Today is a rainy, cold, miserable day here. Although I’m sure it is far more miserable elsewhere in the world and I’m keeping those on the east coast in my thoughts. I did think that some hot chocolate would be a nice thing to share today. I think we could all use a mug of this 🙂
I made this hot chocolate vegan by using almond milk. And to be totally honest, it was awesome. I almost think dairy milk would have been too thick and rich unless you use low fat. Sometimes I really prefer almond milk, and this is one of those instances. But go with what you enjoy. The pumpkin in this makes it slightly thick and creamier than regular hot chocolate. I did use a homemade pumpkin puree though so a store bought pumpkin puree will be thicker. I’m not sure if I’d want this any thicker, so maybe use less of a store bought pumpkin puree.
Oh and that in the background? I’ll share that soon. I may tweak the recipe a little before I share it though. That’s chai spiced apple butter in the center of those bars though. Can you say yum? I’m happy to have to make those again soon to test the recipe out 😀
For now, enjoy some hot chocolate and I hope everyone stays safe over the next couple days!
- 2 C milk(almond milk works perfectly)
- ¼ C homemade pumpkin puree(use less of store bought puree as it's thicker)
- ¾ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- dash of vanilla
- On the stove in a small pot, whisk together the milk, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, cocoa, maple syrup(or honey) and pinch of salt.
- Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Whisk and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla and cool until ready to serve, or serve immediately with a splash of extra milk, a dollop of whipped cream, marshmallows or your favorite other hot chocolate toppings.