Polenta Lasagna

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 22, 2011

Polenta LasagnaI love polenta.  Like really, I absolutely love the stuff, but it has to be made right.  Honestly, if you’re buying it in the tube at the grocery store and expecting it to taste good straight from the tube you’re going to be sadly disappointed like I was at first.  I’m going to go out on a limb and say even if you can get good polenta in a tube, you’re better off making it from scratch anyways.

Polenta Lasagna

The wonderful thing about this dish is the polenta layer can be left soft or it can be baked until the edges are crispy and crunchy and the inside is soft and creamy and delicious.  Completely up to you, and both ways are great.

Polenta Lasagna

Also, you can freeze polenta.  Although it doesn’t take much time to throw together it is incredibly helpful to make a large batch, cut into pieces and wrap in saran wrap.  Throw them in the freezer in a ziploc bag and you’re one step closer to enjoying this meal(or a crunchy snack) whenever.

Plus, I hope everyone knows already that tomato based sauces freeze especially well, so when you need dinner, just pull out a batch of polenta, some tomato sauce and throw it all together for a super yummy meal.  Of course using frozen polenta the bake time will be longer but you can just unwrap it, spritz or brush with oil and throw it in the oven, just be sure to watch that the bottom doesn’t burn before you realize it.

Polenta Lasagna

Polenta Lasagna

Polenta Lasagna

1 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 22, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Oh, I am totally drooling over this recipe! I can’t wait to try it. I love polenta, too. I’ve never bought it from a tube. It’s so easy to make on your own I’ve never seen the need.

2 Maris (In Good Taste) July 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm

This looks fabulous! Very delicious!

3 Sonia The Healthy Foodie July 22, 2011 at 9:00 pm

OMG this looks fantastic!!! I was just thinking how it had been so long since I’d made polenta and how I was WAY overdue for a little fix! LOVE the idea of making it into a lasagna. Brilliant! Guess where this is going!
Oh, and your pictures are just equally brilliant. I can’t stop looking at them. I’m hungry now. Better go to bed…

4 Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 23, 2011 at 6:41 am

This is such a good idea and a great alternative to lasagna to those who can’t eat gluten!

5 Sally July 23, 2011 at 7:00 am

I’m reading this on Saturday morning and all I can think is: I want this for breakfast! I, too, am a polenta lover (and all things corn.) That makes me think, I might stir some leftover corn kernels to this–will have to try as soon as it cools off enough around here to turn on the oven!

6 Katie Thacher July 23, 2011 at 8:59 am

This looks delicious! I love the idea of treating polenta like lasagna.

7 Ashley @ The Drunk Squash July 23, 2011 at 10:58 am

Awesome recipe(s), I’m so glad you posted them. My experience with polenta was irreversibly marred by college cafeteria cooking, but I’ve always wanted to love it. I have a feeling polenta lasagna could be the gateway recipe… thanks!

8 Maria @ Scandifoodie July 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm

What a great idea! I’ll have to try this!

9 Pretty. Good. Food. July 23, 2011 at 6:52 pm

This sounds great. Never thought to make pizzas out of polenta! Thanks for the inspiration :)

10 Marsha @ The Harried Cook July 24, 2011 at 2:11 am

I love polenta too! This sounds like such a fabulous idea & recipe… and your pictures are gorgeous too! Thanks for sharing :)

11 Yadi @ShopCookMake July 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I made something similar a while ago, but didn’t look as pretty.

12 Lynda July 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I love this inspiration for lasagna!

13 Deborah Dowd July 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I love this idea! A lighter version of lasagna for these hot summer days- a stroke of genius!

14 Kate@Diethood July 24, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Now there’s an idea!! Brilliant … I love this lasagna. And I just want to eat up your photos! :)

15 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh July 25, 2011 at 7:17 am

Please slap me because I have never tried polenta! This looks amazing!
I really shouldn’t read blogs in the morning, because I am laying in bed, STARVING! And that melty cheese on top!…It’s just making my tummy growl louder! :)

16 shirley@kokken69 July 25, 2011 at 8:12 am

I have been really curious about polenta and I really think I should give this a try… if not for anything else ( It looks so moreish) … I need to expand my knowledge about food :) Thanks for sharing!

17 Nikita July 25, 2011 at 9:36 am

I love polenta! I have never used it in lasagna though. I will have to try it this week!

18 Claudie July 25, 2011 at 11:20 am

This polenta lasagna is gorgeous. You can definitely see everything is cooked fresh and with care. Really, really nicely done! :)

19 Jennifer (Delicieux) July 25, 2011 at 3:29 pm

What a great idea! I have never heard of polenta lasagna. Your lasagna looks delicious and so comforting.

20 Olga @ MangoTomato July 26, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I’ve made something similar once, but used ‘plain’ polenta. I like that you spiced it up. Looks really pretty!

21 kankana July 26, 2011 at 8:47 pm

uuuu Polenta as Lasagna.. loving the idea and I am going to try this next time!

22 Peggy July 27, 2011 at 2:57 pm

What a great idea! Definitely going to try this when it starts getting cooler outside =)

23 Tiffany July 28, 2011 at 6:56 am

What a great idea. Never have tried it but I would love to! Thanks for sharing!!

24 Saree Rentals July 18, 2012 at 11:09 am

What an interesting take on lasagna! Once again, very pleased with what you have created!

25 Angela November 25, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Just tried this recipe with my sister. We were both wanting to try and make something with polenta. It was soo delicious! I had found your recipe on pinterest and the photo instantly caught my attention. We added goat cheese and capers as well. Thank you for the inspiration.

26 RL November 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Hubby is a polenta fan, I love lasagna, so this was obviously a huge hit at my house. Thank you for this recipe ! Polenta has now made it’s way into the “gotta keep this stuff on hand” list. Easy to make from scratch, it replaces many other starches. Last night we used polenta with chicken tikka masala, instead of rice. Recommend !