Grain-Free, Cookie Dough Energy Bites

by Heidi @ Food Doodles on November 27, 2012

These are probably my simplest energy bites yet.  And you would not believe how fast they were eaten.  They’re like cookie dough so I think you can assume how awesome these are.

I realize I usually stay away from anything processed, but in this case we had some Halloween candy still hanging around that I wanted to use up.  I can guarantee these are just as yummy with your favorite dark chocolate chips, or even cacao nibs.  Or go a completely different route with dried fruit, chopped nuts or seeds.  Really, you can do anything with these.

Don’t they even look like cookie dough?  Yum!

If you missed them, here are my original energy bites(with a kind of “formula” that you can adapt to what you like) and a chocolate version.

Just a quick note, don’t use coconut flour in these.  You’ll need to actually grind up your regular shredded coconut to get the right texture.  If you don’t mind grains, check out the original energy bites I linked to, or you can always use rolled oats or even oat bran, wheat germ or whatever else you can think of that’s similar.

I hope all my American readers had a lovely Thanksgiving(and long weekend if you got one!)  My hubby is catching up on his vacation time for this year before this year is over(is it really that time of the year already?) so hopefully things wont be too sporadic around here.  I haven’t decided what I’m posting later in the week yet, but I have some delicious and festive whole wheat biscotti to share and some raw peanut butter cookies among other things.  Stay tuned!  And I hope you enjoy these for now!

Grain-Free, Cookie Dough Energy Bites

Prep time
Total time

Author:
Recipe type: Snack
Yield: 1½ dozen
Ingredients
  • ½ C natural peanut butter
  • ¼ C honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch sea salt
  • 1½ - 1¾ C unsweetened shredded coconut, ground in a blender or food processor
  • ½ - ¾ C chocolate chips, cacao nibs, m&m's or smarties, or dried fruit or chopped nuts
Instructions
  1. Gently warm the peanut butter and honey if needed and stir together. Add the vanilla and sea salt and stir well.
  2. Measure and then grind the coconut just until finely ground. Add the coconut to the peanut butter mixture and stir well adding as much as needed up to 1¾ cups. The mixture will still be sticky.
  3. When completely combined, add any extra addins(chocolate chips, etc) and stir in. Cool the mixture before adding chocolate chips if it's still warm as the chips will melt.
  4. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle. Or refrigerate overnight and remove from the fridge for 30 minutes or so until soft enough to roll into balls. Scoop spoon sized pieces and roll into balls.
  5. Place in a container and store in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
Notes
Mix up these energy bites by adding any kind of different nuts or seeds or even dried fruit instead of chocolate chips or cacao nibs.
Feel free to reduce the amount of honey slightly, just be sure to add a little extra nut butter or reduce the amount of ground coconut and addins. These are fairly sweet so even half as much honey would still be sweet enough.
Almond butter is a great alternative to the peanut butter used in these.
If the bites are too soft to pile up in a container, to store, place on a plate or baking sheet and chill in the fridge before transferring them to a container to store.

1 Eat Good 4 Life November 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I am loving these little balls 🙂 They look much more festive with the M&M’s….today I used M&M’s for the first time ever in one of my cookies and I hate using them because of the artificial colors in them. I need to find a substitute….they just look so good though 🙂
Eat Good 4 Life recently posted..Banana and chocolate cake

2 Heidi @ Food Doodles November 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I feel the exact same way! I never even buy them usually, but since I had them laying around after Halloween…. As much as I hate the artificial colors, I do hate wasting too so I thought I’d use them up instead of just throwing them out. They are so pretty though! I hate it when I feel so conflicted about food, haha!

3 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 27, 2012 at 6:54 pm

I love this simple recipe! I can tell just by looking at the pictures and the ingredients that I will love these. 🙂
Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} recently posted..Grateful

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm

These look so good, Heidi! The grain free thing is right up my alley right now 🙂
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..No bake chocolate coco pumpkin bars

5 Ari @ Ari's Menu November 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Heidi, these look amazing!! They look so gooey like the perfect cookie dough that you just want to eat straight out of the bowl! I will definitely be giving these a try.
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..PF Chang’s Marathon Training Week 2

6 chinmayie @ love food eat November 28, 2012 at 1:47 am

Yum! It looks so good.
chinmayie @ love food eat recently posted..‘Sundakkai Kara Kuzhambu’, Turkey Berry in Tamarind Curry.

7 Kathryn November 28, 2012 at 5:23 am

These sound really delicious. I’ve just a got a food processor too so I can’t wait to try these!
Kathryn recently posted..chocolate & salted caramel bundt cake

8 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) November 28, 2012 at 6:12 pm

These look delicious! I’ve seen many similar recipes around blogland and keep meaning to make some – it would be a perfect treat for my husband!
Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) recently posted..Midweek Motivation – 11.28.12

9 Julie November 29, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Do you think that protein powder could be added to these? The recipe looks great!

10 Heather November 29, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Love the ingredient list- so simple, these look like they could be addicting!
Heather recently posted..roasted beet & carrot salad ~ tempeh "croutons"

11 Anna (Hidden Ponies) November 30, 2012 at 9:22 am

Ooh, I’m trying these today! Love the ground coconut idea, saves me going to buy coconut flour 🙂
Anna (Hidden Ponies) recently posted..Friday Fun!

12 Erin @ Texanerin Baking December 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm

They’re so colorful! I would happily eat these. Artificial coloring doesn’t deter me one bit. 🙂 And how interesting with the coconut. I would have never imagined that coconut could produce something like this.
Erin @ Texanerin Baking recently posted..Grain- and Gluten-Free Fresh Mint Double Chocolate Cookies

13 The Healthy Apple December 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm

These look amazing; just found your site through one of my great friends and I love your work and recipes…your photos are beautiful.
Happy Holidays!

14 Andrea June 19, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Just made these yummo I used almond extract instead of vanilla super good and added flaked coconut along with chocolate chips very good

15 Machelle April 4, 2015 at 3:46 pm

SO yummy! Thanks for a quick little cookie dough substitution 🙂

{ 3 trackbacks }