Chocolate Mint Shake – Vegan and No Sugar Added!

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on May 31, 2012

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

Vegan shakes are the greatest thing ever.  I’m not even exaggerating.  A frozen banana and enough almond milk to make a shake-like consistency.  Try it.

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

Of course, I usually add a big spoon of unsweetened cocoa and a small splash of vanilla but this time I tried something a little different and used up the mint that I ripped out of my garden and it was amazing.

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

On the garden theme though, I ripped out a ton of mint last week.  I knew I was supposed to plant my mint in a container, so I put it in a large container that sits, raised up above the surrounding ground in the middle of my herb garden last year.  Well, the mint jumped out into my herb garden anyways and took over half of it.  I can’t complain though, I love mint!

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

I actually used two kind for this shake, peppermint and chocolate mint.  If you don’t garden or haven’t seen it, chocolate mint is actually an herb.  And it is awesome!

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

So back to shakes.  Well, actually, I guess this is just a smoothie but I’ll be honest, I’d take this smoothie over a milkshake any day. It’s light, refreshing, but still sweet and creamy and thick like a milkshake should be.  Plus, you don’t get that weighed down feeling, or the sugar high(and low!) or the upset tummy from too much dairy.  How is that not a win?

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

I apologize for all the pictures.  Or maybe I shouldn’t.  I don’t really know.  I realized that I’ve been letting my photography slide lately so I’ve been taking more time with it.  I don’t know if it’s showing yet, except for in the amount of pictures, haha.

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

One last important note, I’ve been working on a survey and I really want your opinions on how to improve Food Doodles.  I wont bug you too much to fill out the survey, I’ll just mention it a few times.  I don’t want to drive you guys crazy but I would appreciate it so much if you would fill it out.  It’s very short and will only take a few minutes, it’s 100% anonymous and I want you to tell me what you do or don’t like about Food Doodles(even if your a new reader!).  I want to know what kind of food you want to see more of, less of, what bothers you, what you enjoy or just if you want me to stop talking so much :)  There’s even a box for specific recipe requests, so any recipe you want to see with a Food Doodles spin on it fill that question out, at least!  Please help me out!

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

On that note, I’ll stop talking now Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

Chocolate Mint Shake   Vegan and No Sugar Added!

Oh, and don’t forget to enter the Coconut Oil Giveaway!

1 Erin @ Texanerin Baking May 31, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I like your pictures! And the more pictures, the better.

I knew by the title that this would have a banana in it. I need to see if there is a banana desenstization program. :) SO, I would like to see less banana recipes because it’s kind of torture to see all of these yummy recipes that I can’t have. Obviously I’m not serious and I’ll go fill out the real survey now. :)
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Grain Raspberry Crumble

2 Cara May 31, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Anything mint-chocolate is something I totally adore :) I would love one of these shakes right now!
Cara recently posted..My Thoughts on “This Gluten Thing” For Celiac Awareness Month

3 Erin May 31, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Um…trade you a green smoothie for what you made! YUM! And I love chocolate mint – reminds me of Andes mints candies. So worth the find!
Erin recently posted..The Green Smoothie

4 Curlsz May 31, 2012 at 8:58 pm

This is how I make mine But I usually add a little coconut cultured milk, great nutrients and makes it thick! Also PB2 is a good addition

5 Leigh May 31, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I would say that your picture taking is in no way suffering! Every photo is fantastic! And please put one of these on my counter! Thank you!

6 Kathryn June 1, 2012 at 1:56 am

Such pretty pictures, this shake looks so inviting!
Kathryn recently posted..lemon curd, yoghurt and granola & foodie pen pals

7 Joanne June 1, 2012 at 6:40 am

I’m definitely going to have to try to find some chocolate mint at my farmer’s market this weekend…these shakes look too good not to make ASAP!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies

8 Katie June 2, 2012 at 7:52 am

This looks like an awesome snack! I’m a total chocolate shake fan, but they do tend to give stomachaches. I love this alternative.
Katie recently posted..Spicy Orange and Avocado Quinoa

9 em June 2, 2012 at 1:10 pm

sounds wonderful. i make banana smoothies all the time, but the addition of cocoa powder and mint is genius.
em recently posted..good people

10 Vicky (Sweet and Healthy Living) June 2, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Yum, this looks so good! I love those straws! They look like candy canes… so cute!
Vicky (Sweet and Healthy Living) recently posted..Mini Cookies

11 Jen@TheFitHousewife June 2, 2012 at 5:31 pm

That looks so good. Can’t go wrong with chocolate and mint! I started growing mint this year! I can’t wait to use it :)

12 cakewhiz June 2, 2012 at 6:25 pm

This looks sooooo refreshing! i am a major chocoholic and i can’t wait to make this! hehe

13 The Café Sucré Farine June 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

You should show a lot of pictures! They’re beautiful and this drink sounds perfect for summer and very light and delicious, can’t wait to try it!
The Café Sucré Farine recently posted..A Delicious Recipe from a Legendary London Restaurant – Chilled Berries w/ White Hot Chocolate Sauce

14 ATasteOfMadness June 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm

The pictures are gorgeous! It’s still cold here, but when the weather gets warmer, I know what I’ll be making!
ATasteOfMadness recently posted..Eggless Lemon Cranberry Scones

15 CarrotTopYodeller June 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I love chocolate with mint!!
And all of the photos are beautiful :)
CarrotTopYodeller recently posted..Black Bean Balsamic Hummus

16 Eat Good 4 Life June 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

OMG I love the fact that you incorporated fresh mint to this. I love fresh mint on anything :-) I do too through it on smoothies sometimes but now that I have a mint jungle on my back yard I think I will use it even more. I have been incorporating it in salads as well which is awesome so I suggest that for you :-)

The more pictures the better!! Don’t you think? I do too need to improve. I just wish there was more time in the day. You have 4 kids so I won’t complaint!! Love this shake.
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Whole grain mint and dark chocolate chip cookie pie

17 Richa@HobbyandMore June 8, 2012 at 4:33 pm

i love the chocolate mint combination too! its probably going to get warm here soon so i can start making some minty smoothies!
Richa@HobbyandMore recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookies. Whole grain, Vegan

18 Radhika Sarohia September 7, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Looks delicious, I’d make it right now except I’ve run out of bananas

19 Tracey @ Dont Mess with Mama March 4, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I love this recipe! I’m working on a St. Patrick’s Day blog post featuring eco/green foods. I’d love to feature this shake. Do I have your permission to use your photo and link to this post – giving full credit to you, of course.
Tracey @ Dont Mess with Mama recently posted..5 Eco-Friendly Family Vacations in Latin America – Perfect for Spring Break

20 Heidi @ Food Doodles March 12, 2013 at 3:40 pm

So sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner! If you haven’t posted it already, go right ahead!

21 Tracey @ Dont Mess with Mama March 12, 2013 at 11:31 pm
22 Patti May 4, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Recipe looks yummy! Can’t wait to try it!