Honey Limeade Fruit Popsicles(and How to Suspend Fruit in Popsicles)

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 18, 2012

I’m seriously considering having a frozen treats week here on Food Doodles.  I have a couple more no-bake or frozen recipes coming up, but if you’re getting bored, let me know and I’ll post something else 🙂

Anyways, I’ve been looking for ways to put letters into all kinds of things for my son who is finally recognizing letters everywhere!  So I thought popsicles with the first letter of his name would be fun.  And the first letters of his sisters, friends and grandparents names.  He loved it so I thought I’d share.  Of course, getting the fruit to stay in position is the most annoying part, unless you put in on the stick before you make the popsicles!

Like you can see here, it’s super easy to do with watermelon, the popsicle stick should go through the fruit no problem.  Just make sure your letters are facing the right way.  Not that I put them on upside down the first time or anything… 😉

Kiwis(or any fruit with a harder center, I’m assuming) are a little more difficult.  Simply poke a hole with a knife where the popsicle stick will go and hold onto the fruit to keep it from splitting as the popsicle stick goes through.  And tada!

Pour juice around and freeze for fun popsicles with fruit suspended inside them!  I can imagine that many different fruits will work.  I used watermelon and kiwi, but different kinds of melon, mangos, strawberries, maybe even pineapple might work.

Of course you can use different juice if you want.  I made a honey limeade for these(which you can also water down if you want to just drink it) but you can use any clear or lightly colored 100% fruit juice.  We don’t usually drink juice at our house because I would always much rather the kids eat a piece of fruit rather than drink it, for many different reasons.  But I think occasionally in a popsicle wouldn’t be so bad.  I think I’ll give pineapple juice a try next time 🙂

How fun would these be for a party too?  Cut your favorite shapes, or shapes in the theme of your party.  It’s even easier if you have a cookie cutter that will fit inside your popsicle moulds, then just use your cookie cutter!

1 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

These look fantastic! I love the pieces of fruit inside. How clever. 🙂
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..I CAN do it and so CAN you {giveaway}

2 SweetTime July 18, 2012 at 5:30 pm

This is very funny and cool, I never seen something like that before. I like fruit everywhere in food 🙂

3 Baking Serendipity July 18, 2012 at 7:15 pm

These are adorable! And I am definitely game for frozen treats this summer 🙂
Baking Serendipity recently posted..Carrot, Almond and Raisin Energy Bites

4 chinmayie @ love food eat July 19, 2012 at 1:10 am

Such a cool idea!! I am surely making these for my popsicle loving daughter 🙂
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Bitter Black Chocolate Brownies (Vegan, Soy-free, Gluten-free)

5 Kathryn July 19, 2012 at 3:05 am

What a fantastic idea! I would never have thought of doing something like this but it’s so effective!
Kathryn recently posted..dark chocolate and olive oil cookies

6 Joanne July 19, 2012 at 6:36 am

Oh man how fun are these! They would make awesome party treats…you could even do themed fruit shapes!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Summer Squash and Ricotta Galette {eat.live.be}

7 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes July 19, 2012 at 4:32 pm

How adorable! Those look so refreshing and delicious!
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Mexican Quinoa Salad

8 Alaine @ My GF & DF Living July 19, 2012 at 8:26 pm

These are absolutely adorable! I love the idea of healthy fruit cool-down treat.

9 Tes July 20, 2012 at 4:16 am

This is sooo cute 🙂 Look so refreshing and delightful 🙂
Tes recently posted..Red Velvet Pancake

10 Danielle June 12, 2013 at 1:16 am

These look delicious! Where did you get your popsicle molds from?
Danielle recently posted..The Perfect Summertime Picnic