Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on April 30, 2012

Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

First off (and before I forget – because it seems like that’s all my brain does now), I just want to thank you all for your kind comments and messages about our little addition to the family.  Thank you SO much!  Besides all the kids and I coming down with a cold and running to what seems like a million appointments and errands in the last week we’ve finally settled into as much of a routine as a newborn can so you’ll be seeing a little more of me Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

On to the food!  I just realized that this is the last day I could post these!  OK, not really.  But April is soft pretzel month and since I hardly ever do things on time, like posts for specific holidays or other occasions, I thought I should really jump on this.  Yes, on the last day of the month.  I never said I wasn’t a procrastinator Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

So, soft pretzels are pretty awesome.  They are a ton of fun to make with the kids.  They certainly don’t need to be perfectly shaped, as evidenced by my pretzels.  And of course they’re super fun to eat with the kids, and what kid doesn’t like dipping?  We like to dip ours in hummus, but no matter what you dip them in, they’re so good.  Just make sure you have the right kind of coarse salt.  Which we actually didn’t, but they turned out good anyways even if they could have used the salt on top.

Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

They do last for a few days just on the counter in a sealed bag or container.  I’m sure they could probably be frozen too, although I haven’t tried.  Better yet, boil them, then freeze.  And then pull them out and bake them until perfectly golden.  I haven’t tried that(although right now I’m wishing I had some ready to go in the freezer) but I’m sure it would work well since I’ve done that with bagels before.

Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

Whole Wheat Soft Pretzels

1 Blog is the New Black April 30, 2012 at 5:13 pm

THese look fantastic!

2 Eat Good 4 Life April 30, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Great idea about dipping the pretzels in hummus, which I actually love myself. I haven’t made hummus, or pretzels in a long time. Yours looks really good. I remember making mine a while back and I know I did not make them 100% whole wheat. I am glad yours are….
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Mixed berry and granola parfait

3 surlykitchen April 30, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Mr.Surly was just saying how good a big, soft pretzel would be. i eat mine with mustard; never thought to use hummus, love the idea. these look so yummy
surlykitchen recently posted..Guest Post: Crab Cakes

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen April 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I swear the fact that I keep seeing pretzel posts is like a secret sign that I have to make them. My husband is a HUGE soft pretzel lover and I really have no good excuse as to why I haven’t made them yet. Love that yours are done with whole wheat. That makes me feel better about the carb binge ;)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Bulgar wheat salad with orange dijon dressing

5 Kathryn May 1, 2012 at 2:42 am

These look really delicious and I love the idea of dipping them in hummus! Hope you and the family feel better soon.
Kathryn recently posted..honey tea loaf & foodie pen pals

6 Heather May 1, 2012 at 11:35 am

Has anybody told you how incredible you are= you must have inherited the super mom gene- I alone wihtout little ones and a newborn can hardly get out of my own way to post – you make it all look so easy and fun!
Heather recently posted..pineapple express cupcakes

7 Heidi @ Food Doodles May 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Aww, thank you! But to be honest, most days lately my only goal is just surviving the day, haha!

8 chinmayie @ love food eat May 2, 2012 at 2:06 am

These look great!
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Mango Granola Bars (Vegan)

9 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 2, 2012 at 10:59 am

What a fantastic take on soft pretzels these are, Heidi. The whole wheat factor would make me feel a little less guilty about devouring the whole thing, ha! Thanks for sharing.

10 Erin @ Texanerin Baking May 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm

You’re going to appointments and running errands? And taking care of the kids? Wow. That’s impressive. I don’t know anything about babies or children but the parents I’ve seen with just one baby stay at home all day and definitely don’t go to appointments or run errands. Wow. You’re awesome. I hope I have that much energy one day. :)

I LOVE that these are 100% whole grain! I made pretzel bites stuffed with cheese and ham last week and thought that they would be the best thing ever…. but no. The 100% whole grain thing wasn’t working with my pretzels. I thought I’d have to try them again with maybe 1/3 white flour but now that I see these, I’m inspired to try again!
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Maple Cinnamon Candied Almonds

11 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} May 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm

i love your whole wheat twist! And I love hummus. Nothing beats home-made.
Now where’s my pretzel?
Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} recently posted..Chocolate Yogurt Cake

12 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} May 3, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Gosh, I don’t know why I have never thought about whole wheat pretzels before! My kids would love making these! Thanks for the inspiration!
Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} recently posted..Granola Stuffed Strawberries

13 Nicole, RD May 4, 2012 at 5:38 am

Love’em! I’ve made pretzels..but not whole wheat :( These look super!
Nicole, RD recently posted..S’mores Brownies

14 Lindsay May 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

These look delicious, and I can’t believe you made and posted these so soon after having a baby! I’m so impressed! I have just found your blog and love it. I always need more healthy recipes. If you get a chance I have also recently started a blog. http://www.chocolateonmymouse.com check it out if you get a chance. Thanks

15 brighteyedbaker May 5, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I’ve made soft pretzels once before (so good!) but not with whole wheat. I’ll have to try that sometime. I’m horrible at getting posts out on time too! At least I’m not the only one :)

16 Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious May 6, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Yum, I love soft pretzels! :) I have yet to try making them from whole wheat flour. Yours look delicious. Btw, I only have ONE daughter, and I can barely keep up with her on the weekends! I don’t know how our nanny does it with her all day long ;-)
Yudith @ Blissfully Delicious recently posted..Orecchiette with Broccolette, Sun-Dried Tomatoes, and Red Beans