Chocolate No-Bake Energy Bites

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on January 12, 2012

I was going to save these for a rainy day… Well, it’s not rainy, but these have been on my mind since I made them(and you know, since we devoured them all).  My kids regularly go into the fridge for whatever they want and when these were in there, I had to hide them to save a few for myself 😀  These are inspired by my regular No-Bake Energy Bites which we still make and enjoy on a regular basis with all different kinds of add-ins.  I was just feeling like something a little different so I slightly adapted my original recipe to make a chocolate version.  The ones in the picture turned out slightly drier than I would like so I changed the recipe to hopefully fix that.  If yours are much too dry, consider mixing in an extra tbsp of nut butter and/or honey.

For the longest time I made fruit and nut bites like my Chocolate Fig Truffles – don’t judge, they were from my second week of blogging!  I almost didn’t want to link it, haha.  Then we got sick of those kinds of treats and have been making these, but I’m ready to go back to the fruit and nuts idea, I remember them being more filling, and more naturally sweet, which I enjoy.  If you make things like those or like Larabars, what’s your favorite combo?  I’d love to try out some new ideas 😀

Don’t forget, these would make awesome school snacks, but some schools don’t allow peanut butter, or even any nut butters at all.  You can try using sunflower butter if you enjoy it – or try making your own by toasting sunflower seeds and processing them in a food processor till they’re the consistency of peanut butter.  It is a little bitter, but if you think you might enjoy it, give it a try – plus it’ll be good mixed with honey and cocoa like in these :)

These were inspired by this recipe, but adapted from my own recipe.

1 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes January 12, 2012 at 2:52 pm

YUM! They look awesome, I love how you used rice syrup. I’ve still never tried that before. Love treats like these, can’t wait to try this one out!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Vanilla Caramel Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting

2 Nami | Just One Cookbook January 12, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Teehee! You sound like me! I’d hide a lot of snacks and sweets for myself because I’m so greedy! Imagine the day I make these… before kids come home from school 2/3 will be gone for sure (in my tummy). Looking so good! How do you control the portion??? It’s my life mystery… I’m so weak for food I think. Quite embarrassing I can’t stop myself eating! Keeping this recipe for the future. I know this one will be very delicious!
Nami | Just One Cookbook recently posted..Asian Pork Chop (Ginger Soy Sauce)

3 Nora @ Natural noshing January 12, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I love these little balls of energy! I’ve made variations of a similar recipe – i adore no bake treats and snacks – easy, delicious and quick!
With chocolate and nut butter, you know these have got to be delicious! :)
Nora @ Natural noshing recently posted..Vegan Banana Cornmeal Cake

4 Pure2raw twins January 12, 2012 at 4:56 pm

love little bite size balls to snack on :) and these look great! love making things like this and making them a little different each time!
Pure2raw twins recently organic skin care products

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I love snacks like this for the afternoon *witching* hour of 3-4pm. I’m notorious for needing tea + chocolate then so having something healthy that fits the bill is always a plus!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Orange pound cake

6 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 13, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Me too! And since these can be packed with good things I don’t feel too bad having one or two :)

7 Jamie Walker January 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Those look so easy and delicious!! YUM….

I wish I had seen these earlier tonight, I was craving something sweet.

8 Alexis @ There She Goes January 13, 2012 at 5:45 am

perfect snack! love the coconut addition
Alexis @ There She Goes recently posted..Vegan Sugar Cookie Dough Milkshake

9 Erin @ Texanerin Baking January 13, 2012 at 6:42 am

I know the fruit and nut ones are really popular, but I just can’t get into it. I have brown rice syrup sitting around and nothing to do with it so this recipe sounds excellent. :)
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars

10 Mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry January 13, 2012 at 8:44 am

Well I’m not sure about making these for my 4.5 year old because he definitely doesn’t need MORE energy! :) But I love stuff like this – it’s so much better for him than any store bought, preservative & refined flour and sugar laden cookies or snacks! I’m going to make these today and will report back on how he likes them! I’ll have to hide them from my husband or my son will never get to try them! Thanks for this recipe Heidi!
Mellissa @ ibreatheimhungry recently posted..Spinach & Artichoke Dip Soup

11 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 13, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I know exactly what you mean! It sounds like our boys are really close in age and have very similar energy levels, haha 😀 Hope you enjoy them!

12 Erin @ Texanerin Baking January 13, 2012 at 9:59 am

I didn’t make it very long. I just made them. My first healthy truffles!

