Strawberry Banana Soft Serve with Homemade Magic Shell

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 16, 2012

Let’s not overcomplicated things on a Monday, shall we?

Bananas + strawberries + chocolate = awesome.  This I’m sure we all know.

Make the bananas and strawberries frozen.   And the chocolate a dark chocolate magic shell.  I think that makes it exponentially more awesome.  And it’s so simple you’ll run to the kitchen to try it out, asap.  Or at least I hope 🙂

Really, make yourself some banana soft serve.  Any kind will do but I am loving a strawberry version right now.  Pour a molten lake of chocolate over top.  And then realize your bowl is way too full and take pictures as it drips off the edge.

Start again…

Take a little less soft serve.  Lightly drizzle some magic shell over top and wait a few seconds for it to harden.

Crack that chocolate shell(I can’t be the only one that loves that noise… Right?)

And enjoy!

Yes, the one that was way too full was fun to clean up 🙂

You may actually want to start by making the magic shell.  It will stay liquid for a while after you make it so melt it all together first and let it sit while you make your soft serve so that it’s not super hot.  Banana soft serve already goes from awesome soft serve to just a frosty smoothie in about 2.7 seconds so don’t help it out by pouring hot chocolate over it.  Did you know banana soft serve is almost equally as awesome after it’s been in the freezer until it hardens up.  Just leave it on the counter for a couple minutes (it softens up way faster than regular ice cream) and dig in!  But don’t forget the magic shell 😉  Enjoy!

The winner of the Slow Cooker giveaway was Kring, who left the challenge to make time for laughter every day.  Please look for an email from me to get your prize!

1 Erin @ Texanerin Baking July 16, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Gosh darned bananas!@#!$# I bet I’m the internet’s biggest banana hater. It’s sad. You know I’m just jealous that I can’t make stuff like this. 🙂

I love how melty it looks. And no sugar?! Oh my gosh.
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Grain Caprese Ravioli

2 chinmayie @ love food eat July 16, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Love the idea of magic shell!! Super cool…

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 16, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I get the cherry dip magic shell every single time we go out for ice cream. It’s a childhood treat I can’t resist. It’s one of the few things in life I choose to purposely remain naive on what’s actually in it. This is a great at home “real” version 🙂
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Chocolate glazed donut bites

4 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking July 16, 2012 at 10:10 pm

i would have been more than happy to helped with that over filled cup. I always have room in my belly for some delicious sweet treat, especially when chocolate is involved. yum!
Roxana | Roxana’s Home Baking recently posted..Blueberry Banana Tart

5 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 17, 2012 at 5:40 am

The perfect easy summer dessert! Love it.
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..Operation Eat More Vegetables: blueberry vinaigrette

6 The Café Sucré Farine July 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

VERY cool recipe – I’ve always loved that magic chocolate but it you check the label, it’s ridiculously high in fat and calories – this sounds wonderful and decently healthy too, thanks! Oh and the ice cream……… YUM!
The Café Sucré Farine recently posted..Fresh Corn Soup w/ Roasted Corn/Avocado Salsa

7 Jen@TheFitHousewife July 17, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Looks delcious! And so healthy 🙂 I love the versatility of coconut oil! My kids will love this chocolate shell.

8 Theresa July 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Your pictures are beautiful! Love the pink banana softserve, and homemade magic shell, yum!
Theresa recently posted..Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes

9 Saree Rentals July 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

OMG! These look so bright and delicious!

10 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies July 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I’m trying to lose weight, so I’ve been making banana soft serve a LOT lately. Need to try it with strawberries! The chocolate shell is veeeerrrry tempting too. 🙂
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..A Visit to the Charleston Tea Plantation + Iced Tea with Honey Lemon Ginger Ice Cubes

11 Emmeline Evards July 19, 2012 at 9:28 am

This recipe looks amazing! I would love to curl up with a big bowl of this ice cream.

12 Dana @ Minimalist Baker July 19, 2012 at 10:18 am

Lovely photos! And recipe! Bravo, friend : )

13 brighteyedbaker July 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I’m in love with magic shell… it’s hands down my favorite ice cream/frozen yogurt topping. I’m sure this is a really delicious combination, and it’s great because it’s healthy and simple too! By the way, I really like the first photo; the chocolate dripping down the cup is great!
brighteyedbaker recently posted..Confession #76: I’m Dreaming of France… Apricot Financiers

14 Nichole July 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Can a milk substitute (almond, soy or rice) be used instead of milk?

15 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 24, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Yes! I use almond milk 🙂

16 heather July 26, 2012 at 6:39 am

I lOVE banana soft serve, I am always a little sad when I run out of ripened frozen Bananas in the freezer- like you said they are amazing in smoothies too!

And the pic with the overflowing magic shell is amazing – I am so glad you kept that one, it adds such interest 🙂
heather recently posted..summer happiness

17 Naomi Kay August 1, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Hello Heidi!

My cousin and I just found your website and love it! I’m gluten intolerant and made the coconut, raisin bread tonight and it’s delicious.
I love the way your food has such pretty presentation, I don’t know which I like better the colour combinations you put together(I’m an Interior Decorator) or the recipies, I would say both.
So thank you for your fun and lovely website and all the time you put into it.
And your daughter is so sweet(I have four daughters of my own) and I have the very same blanket that is wrapped around your daughter in the picture.
Naomi Kay

18 Kitty August 21, 2016 at 7:24 am

I can’t get coconut oil 🙁 OR palm oil (I’m UK) The shops here are limited – and the 3 large superstores that are here don’t sell it 🙁 can I use something else? I just want to coat ice lollies (popsicles) then add sprinkles. I have no food processor, so cannot make your full recipe, but I do have ready made home made ice lollies (made with fruit juices),

{ 2 trackbacks }