Raw Vegan Chocolate Cranberry Energy Bars

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on June 8, 2012

I know I keep saying it, but quick snacks are always needed around here!  For a couple days this week we actually ran out and let me tell you, it wasn’t pleasant.  I keep telling myself I can’t run out of quick snacks like these but I never learn.

We run out.

I get busy.

Kids get hungry in between meals and then cranky.

And then somehow, all the bananas go missing.  Really?  4 bunches of bananas between the 4 of us and they couldn’t even last us all week?  Fresh fruit is something the kids always know they can have in our house(this week we splurged on strawberries as you can see!), and it’s always easily accessible so they can get it themselves.  But, to save the fresh fruit supply so it lasts all week I make things like these.  But apparently I need to make more.

After I post this I’m going to go into the kitchen and mix things up a little and make some different kinds of bars because there is really no way we’ll survive the weekend without some quick snacks.  And by we, I don’t necessarily mean the kids because when the baby is crying and I’m ready to gnaw off an arm these are the first things I grab.  And thankfully I don’t have to feel guilty about them at all.

I’m pretty sure I don’t have to say this by now, but these travel well.  They last a long time in a sealed container on the counter, but they last even longer in the fridge if you’re worried about them.  You can even stick them in the freezer for a very chewy cold treat although I think I prefer them at room temperature and they’re much easier for my 2 year old to eat that way too.  If you don’t want bars you can take a large spoonful of “dough” and roll them into little 2-bite sized balls.

For anyone with nut allergies, you can sub sunflower seeds, pepitas, coconut, a little more flax seed(I would not recommend using all flax seed!) and maybe some other things. Would you be interested in some nut-free “Larabar” type bars?  I may just go into the kitchen to work on that 🙂

Again with the pictures, I know, I know.  Keep scrolling!  I can’t help it, it’s so interesting to me to see how many things you can change with the same set up and the same light.

Even the difference that just turning the food around a little makes.  Can you see the difference in the light and the amount of detail in the bar on top in the picture above and below?

1 Michelle@Peachy Palate June 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

These look incredible!!! Have to make them over the weekend!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A bowl full of beans

2 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm

These look great! I have been experimenting with nut-free bars because I can’t have nuts or peanuts right now. 🙁 I’d be interested to see what you come up with!
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..5 months

3 em June 8, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I’ve been making mock larabars lately, but these look great. i like the idea of dates in the bars…and chocolate!
em recently posted..gluten freeeeeeee

4 chinmayie @ love food eat June 9, 2012 at 6:32 am

I know what you mean about snacks! I can’t manage without snack either. We always get hungry between meals. What I like about bars like these is that they can also double up as desserts 😉
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Smoky Chipotle Chickpea Pasta Soup

5 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies June 9, 2012 at 9:26 am

Oh yum! I’ve been in desperate need of snacks lately too and it’s funny because when I can’t find anything, my response is usually, “Eh, I’ll have a banana.” 🙂 But these look much, much better than a banana!
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..What I Ate This Week | Finally! A Good Pad Thai Recipe + Blog Wonkiness Update

6 Jane June 10, 2012 at 9:46 am

Love your pictures! These look so good and chocolatey!
Jane recently posted..How my garden grows in not so many words

7 Heather June 10, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love these in bar form, they look so good and healthy! Please don’t apologize for the photos, I LOVE looking through at your favorite shots – it is fun to see the different styling and lighting 🙂
Heather recently posted..cinnamon basil strawberry shortcakes

8 Lasuch w kuchni June 21, 2012 at 4:31 am

I am so making these. They must be soooooo gooood 🙂
Lasuch w kuchni recently posted..Daj się wzmocnić koktajlem z jagodami goji

9 La Vida Loca November 8, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Thanks for the recipe. I made and turned out yummy

10 Elisa January 1, 2013 at 10:39 pm

hey i love this idea but what if someone doesn’t like chocolate? or only eat choc n peanut butter? got any ideas for me?

11 Lydia Grace May 31, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I just made these, they’re in the fridge now ready to set. I tried a little bit already and I love them! I’m always on the lookout for healthy yet yummy snacks and these ones hit the spot!
We don’t have Medjool dates in NZ so I just used normal dates and soaked them for half an hour first, worked perfectly!
Lydia Grace recently posted..Mr & Mrs Potato Head Cake Toppers

12 Ketrena March 1, 2017 at 7:20 pm

These look amazing. Unfortunately flax and I aren’t friends. Do you have a suggested substitute?

P.S. I’m just baking up the Cosmic Cookies for the second time! So blissed out over these. One of my fave tea shops sells them and they are amazing. Your recipe as good as if not better! Yay Cosmic Cookies for dayzzzz 🙂

{ 1 trackback }