I used maple cinnamon almond butter, honey, oat bran and chocolate. At first I thought it’d never work because it was too dry, but it definitely worked. Thanks for the recipe! I’ll make these from now on when I need something sweet but don’t feel like turning on the oven. :)

13 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 13, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Oooh, those sound so good! I’m so glad you like them 😀 They’re definitely a quick but healthy treat.

14 Amy @ Gastronome Tart January 13, 2012 at 10:17 am

These look absolutely delicious! Love that you can add honey to them as I obviously have a lot of them :) I will be making these sometime and soon!
Amy @ Gastronome Tart recently posted..Detox Green Smoothie

15 Jeralyn January 13, 2012 at 11:24 am

You had me at “NO BAKE”
Jeralyn recently posted..Hurry You Got 30 Minutes

16 Sonia The Healthy Foodie January 13, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Oh, they look so goooood! That’s the kind of thing that I can’t really keep in the fridge because I seem to have a hard time controlling myself and just have to have one every time I open up the door!

Still, I am very tempted. It has been a while since I’ve had something like that. And they do look very good, so very, very good… *wipes drool from corner of her lips*
Sonia The Healthy Foodie recently posted..Cherry Almond Clafoutis with faux “Crème Anglaise”

17 Terris@ Free Eats January 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm

These look like such a great treat to whip up with my kids. We do a lot of hiking and backpacking and these would be a nice trail snack! Lovely pics too!

18 tinytearoom January 14, 2012 at 2:52 am

they look scrumptious. I love that they do not need to be cooked. yum!
tinytearoom recently posted..Tropical Meringue Nests with Mango and Coconut

19 Kristin January 14, 2012 at 3:58 am

Hi Heidi,
I posted a similar recipe on my blog, mamacino, this week too! I am also really keen on healthy cooking for kids…I look forward to reading more of your posts.

20 Krystie January 14, 2012 at 4:37 am

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing :)
Krystie recently posted..The Beauty of a Great Nap

21 Beth January 14, 2012 at 8:28 am

I could get down with these, but I’m not sure I could stop eating after just one.

22 Kaydee January 14, 2012 at 10:04 am

These look so wonderful! I’ve been looking for ways to use cocoa powder without cooking it to preserve the nutrients. Thanks!

23 Leah January 14, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I must tell you… A friend shared your Energy Bites recipe on FB this past summer, I was in my 1st trimester of pregnancy–not feeling too hot but needed little bites throughout the day and needed extra protein too–so I made a batch and fell in love. My kids loved them too, so I started making them for snacks and school lunches. My mom was over one day and I gave one to her and there has been a snowball effect–she has shared that recipe with everyone she knows! She’s in fact visiting my pregnant sister in law this weekend and just sent me a text asking for the recipe so I came here to look it up once again…and now I see the modification for a Chocolate version…YUM! I will add this to my list of Must-Prepare-Food-Now-Because-I-May-Never-Cook-Again-Once-This-Baby-Arrives snacks and meals to work on this week, thanks!
Leah recently posted..Random Thoughts at 34 Weeks

24 Anna @ hiddenponies January 14, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Looks delicious! And your second week of blogging sure looks a lot better than my second week, those look good too :)
Anna @ hiddenponies recently posted..Saturday Sweets: Chocolate Pretzel Bark

25 Eat good 4 life January 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Awesome….I just got done making my energy bars which are very similar to this and I always have to double the recipe a super power food!!
Eat good 4 life recently posted..Cajun Chicken Jambalaya
Eat good 4 life recently posted..Cajun Chicken Jambalaya

26 Richa@HobbyandMore January 14, 2012 at 6:02 pm

love these energy bites.. i’ve been digging nut butter and coconut combinations lately.. those chocolate fig truffles look great too!
Richa@HobbyandMore recently posted..Pink Coconut Balls with Beet and Orange. Vegan glutenfree

27 chinmayie @ love food eat January 14, 2012 at 7:48 pm

These look so good! Perfect for my sweet tooth :)

28 Kathy January 15, 2012 at 2:55 am

I love making no-bake snacks like these!
But I usually hesitate to make them, as I eat about 3/4 of the whole batch in a night…
oops. Haha ^^
Kathy recently posted..Saturday, January 14, 2012

29 Melissa January 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Hi there, Melissa here from Food Bloggers of Canada. Just popping by to check out your blog and to let you know we’ve added you to our Membership Directory. Welcome aboard!

