaina March 28, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I just stumbled across you blog. Thank you pinterest. I have absolutely fallen in love!! It’s a culmination of everything I’ve been looking for in one place. We have been I guess you called it clean eating since I first found out was pregnant. It has been a somewhat slow learning process but such an amazing life style change. I know I’m doing everything possible to create a healthy lifestyle for my daughter! Awesome blog!

34 Cari January 20, 2014 at 2:44 pm

These are yummy and easy. I’ve made homemade cheese crackers before with cheddar cheese, but first time with nutritional yeast. Once I saw your recipe I knew I had to make it, I love the flavor of nutritional yeast. I used WW pastry flour and had to add an additional 3Tbsp of water to form the dough. Rolled to 1/6, cut into squares (your fishes are so cute btw) right on parchment on my sheet. Only needed 14mins to bake but my oven temp can be a little wonkie too. Thank you Heidi!

35 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 31, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Thanks for commenting Cari! I’m so glad you enjoyed them :)