Real Breakfast Cookies(Vegan and Gluten Free)

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on September 11, 2012

Real Breakfast Cookies(Vegan and Gluten Free)

So I have a little bit of a problem with recipes that are named breakfast cookies, but have ingredients I wouldn’t want for breakfast.  Like a cup of butter and a cup(or more) of sugar.  Of course no one’s eating the whole recipe, but I’m guessing a serving of one of these that is big enough to last me until lunch probably has way more butter than I’d put on a piece on toast and way more sugar than I put on my oatmeal.  Not to mention that fresh fruit is always a huge part of my breakfast, and usually “breakfast” cookies don’t contain any fresh fruit.  Not saying I wouldn’t enjoy said breakfast cookies, but I’m not about to give my 2 year old a sugary, buttery, refined flour “breakfast cookie” first thing in the morning.  These however, I wouldn’t think twice about giving my kids any time of day.

Real Breakfast Cookies(Vegan and Gluten Free)

Now don’t get me wrong, these aren’t exactly cookies.  Definitely not the chewy in the middle with crisp edges kind of cookie that I like.  But they are in a handy cookie shape for on the go breakfasts.  The only thing I’d change would be to add a little bit of fat, but since I enjoy them with a little spoonful of peanut butter on top, I didn’t worry about it.

Real Breakfast Cookies(Vegan and Gluten Free)

They’re only 215 calories for 2 so a big spoonful of peanut butter on top is perfect  :)  They do have a few nuts to give them a little more staying power too, but I’m sure you could add a few more if you don’t want to add nut butter on top.

Real Breakfast Cookies(Vegan and Gluten Free)

Other than that, these cookies don’t have anything you wouldn’t eat for breakfast.  Oats, fresh fruit, dried fruit, nuts and a tiny bit of maple syrup(about 1/2 tsp per 2 cookie serving if you’re wondering).  Oh, and they’re sweet, like I like my oatmeal.

Real Breakfast Cookies(Vegan and Gluten Free)

Just a note:  My son just started Kindergarten so I’m running quite behind.  If you’ve left a question lately, I’ll get to it soon.  Promise!

For now, I  hope you enjoy these Real Breakfast Cookies!

Real Breakfast Cookies(Vegan and Gluten Free)

Real Breakfast Cookies(Vegan and Gluten Free)

Author:
Yield: 12 cookies, or 6-2 cookie servings
Ingredients
  • 1 c unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 c mashed banana(about 2 large)
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • ½ C dried cranberries
  • ¼ C roughly chopped almonds
  • ¾ - 1 C fresh strawberries finely chopped
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • 1½ C old fashioned rolled oats(certified gluten free if necessary)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare one baking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick baking sheet and set aside.
  2. In a bowl stir together the applesauce, mashed bananas and maple syrup. Add in the dried fruit, nuts and fresh fruit. Sprinkle the cinnamon and salt over the mixture and then stir in the oats. When completely combined, drop 12 - ¼ cupfuls on the prepared baking sheet. They do not spread so place as closely together as possible without touching. Pat the cookies down to about ½" thick and 2.5" around, being sure to press anything that has fallen out of the cookie as it will not hold together.
  3. Place cookies in the oven and bake for 30 minutes till golden, rotating the sheet around half way through baking. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies rest for 5-10 minutes before gently removing them and placing them on a cooling rack.
Notes
For this batch I added dried apricots, you could also use raisins, dried plums or any of your other favorite dried fruits, as long as they are chopped into raisin sized pieces. Change the flavors by using different spices and fresh fruits! Store any leftovers in the fridge and enjoy them cold. They do get a little sticky after being in the fridge though, due to the fruit.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 2 cookies(using ¾ C strawberries and sweetened dried cranberries) Calories: 215 Fat: 4.7g Carbohydrates: 42g Protein: 4.3g

Real Breakfast Cookies(Vegan and Gluten Free)

1 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama September 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I totally agree with your assessment of most of the “breakfast cookie” recipes you’ll find around the web. These look perfect though!
Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama recently posted..End-of-summer vegetable soup

2 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} September 11, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Yes! I LOVE breakfast cookies and these look perfect! Yum!
Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} recently posted..Roasted Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas

3 Holiday Baker Man September 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

Very rustic!
Holiday Baker Man recently posted..Inspiration….. Silversea Silver Spirit Transatlantic Part 4

4 Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies September 12, 2012 at 11:10 am

My mom made a special request for me to post a breakfast cookie recipe, so I’ve been working on one too–I’ve been having trouble coming up with something that’s tasty and cookie-like but healthy too! These look so pretty with the fruit in them and I love that you didn’t compromise on nutrition.
Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies recently posted..A Guide to Winter Squash

5 Michaela September 12, 2012 at 1:30 pm

thanks so much for a “real” breakfast cookie! totally agree! just bc one is using ww flour or agave sirup, does not mean the cookie is healthy!
Michaela recently posted..Ein paar Neuigkeiten.

