Chili Black Bean Burgers

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on July 25, 2012

So… I love veggie burgers.  Not veggie burgers trying to be meat, but bean burgers filled with veggies.  I’ve confessed my love for them before.  One of my favorites is this falafel burger(that I should really rephotograph!).  I don’t put ketchup on many things(although I did while I was pregnant this last time) but veggie burgers with ketchup and crispy lettuce….  Yum!

I’m not usually a fan of the bun though.  Although sometimes a really good bun is the best part, right?  As you can kind of see in these pictures, I usually get the really thin buns because I’d usually just rather not have one at all.  Which is why I wrapped some smaller burgers or nuggets up in lettuce and loved them that way.  How do you like your burgers?

Speaking of my love for veggie burgers… Last time I went crazy on them I made my husband sick of them.  We ate them often, to put it mildly.  So I’ve been holding off on making more, for fear he wouldn’t even try them.  Well, before I even got to it, he asked if he could have the nuggets wrapped in lettuce leaves after I finished taking pictures.  I was nervous, but he actually enjoyed them!  Yay!  Veggie burgers are back!  But I don’t think I’ll be making them every second day or anything…

I will say though, that the key to good veggie burgers is texture.  I can’t stand a mushy burger, but I don’t mind veggie burgers like this when the “batter” is just barely processed.  You should still see whole and pieces of beans – don’t turn them into dip!

Just to show you, for the kids I usually make nuggets.  Burgers are messy and usually the only thing that doesn’t get left on the plate is the burger anyways, so to avoid the trouble I serve them like this.  And I wont lie, I like them like this too 🙂  Perfect beside a salad or with carrot or celery sticks and dip on the side.

1 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 25, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I totally agree that it’s all about the texture. I hate mushy veggie burgers! I make mine into nuggets for Meghan, too. 🙂
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..Homemade baby food recipe: creamy oatmeal with pears

2 chinmayie @ love food eat July 25, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I just made a batch of veggie burgers last night! Mine was a combination of black beans and chickpeas… Have been wanting to blog it so hopefully will share my version soon 🙂
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..Healthy Banana Coconut Bread (Vegan)

3 Sarah P July 25, 2012 at 8:28 pm

This looks like a SWEET recipe! I love the black bean burgers that Morningstar sells. These look just like them!

4 Aggie July 25, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Your bean burgers & nuggets look absolutely perfect! I love bean burgers so much, but would you believe never made them at home??? Crazy! I’m intimated and afraid they would turn to mush. I’m following your lead…I’m with you too on loving veggie burgers filled with beans, not the ones with fake meat. Great recipe!

5 Kathryn July 26, 2012 at 2:25 am

Such a great idea to make small ones for the kiddos; they look really tasty too.
Kathryn recently posted..blueberry and almond muffins

6 alison July 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I added 1/2 cup of parmesean cheese because the chili powder ended up being too spicey for my 1 y/o. I also subbed roasted portabello mushrooms for the red pepper, since I didnt have any on hand! They were delicious. Definitely making again!

7 Linda L Martin March 26, 2013 at 10:50 am

I’m looking for black bean burger recipe like the one that I’ve had at Chili’s. We are not eating out any more, as we are trying to get out of debt and lose weight. I’ll have to try this one. Your blog looks so interesting!
~Linda
http://www.lindalmartin.com Making better and healthier choices in our home and family
http://www.ernestmartinjr.com My husband’s inspiring weight loss journey