Vegetarian Stew with Dumplings

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on January 10, 2012

Sometimes you just need some comfort food, right?  I actually don’t remember having dumplings like this much as a kid, but it still screams comfort food to me.  To me, poultry seasoning is such a comforting flavor, and with soft, fluffy dumplings over top, that’s just perfect 😀  You could, of course, substitute 2 cups of chopped chicken for the chickpeas and use chicken stock if you’d like.  On the rare occasion that I roast a chicken all the leftovers get chopped up and frozen into 2 cup portions ready to be thrown into something like this.

I spent some time trying to write a short paragraph here on how I’m not vegetarian, but eat mostly vegetarian or vegan meals but then as I rambled on and on, I realized it would be better on my About page, so if you’d like to have a look and read about my food philosophy, feel free to check out my updated About page 🙂

Since I feel like I’ve rambled enough for one day I’m going to keep this post short and sweet.  I wish I could say something about this being perfect on a cold and snowy day, but sadly, we have no snow.  Like zero.  Yes, I live in Canada and have no snow and have only had snow for a week or two this year.  How sad is that?  Either way, even if it wasn’t winter time this would be delicious and comforting, so give it a try 😀

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I have never made dumplings and every time I see a recipe for it I get so annoyed for never having made them! I need to fix that asap!
I’ve tried to write out my food philosophy which is very similar to yours many times in posts only to end up deleting paragraph upon paragraph of rambling so I know exactly what you mean. It’s hard to be so specific and succinct in explaining it!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Sweet potato salsa

2 Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum January 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Those dumplings look darn good. Which is saying a lot, since dumplings aren’t usually all that attractive. Great post!

3 Miranda @ Living One Bite at a Time January 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Wow, those dumplings look awesome! I’ve always wanted to make them but haven’t been able to find a recipe that looks good enough. Can’t wait to try this one, though! I especially love that it’s vegetarian… I haven’t seen that before.
Miranda @ Living One Bite at a Time recently posted..I Love Rowing!

4 Kathryn January 11, 2012 at 2:25 am

This is a great way to get a load of veggies into you, it looks really tasty!
Kathryn recently posted..treacle spice cake

5 Nicole, RD January 11, 2012 at 5:53 am

This looks like the ultimate vegetarian comfort food! YUM!
Nicole, RD recently posted..Low-Fat Granola Bars with Bananas, Cranberries & Pecans

6 Alexis @ There She Goes January 11, 2012 at 7:22 am

nice! i love hearty VEGGIE stews like this 🙂
Alexis @ There She Goes recently posted..Arugula Salad with Bosc Pear and Golden Raisins

7 Lan January 11, 2012 at 7:32 am

hello! like you, i am not a vegetarian but i have been playing around with more veggies & vegan ingredients lately. i don’t think i’ll ever give up meat, but being able to embrace vegetarian and vegan meals is a great thing. this stew looks perfect, despite the lack of snow on the ground. and i’m not complaining, it’s cold enough for something warm & hearty like this.

8 Angie@Angie's Recipesa January 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I love the soup! Looks comforting and tasty indeed!
Angie@Angie’s Recipesa recently posted..Wholegrain Spelt Apple and Marzipan Cake

9 Katie {Epicurean Mom Blog} January 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Mmmmm! Sounds delish! After the holidays I’ve been trying to eat more vegetarian dishes! This is a perfect dish to try! 🙂

10 Barb @ WishfulChef January 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Heidi, this sounds so good 🙂 I will definitely be making this on a cold snowy day here in NYC… Soon I hope!

11 Sarah January 12, 2012 at 7:23 am

I’m not vegetarian either but I eat a lot of vegetable based meals. I’ll certainly be giving this a go – it’s cold here in London (no snow here either!) so this would be ideal comfort food!
Sarah recently posted..Review: Ottolenghi, Islington

12 brandi January 12, 2012 at 8:08 am

i LOVE dumplings! this looks awesome 🙂

13 Nora @ Natural noshing January 12, 2012 at 8:39 am

This sounds and looks SO good and comforting – this would be the perfect meal on these cold winter nights, I’ll just have to de-glutenize it a tad! 🙂
Nora @ Natural noshing recently posted..Vegan Banana Cornmeal Cake

14 Heather January 12, 2012 at 10:52 am

As I type this we are enduring our first major storm in New England for the New Year- and this stew is absolutely perfect for a day like today; stick to your ribs good!
Heather recently posted..cherry pecan maple granola

15 erin January 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Yum! That looks like delicious comfort food!
erin recently posted..Snow

16 Beth January 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

This looks delicious! I don’t have all the ingredients on hand, but I have enough veggies that I might try to make a version of this for dinner tonight. I’m freezing cold today, and that always has me craving warm comfort food. I’m so glad I found your blog (through foodgawker). Your photography is lovely and your recipes are the type of food I love to cook and eat.
Beth recently posted..Wheat Berry, Lentil and Butternut Squash Salad with Balsamic Reduction

17 TeenyLittleSuperChef January 12, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Yum yum, this sounds so tasty! I like the addition of whole wheat dumplings to a typical vegetable soup. It takes them to a whole ‘nother level. This seems like the perfect soup for the crappy weather we’ve been having lately. Rain and cold definitely calls for a bowl of warm and hearty soup. Thanks for the great recipe!

18 Beth January 12, 2012 at 6:05 pm

This stew was amazing! I always am intrigued by vegetarian recipes and always want to try them. However, I actually ended up using a rotisserie chicken plus the chick peas, and it turned out to be quite delicious. It has a lot of flavor! Such a great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

19 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for leaving a comment 😀

20 beti January 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm

the stew looks amazing! those dumplings are really making me hungry
beti recently posted..Cherry Danish

21 Ruth January 20, 2012 at 4:53 am

That looks tasty!
I like to put spinach in my dumplings not only do they taste great do the green dumplings look fun too!
Ruth recently posted..Valentines Day Gift Ideas

22 Erin January 20, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I made this tonight and my husband said to add it to his “favorites” list! (Quite a big compliment from him!) I made one mistake by using beef seasoning instead of poultry seasoning and not reducing the salt. Still, it was delicious, healthy and easy. Thanks for a great recipe! I LOVE your website!
Erin recently posted..High Value Toy Coupons

23 Kristy Kelley September 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm

These look yummy, however, I’m wondering if I could make these gluten free with brown rice flower or buckwheat flour maybe. Do you think they would come out the same? Any thoughts? I guess I could make them as-is for the rest of my family but I would love to be able to make a version that I could eat! 🙂

— Kristy @ Wine Logic

24 Heidi @ Food Doodles October 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I really don’t know. I’m assuming if they were gluten free they wouldn’t hold together at all. Sorry I can be of any more help!

25 Dana October 11, 2012 at 6:23 am

Definitely trying this recipe (probably tonight). So glad I stumbled across your website (while googling a vegetarian peas and dumplings recipe). Myself, I’m vegetarian, but my husband is not, so your recipes really appeal to me. I am always trying to find hearty, healthy foods that he will enjoy (without meat). Your RSS feed is the first one I have now subscribed to on my smartphone. 🙂

{ 1 trackback }