6 Eat Good 4 Life September 12, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Oh boy, these sure are breakfast cookies. I could eat them all in one sitting. These would also be great as a school snack for my son. I need to make something like these so that he can take them. He would love them!! I really like that these only have only very little maple syrup as a sweetener.
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Apple and caramel coffee cake

7 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking September 12, 2012 at 7:55 pm

our favorite breakfast cookies, although I do not make them that often are apple cookies.
I’ll have to try your version, sounds delicious
Roxana | Roxana’s Home Baking recently posted..Brownie bottom cheesecake

8 Joanne September 13, 2012 at 5:37 am

I prefer good-for-you items for breakfast also and these cookies definitely fit the bill!
Joanne recently posted..Recipe: Tomato Tart

9 surlykitchen September 13, 2012 at 7:06 am

oooh, i love these. they look and sound delicious. i’m adding them to my “to make” list.
surlykitchen recently posted..My Vacation…in Pictures

10 heather September 13, 2012 at 10:24 am

Serioulsy those so called “breakfast cookies” have nothing on these = love the redo!
heather recently posted..green curry corn chowder

11 Laurie September 13, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Just curious…I have a child who is allergic to banana. Would any pureed fruit work in it’s place? Or does the banana have a special function in this recipe? thanks!

12 Heidi @ Food Doodles September 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I think another kind of pureed fruit would work too(as long as it’s not too watery or too sour as the banana gives these a lot of sweetness). Or you could even just substitute more applesauce.

13 Katy May 24, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Canned pumpkin (like Libby’s…not pumpkin pie filling) may work in place of mashed bananas. However, you might need a little moe maple syrup since it won’t be as sweet as the banana. Experiment. I suppose it all depends on your sweet acuity.

14 Jen@TheFitHousewife September 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I agree with the whole “breakfast cookie” thing…they can be so unhealthy. These look great though..and I love the PB on top :)
Jen@TheFitHousewife recently posted..Raspberry Layer Cake

15 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 14, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Oh Heidi, these look PERFECT! And can I just give you a huge hug for keeping the fat low because there is NOTHING better than schmearing peanut butter all over something for breakfast! I’d take my fat ON versus IN any day! :D
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..Did You Know…?

16 Lori September 16, 2012 at 8:42 pm

These look amazing! Definitely worth getting up for. I’m always looking for snacks like this pre-workout or for breakfast. Can’t wait to try them.
Lori recently posted..Roasted Eggplant and Black Lentil Soup Recipe

17 Kelly @ Inspired Edibles September 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

These oatmeal breakfast cookies look *gorgeous* and the ingredients are even more encouraging!
Kelly @ Inspired Edibles recently posted..Slow-Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Garlic with Herbed Ricotta & Balsamic

18 Genevieve September 18, 2012 at 11:23 am

I definitely share that pet peeve. Just because there is one healthy ingredient in a cookie recipe doesn’t mean it can be called a breakfast cookie if its still full of sugar and butter! I like snacks that are full of “mix-ins”, so these breakfast cookies sound perfect with the nuts, dried fruit and even fresh fruit!
Genevieve recently posted..Chai-Spiced Pear and Walnut Muffins

19 Lou September 20, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Healthy, transportable toddler-snacks…. these are awesome :)
Lou recently posted..Anti Candida Crusade

20 Erin @ Texanerin Baking September 23, 2012 at 9:42 am

These look SO good! I don’t get the breakfast cookie thing. What makes them breakfast-y? Oats and cinnamon? I mean, I understand yours, it’s the others that I just don’t get.
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..100% Whole Grain Cinnamon Apple Crackers

21 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes September 28, 2012 at 10:46 am

Wow, this looks so good! I love cookies that can be eaten for breakfast! :)
Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes recently posted..Berry Crisp & Giveaway!

22 Tracie Smith October 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I made these today and used dried apricots and homemade applesauce (made a trip the Charlottesville area last weekend and made a huge haul of beautiful apples). These were great especially with a smear of almond butter on top. Next time I will either put in another small scoop of oats or cut back a little on the apples & bananas because they were a little soft for me but that’s just my preference. Thanks so much for the recipe. I’ve got healthy, delicious cookies for breakfast now!!

23 Girlnpurpledres November 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

A gorgeous recipe Heidi! Well done, tasty with fruit. What a fantastic idea for a mummy on the run or the busy career woman who needs a quick breakfast. Yummy.
Girlnpurpledres recently posted..Food Lovers’ Essential Photography Tips by Krishanthi Williams

24 marla December 11, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Love this! Linking back to this post in an upcoming FFC post :)

25 Celeste January 15, 2013 at 5:24 am

Thank you! What I love most actually is that I can easily switch out the nutty mix-ins for seeds and make these for my nut-allergic family. Every recipe I have found has peanut butter as a main ingredient in the batter-dough and it drives me nuts! :) I’m not clever enough to find a substitute in my own…and now I don’t have to. Thank you!

26 hilda January 24, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I’m wondering if the mix could be pressed into a baking, or brownie, pan, baked, and then cut into bars? I would prefer making them that way but not sure about temp and baking time.

27 rashonna May 10, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I just made these with my daughter for Mothers Day breakfast. They are so tasty! I doubled the batch to have extra to send home, I ran out of cranberries and substituted dried apricots, and did half honey and half maple syrup, plus added TBS spoon of chia and flax seed for the heck of it. Thanks for the recipe! I will make them again:)

28 Joanne T Ferguson July 6, 2013 at 12:37 am

Gday! Cookies for brekkie that are healthy!
QUICK, I better print out and make your lovely recipe!
Cheers! Joanne
Joanne T Ferguson recently posted..Eating My Way Through The Pantry

29 Stephanie November 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Could I use coconut oil or eggs instead of unsweetened applesauce?