Raspberry Clafoutis

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 27, 2011

I’ve read that “flaugnarde” is the proper way to refer to this, although I’m not 100% sure(correct me if I’m wrong!) and I can only guess at how to say flaugnarde so I do prefer calling it a clafoutis which is much easier to say.  This is one of my favorite local recipes because I can incorporate so many local ingredients, including my favorite local eggs that I really can’t live without, and our local whole wheat flour.

We’re also loving this recipe because we’ve been doing plenty of this lately:

Even though it’s been rainy and cool, and then warm and humid and not the most pleasant picking weather(meaning my hair looks the same as my daughters hair in the above picture right now – fuzzy :() the raspberries are amazing and we’ve been having fun picking.

We even got to see this little guy this morning:

If you’ve never had any kind of clafoutis, I highly recommend them.  They’re so simple and easy and you get to impress people with a fancy French dessert that really doesn’t take long to make at all.

Just as a small note, you really can make a clafoutis out of most fruits so you can always try using another fruit that’s in season.  Just be careful not to fill your pan too full with fruit before pouring the egg mixture over top.  I think just about any fruit would be delicious in this and can’t wait to make more in the future.

I also still have more local produce in my fridge as I speak so I’m off to publish this and then get to work!  I have so many ideas right now.  Don’t you love when that happens?  I wish it was all the time for me, but sadly it isn’t so I better get to work while I’m inspired!

1 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 27, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Hi Heidi! Thanks for linking back to my site. Wow, you made clafoutis with raspberry! It looks delicious and lovely! Your daughter is so cute. I hope she enjoyed eating it. 🙂 I should try making with blueberries as they are one of my favorite berries. Thanks for your inspiration!

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Well thank you for a great recipe! Funny you should mention blueberries, that was the first berry we tried!! I used frozen berries and it didn’t turn out quite as pretty though so I didn’t post it 😀 It was so delicious though, you should try it for sure!

3 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 28, 2011 at 11:46 pm

I’ll use regular blueberries and see how it goes! 🙂

4 tanja@tanjascookingcorner July 27, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Heidi, I have discovered your lovely blog through Nami- your raspberry clafoutis looks fantastic!!! I have made a raspberry-nectarine raspberry a few days ago, and it was simply delicious! And you are so right, clafoutis is easy to make and simple, you can use more or less any type of fruit- so incredibly yummie…

Greetings from Austria! 🙂
Tanja

5 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 28, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Thanks for stopping by! Raspberry nectarine sounds amazing, I’ll have to try that next! Great to “meet” you Tanja!

6 Melissa @ Dash of East July 27, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Oh yum! Your raspberry clafoutis looks delicious. I think you’ve convinced me to make some myself, plus, it will be an excuse to pull that cast iron skillet out! Now, I just need to decide what fruit to use 🙂 Blackberries, maybe?

And I’m loving that photo of the deer. Great capture!

7 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama July 27, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I’ve never tried this type of dessert (whatever you call it!) but I think I need to. It looks like something I would love!

8 bakerbynature July 27, 2011 at 8:38 pm

This looks absolutely delicious, and a perfect way to use these beautiful Summer fruits. The picture of your daughter is so precious!

9 Baltic Maid July 27, 2011 at 10:20 pm

This looks delicious… I wish I had some fresh berries here right now…

10 Marsha @ The Harried Cook July 27, 2011 at 11:37 pm

The raspberry clafoutis is so pretty & I bet it tasted really good too! Your daughter is adorable 🙂 Thanks for sharing this with us…

11 Giulietta @ Alterkitchen July 28, 2011 at 12:20 am

Wow, very nice idea making a flognard (it’s easy to say: “flo-gnar”) with raspberries! I did it only with cherries, but it was wonderful! 🙂

12 Sasha @ The Procrastobaker July 28, 2011 at 1:35 am

wowwww, this looks delicious!!! More berries jammed in there than i thought was humanly possible 🙂 all together a veryvery good thing! I really hope to give this one a go, it looks absolutely wonderful

13 Angie@Angiesrecipes July 28, 2011 at 2:02 am

wow Raspberry!!! I wish I could have a slice now.

14 Joanne July 28, 2011 at 3:46 am

Both names for this are certainly a mouthful, but you’re right…clafouti sounds way better! Looks delicious either way…I love that custardy texture.

15 Maris (In Good Taste July 28, 2011 at 7:00 am

What lovely pictures! This looks so delicious and so does your daughter!

16 Sonia The Healthy Foodie July 28, 2011 at 7:27 am

Oh Heidi! You just reminded me of Cherry Clafoutis… and got me craving it badly! Your Raspberry version looks super delicious too. I’ve never tried making clafoutis in a cast iron skillet… what a brilliant idea!
Do you get to pick all those raspberries right in your own backyard?

17 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 28, 2011 at 10:58 am

I actually haven’t tried cherry yet! I can’t wait to, it looks so good 🙂
They’re actually in my in-laws backyard, just a few minutes away, so it’s just as good 😀

18 Regan @ The Professional Palate July 28, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Oh… I haven’t had a clafouti in years. Thanks for the reminder! This looks divine.

On a different note… I love your Tastespotting & Tasteologie badges. Where’d ya get them? I’ve never seen them on the site. Would love to grab ’em 😉

19 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 28, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Thank you! I’m so glad you stopped by!
I actually made those badges myself. If you’d like to use them go ahead and save them or upload them to your own blog and if you wouldn’t mind I would love a small mention somewhere that I made them. Thank you for asking!

20 Regan @ The Professional Palate July 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

They’re great! TS & Tasteologie should buy them from you 😉

Yes. I will definitely give you credit when I add to my site. Thanks!

21 kankana July 29, 2011 at 12:17 am

What can I say Heidi.. even after all these hot and humid you made that so so so gorgeous . i am drooling here .. Love that photo of your baby and love that clafoutis.

22 Charissa July 29, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Awww, so pretty! And your baby is so sweet…I love that photo!

23 Beth July 31, 2011 at 10:04 am

Oh my gosh, what adorable photos! We’ve got a couple of raspberry bushes in my backyard but they never produce enough fruit to do anything more than snack on. Your raspberry clafoutis looks delicious 🙂

24 Grace@ FoodFitnessFreshAir July 31, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I made something similar to this a couple years ago, and it was the one time in my life I got food poisoning! Warning, don’t sample raw batter that’s packed with eggs. Completely my fault. I’ll have to give clafoutis another shot though!

25 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 31, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Oh my goodness, this looks capital G-gorgeous!! I’ve never made a clafoutis before, but it has eggs in it…and fruit…so I’m not sure how that could NOT be delicious!!

I can’t believe that buck stayed still long enough for you to get a pic! I tried chasing down a turkey at my parent’s house a couple of weeks ago to no avail. Darn bird! 😉

26 athena August 1, 2011 at 11:15 am

your daughter is adorable! i’ve been seeing clafoutis EVERYWHERE, it really is a sign that i need to make it. yours looks amazing. i just read an article in jamie magazine that clafouti made with fruit other than black cherries are referred to as flaugnarde 🙂 but i agree, easier to say clafoutis!

27 Gosia August 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Wow, Heidi, what a fantastic post; I can’t get over the picture of your cute, cute daughter, oh, my heart is melting. I’m simply cannot wait until I pick up some berries (would blackberries work?) to test your clafoutis. I’ve made it once, not to great results, so I’m anxious to try your recipe. And thirdly, you live in a paradise…. deer? organic eggs? locally milled flour? Oh, I want all that! 😉 I’ll let you know how the clafoutis turned out. Enjoy the rest of the summer. Gosia
Gosia recently posted..Dahlias, Once More