How good does this look?
I really can’t get over how good this is. I just had a bowlful but I’m seriously contemplating another. I might wait till dinner time, but I’m having more of this today 😀 The creamy, smooth butternut squash is just perfect in this. It’s just a teeny tiny bit sweet from the squash, and of course a little spicy from the peppers and toasty from the cheese on top. Perfection!
I mean just check it out…
Oh yes! This stuff is awesome. Of course, cooking up some butternut squash is not hard to do. I usually do a few at at time so I can puree it and freeze it for times like this. Just take the stem off your squash, chop it in half with a big sharp knife, scoop out the seeds and place it cut side down in a baking pan filled 1/2″ with water and bake at 350 till the squash is tender or easily poked through the skin with a knife or fork.
Surprisingly enough my kids actually enjoyed this. I thought I’d have this all to myself but after letting my kids try it they both wanted some! Oh well, I don’t mind sharing. If your jalapenos are especially spicy, your kiddos might not enjoy it as much, but that’s OK too right? 😉
Speaking of kiddos, I fully expected to be able to post this yesterday but my little one got sick and we spent most of the morning at the hospital just getting checked out. Poor little thing. She’s fine and will get better over the next week, but lots of cuddles were in order yesterday 🙂
I can already tell you my New Years resolution for the blog(and since I don’t really do the whole resolution thing, it’s really just my goal) is to schedule my posts ahead of time. I usually have everything ready to go at least a few days in advance but then I write it before I post, but that needs to change. I feel so disorganized doing things this way! If you’re a blogger, how do you do things?
For now, I hope you enjoy this wonderful mac and cheese! And have a great weekend!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 large jalapenos, stem and seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp whole wheat flour or all purpose
- 1 C milk
- 1 C butternut squash puree
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 10 oz aged cheddar cheese grated or thinly sliced, plus more for topping if desired
- 1 375g box whole grain macaroni
- Cook pasta according to the instructions found on the box.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pan. Add the finely chopped jalapenos and cook until as tender as desired, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix until completely combined. Cook for another minute before whisking in the milk. Bring up to a boil or until the milk has thickened.
- Stir in the butternut squash puree and bring back up to temperature.
- Once the mixture is hot, turn the heat down to low and add the salt and cheese. Stir until completely melted then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the macaroni and serve as is, or place in individual sized dishes(or one large dish) top with extra grated cheese and a sprinkle of chopped or sliced jalapenos for some extra heat and broil until golden. Enjoy!
Even the outtakes looked good 😀