Whole wheat zucchini bread the whole family will love! Studded with chocolate chips and walnuts and flavored with lots of spices, there’s something everyone will love in the this whole wheat zucchini bread!
So not too long ago I realized I have never shared just a plain old zucchini bread recipe here on Food Doodles. How is that even possible? Anyways, here I am finally with a delicious zucchini bread recipe. What bothers me about most zucchini recipes is that they don’t use enough zucchini! This bread is a great example of a bread recipe that uses a decent amount of zucchini. Although 3 1/2 C isn’t a lot of zucchini when you really have a ton this recipe does double and even quadruple very nicely and the bread freezes wonderfully.
So my mom gave me two zucchini. The last time I made this zucchini bread I made 4x the recipe and didn’t even use up one whole zucchini. So you can imagine I was a bit desperate to use up some zucchini. There’s even a piece still in my fridge. Not to mention this is in addition to my own zucchini plants. My own plants didn’t do as well this year, but have still been producing smaller zucchini like the ones you see in the background of the pictures.
Feel free to drop your amazing zucchini recipes in the comments below. I’m going to need them for a little while yet!
- 2¼ C white whole wheat or whole spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ⅛ tsp cloves
- ½ C salted butter, melted
- ¾ C brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3½ C zucchini, shredded and squeezed in a clean kitchen towel to remove some of the liquid
- ¾ C walnuts or chocolate chips, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a loaf pan by lightly greasing or buttering and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together the melted butter and sugar. Add the eggs and beat until each is incorporated. Stir in the zucchini.
- Stir in the dry ingredients just until incorporated, adding walnuts or chocolate chips if desired.
- Add batter to the prepared loaf pan and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Turn out onto a cooling rack when done and cool before slicing.