30 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thank you! :)

31 vianney January 16, 2012 at 1:08 am

I love these tiny bites. I am always looking for new treats for the kiddos, thanks!!
vianney recently posted..Avocado Dulce de Leche Muffins

32 Kim Bee January 16, 2012 at 11:42 am

New follower, found you through food bloggers of Canada. Great to meet you. This recipe looks wicked good. I’d probably want to eat them all before anyone got home. Then hide all the evidence of any baking having happened.
Kim Bee recently posted..Butter Pecan Ice Cream for Ice Cream Sunday

33 Jeanette January 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm

What a terrific healthy snack for adults and kids alike, super versatile with the add-ins!
Jeanette recently posted..Easy Crockpot Lentil Chili Recipe

34 Deepa January 16, 2012 at 4:21 pm

looks amazing!!!! I am going to try this out!

35 Betsy January 16, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I just made these with wheat germ and cranberries, and I ate a significant amount before the mix even got into the fridge to cool. It’s so tasty!

36 Catherine @ The Spring January 17, 2012 at 3:56 am

I’ve been looking for a post-gym pick-me-up and I think there are it! Looking forward to making a batch (and I know they won’t last long at my house either!)

it’s such a pleasure to *meet* your blog!

Catherine @ The Spring

37 Michelle January 17, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I need to try these! Thanks for the great recipe!
Michelle recently posted..Quinoa Burger with Pickled Onions

38 Joanne January 18, 2012 at 6:12 am

I love having a fun snack to look forward to in the middle of my workday and i think these are gonna have to be it! What fun bite-sized treats!

39 The Café Sucré Farine January 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

Wow, these sound amazing – what a great snack to take on a hike! We are actually planning a ski trip and I think I’ll make a batch of these for energy breaks! Thanks!
The Café Sucré Farine recently posted..Roasted Chicken & Wild Rice Soup w/ Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme

40 Sarah Klass January 19, 2012 at 1:27 am

I just stumbled upon your blog after Googling for apricot bites and finding your recipe (plus SO much more) and I’m so glad I did!

Just wondering if you think there would be a suitable substitute for the nut butter. My kids’ school is nut free due to allergies and I’d love to pop some of these little lovelies into their lunch boxes, but can’t send them with anything containing nut products.
Sarah Klass recently posted..2/52 – Open

41 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

Welcome! I’m so glad you found me 😀 You can use sunflower seed butter, you might be able to find it in the peanut butter section at your grocery store, or maybe a health food or specialty store. If not you can make your own using unsalted roasted sunflower seeds ground in a food processor if you have one.

42 Sarah Klass January 20, 2012 at 5:51 am

Fantastic, thanks for the advice! I will track down some unsalted roasted sunflower seeds and whiz them up in my Thermomix (food processor on steroids ;-))
Sarah Klass recently posted..2/52 – Open

43 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 22, 2012 at 12:02 am

These bite size treats sound perfect, definitely something I’d pull outta the fridge to munch on. Thanks for sharing!
Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather recently posted..and so it begins…

44 Kathie January 29, 2012 at 5:29 pm

So I just made these little balls of goodness (with a few alterations as I didn’t have coconut or dried cherries/fruit, I thought I had them but, oh well). They are absolutely delicious! And just what I was craving. I think I will be making these a staple for the next trimester or two. :)

45 Kathie January 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Oh yeah, I replaced the coconut with a mix of wheat germ and ground flax seed and the dried fruit with rice krispies. Very yummy.

46 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 30, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Oooh, that sounds good! I’m so glad you enjoyed them 😀

47 Kim February 2, 2012 at 10:44 am

I think I am going to have fun playing around with this recipe. Perfect timing too since I am back on a diet cleanup and really need healthy sweets! Thank You!

48 september September 30, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Made these and they tasted WONDERFUL…Thank u for another great recipe :)

49 Amanda January 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I made these today and they were great! Thanks for sharing!
Do you happen to know how many calories are “about” in each ball?
Thanks! :)

50 Missy Lonce February 2, 2013 at 8:54 am

Can steel cut oats be used in place of rolled oats?

51 LA February 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I make these over and over again ! Today, with currants and peanut butter chips. Love them. Thanks again for a great recipe :)
LA recently posted..PB & B Cheesecake

52 Kerry September 24, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Thank you! These are the best healthy treat I’ve made! I also like the way you include substitution options in the recipe!

{ 3 trackbacks }