Nut-Free Garlic Scape Pesto

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on August 3, 2011

Nut Free Garlic Scape PestoI guess I should probably start posting local recipes when something just starts becoming available, not when the season is ending.  Hopefully someone out there other than me has garlic scapes that need using up :D  In any case, at least this recipe will be here for next year.

Before I go any further, I have to warn you, this is potent stuff.  If you love garlic scapes and love garlic then you’ll enjoy this, but I would suggest using it very sparingly.  That being said, it is really good despite the garlicky bite and the sunflower seeds made it almost creamy which was awesome.

Nut Free Garlic Scape Pesto

As you can see in the picture above, I like to fill a mini muffin tin or an ice cube tray with pesto(whether it’s regular basil pesto or this garlic pesto) and then freeze.  Once it’s frozen solid I pop the blocks of pesto out and into a ziploc bag where they can stay in the freezer all winter.  I like to use a silicone pan for easy removal but a metal one will work as well, but you may need to use a knife to get them out so don’t use a pan with a nice finish on it.

Nut Free Garlic Scape Pesto

Nut Free Garlic Scape Pesto

1 Trent August 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love garlic, almost as much as I love bacon!

2 tinytearoom August 3, 2011 at 4:48 pm

that’s an awesome idea to freeze them in a muffin tin. your pesto looks smooth and delicious.

3 Pure2raw Twins August 3, 2011 at 6:42 pm

YUM love sunflower seeds, we use them all the time. One of our favs!

xo
~Lori

4 kristy August 3, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Oooo… I love pesto and yours sounded amazing! Bookmarked it to try out soon. thnaks so much for sharing.
Kristy

5 Adriana August 3, 2011 at 10:44 pm

This is SO perfect. I have a basil plant and I’ve been meaning to make pesto but I never remember to buy pine nuts. Now I don’t have to worry about that! the parmesan in the fridge will finally be put to use! great! looks delicious.

6 Shu Han August 4, 2011 at 1:54 am

I love garlic so this sounds like a dream to me!

7 Nami | Just One Cookbook August 4, 2011 at 2:30 am

Wow I never thought of freezing pesto! I am usually reluctant to make pesto sauce because I don’t use pesto enough, but now that I know you can freeze… I’ll give it a try making it. Your photos are beautiful – very simple and minimal and I love all the clicks.

8 Kate@FudgyGoodness August 4, 2011 at 5:45 am

Wow, this looks pesto-licious! Garlic is wonderful in anything I say. Thanks for sharing!

9 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 4, 2011 at 9:38 am

I do the same thing with my pesto! Love having it on hand in the freezer.

10 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 4, 2011 at 11:54 am

I LOVVVVVE garlic, but I’ve never tried garlic scapes before. Love the idea of freezing the extra pesto! I always “say” I’m going to do that with pesto/tomato sauce/broth but I always forget to do it!

11 Angie@Angiesrecipes August 4, 2011 at 1:06 pm

That’s a brilliant idea! I am going to look out for some garlic scape to make the pesto!

12 Naomi@onefitfoodie August 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm

oh that looks phenomenal!! i love garlic scapes so much flavor!

13 Charis August 5, 2011 at 4:47 am

How fresh and green! :)

14 Marsha @ The Harried Cook August 5, 2011 at 6:37 am

Before I say anything else, let me say I LOVE LOVE LOVE your photographs! They look great… and speaking of great – how yummy does your pesto look?! Great post… Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

15 Barbara @ Barbara Bakes August 5, 2011 at 7:09 am

Great idea to freeze them in little portions to use later. It sounds delicious.

16 Amy @ Gastronome Tart August 5, 2011 at 9:38 am

I like to fill muffin tins with chicken stock. My mom does it with pesto, but I have yet to make a batch I really like. Thanks for sharing! I love garlic, so I know this would be a good one!

17 Charissa August 5, 2011 at 10:40 am

This looks like it would be terrific on toast with some pine nuts sprinkled on top!

18 maggie@maggieandthenuts August 8, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I love, love garlic and pesto so I am so excited to try this. I didn’t know what garlic scapes were so I had to google them. (blush) I didn’t grow my own garlic this year. I did last year and thought they were perennial, so I didn’t plant any, didn’t get any. Do you know where I could find scapes if I didn’t grow myself? I would love to try this recipe. Thanks!

19 Heidi @ Food Doodles August 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Don’t worry, I had no idea what they were either before I saw them at the market. I’ve never seen them at the grocery store so your best bet is to look at a local farmers market or to ask anyone you know that grows garlic if you can have some.

20 maggie@maggieandthenuts August 9, 2011 at 5:38 am

Thanks! I was thinking I’d start looking at the farmer’s market.

21 Pat April 28, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I am so excited to try this recipe. I have grown garlic for the first time in my garden and am wondering if you could provide another measurement for the amount of scapes. I am not sure when to harvest these wee gems. I have seen them grow about 4 feet high and I am assuming you don’t mean 10 – 12 of these size scapes. Please give me an amount I can measure. thanks so very much.
Sincerely,
Pat D

22 Heidi @ Food Doodles May 19, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Hi Pat, sorry it took me so long to write back! The scapes I use are only about 12″ long and are not much bigger than 1/4″ in diameter. They should be harvested fairly early, but I’m not sure exactly when. Maybe this site can help you.